Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Why is my mouth always open?
Why is my mouth always open?
2005-04-10, 1:13 PM #1
For some odd reason, my mouth always seems to be involuntarily open. When I'm not talking, even when I'm eating (which is gross and noisy), when I'm putting my contact lenses in. I am completely unaware of it. I only know because my younger sister likes to make fun of me, which is highly embarrassing, because I THINK that it is really closed. It must look horrible at the meal table.

I've done about 30 minutes of Googling for this, which is hopeless, regardless of how I phrase the search. I'm just wondering if anyone else has this problem (I know a girl at school who does this, and it looks really stupid - that's what I must look like).

To give some background info, I am 16, male, 6' 2", 160 lbs, don't drink enough, am taking medication, and have Asperger's Syndrome.

Any help, reassurance or techniques for coping are much appreciated! :)
My JK Level Design | 2005 JK Hub Level Pack (Plexus) | Massassi Levels
2005-04-10, 1:18 PM #2
omg i have that too! im gradually openin it less frequently n not as wide either coz my moms mdae fun of me for like hte past 5 years but i dunno..when im really focusing on something like watchin tv or listening tosomeone talk i kinda open my mouth a litlte. havin it totally pursed-lipped shut for me requires work. also i find my breathing alot more noticible when i shut my mouth..which kinda indicates that i breathe through my mouth a little more than jus passively
[teletubbie voice] BIG HUG!!!! [/teletubbie voice]
2005-04-10, 1:20 PM #3
I walk around with mine slightly open, you know, for air, but its not noticable
nope.
2005-04-10, 1:22 PM #4
My mouth remains closed at all times unless food is being inserted or air flow through my nostrils has been constricted or is insufficient.
New! Fun removed by Vinny :[
2005-04-10, 1:24 PM #5
Quote:
Originally posted by Wolvie17
omg i have that too! im gradually openin it less frequently n not as wide either coz my moms mdae fun of me for like hte past 5 years but i dunno..when im really focusing on something like watchin tv or listening tosomeone talk i kinda open my mouth a litlte. havin it totally pursed-lipped shut for me requires work. also i find my breathing alot more noticible when i shut my mouth..which kinda indicates that i breathe through my mouth a little more than jus passively

Yep, EXACTLY the smae thing i deal with - the breathing more heavily when closed, opening my mouth when concentrating, etc.

In fact, whenever I play computer games (Unreal Tournament in particular) my friend laughs hysterically at me, because he says "OK, now Ross, just close your mouth, not hard." I'll close it, and then 15 seconds later he'll start laughing again because it's gaping wide open. :(

I'm often lost in thought when it happens, and it amkes me look very nerdy. Plus I'm one of the elads i nmy school's shakespeare production, so I must stop this.

Any tips Wolvie?
2005-04-10, 1:29 PM #6
Sit in front of a mirror and focus on not doing it. Everytime you find yourself doing it, force yourself not to.
Detty. Professional Expert.
Flickr Twitter
2005-04-10, 1:30 PM #7
I do it, but only when concentrating VERY hard.
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2005-04-10, 1:32 PM #8
Don't worry; this thing is not as serious as you might think it is. It's basically a habbit (such as biting your nails). Try doing somthing over the next few weeks: Inhale through your nose, and then gently exhale through your mouth, while keeping your mouth almost closed.

Don't worry about it though, everyone has a habbit. The way I sit at school is very, very awkward, but comfy for me, so I do it.
2005-04-10, 1:36 PM #9
I guess you're just one of thiose mouth breathers. :p

It's probably just a habit you've picked up. Some sort of shock therapy will take care of the problem though. :D
Pissed Off?
2005-04-10, 1:47 PM #10
You may (or may not) have noticed that children tend to breathe through their bellies and adults through their upper chest. Of course, the air always goes into the lungs, but the lungs can either expand downwards or upwards. This occurs because the rib cage and it's surrounding muscles in children isn't fully develloped. Children also seem to breathe through their mouthes more while adults prefer breathing through their noses. This is because children's nostrils and nasal passages are generally smaller and restrict air flow, or get blocked easier. During your teens, you should progressively stop breathing through your mouth and stop expanding your lungs downwards. Some people just take longer to do this, but it does go away naturally with time.
The music industry is a cruel and shallow money trench where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.
2005-04-10, 2:03 PM #11
People that always have their mouths open bug me like crazy. I think it's because you look stupid when you always have your mouth hanging open. It doesn't mean you're stupid, but you look it.

I don't know what you look like, and I'm not calling you stupid. You should definately start closing your mouth, though.

Oh, and would it be rude to tell someone to shut their mouth?
2005-04-10, 2:07 PM #12
No, it's not rude. Telling them to shut their face is, though.
Very funny Scotty. Now beam down my clothes.
2005-04-10, 2:09 PM #13
If Mary Poppins has taught you anything it is to close your mouth. We are not codfish.
twitter | flickr | last.fm | facebook |
2005-04-10, 2:30 PM #14
Quote:
Originally posted by Axis
People that always have their mouths open bug me like crazy. I think it's because you look stupid when you always have your mouth hanging open. It doesn't mean you're stupid, but you look it.

I don't know what you look like, and I'm not calling you stupid. You should definately start closing your mouth, though.

Oh, and would it be rude to tell someone to shut their mouth?

It's funny you should say that, because I wish people would tell me. I don't know otherwise! Why does everyone have to be so bloody polite all the time!!!! :mad:
2005-04-10, 2:47 PM #15
Quote:
Originally posted by Flexor
You may (or may not) have noticed that children tend to breathe through their bellies and adults through their upper chest. Of course, the air always goes into the lungs, but the lungs can either expand downwards or upwards. This occurs because the rib cage and it's surrounding muscles in children isn't fully develloped. Children also seem to breathe through their mouthes more while adults prefer breathing through their noses. This is because children's nostrils and nasal passages are generally smaller and restrict air flow, or get blocked easier. During your teens, you should progressively stop breathing through your mouth and stop expanding your lungs downwards. Some people just take longer to do this, but it does go away naturally with time.

So you mean that you should stop using your diaphram? In band they always tell us to breath through our shomachs (you chest goes out too) because you can take in more air that way.
"Flowers and a landscape were the only attractions here. And so, as there was no good reason for coming, nobody came."
2005-04-10, 5:45 PM #16
Quote:

Flexor is right. When you are just a tinnie tiny phetous, you used to get food by the oblictical (I know I horribly misspelled that word) cord and used a stomach in-out motion. When you're a child, you still remeber that motion, and breathe that way also, along with the restricted nasal air pathways.
2005-04-10, 5:48 PM #17
Quote:
Originally posted by oSiRiS
My mouth remains closed at all times unless food is being inserted or air flow through my nostrils has been constricted or is insufficient.

What about when you want to talk? :p
2005-04-10, 5:50 PM #18
Quote:
Originally posted by Shintock
What about when you want to talk? :p

Is he a mime? Is that why he types things here to us, instead of asking a doctor what's wrong? :)
2005-04-10, 6:42 PM #19
Quote:
Originally posted by Bobbert006
So you mean that you should stop using your diaphram? In band they always tell us to breath through our shomachs (you chest goes out too) because you can take in more air that way.

That's a myth. You can take in just as much air either way. And I don't see how you could breathe without using your diaphragm.
The music industry is a cruel and shallow money trench where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.
2005-04-10, 6:52 PM #20
Just stick something in your mouth and start chewing on it. I personally recommend a metal object of some sort, but if you're a wuss you can chew on plastic too. Metal is far superior though. Try chewing on a piece of a pop can.
Stuff
2005-04-10, 7:04 PM #21
When I concentrate very hard, I stick my tongue between my teeth and lightly grip it with my incisors.

As for the mouth-open thing - well, it's not all uncommon for your mouth to hang open when you're putting in contacts. I've made the mistake of leaving my mouth open sometimes, unaware, and end up drooling on myself. :o
the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot - LC Tusken
2005-04-10, 7:05 PM #22
Quote:
Originally posted by Wolfy
As for the mouth-open thing - well, it's not all uncommon for your mouth to hang open when you're putting in contacts. I've made the mistake of leaving my mouth open sometimes, unaware, and end up drooling on myself. :o

hehe, yeah, I've been there . . . :o
2005-04-10, 7:24 PM #23
Look around, watch people at school. A lot of people do it.

Especially while watching television. The 'numbed brain, mouth slightly open, eyes glazed over' look is big around here.
My Parkour blog
My Twitter. Follow me!
2005-04-10, 7:33 PM #24
^^^ Exactly. I see it at school all the time and have never asked why people do it, thank God I don't...
America, home of the free gift with purchase.
2005-04-10, 7:36 PM #25
Quote:
Originally posted by happydud
Look around, watch people at school. A lot of people do it.

Especially while watching television. The 'numbed brain, mouth slightly open, eyes glazed over' look is big around here.

It's so funny you say that, because both this girl and myself got High Honors last year, which is a 97.5 or above average for the whole school year - that was in 9th grade. I just hate the misconception of "stupidity" it causes. :/
2005-04-10, 7:45 PM #26
Oh no no, it's definitely just a muscle thing. Now, having your mouth open six or seven inches with drool coming out, etc might be different, but a mouth open < an inch is pretty common.
My Parkour blog
My Twitter. Follow me!
2005-04-10, 7:50 PM #27
Strange this topic should come up, as i was /just/ talking with someone abuot how few things annoy me more than people who wander around all slack-jawed and open-mouthed. They remind me of bottom-feeders with their big glazed-over eyes like theyre hoping to sift some fish-eggs out of the air or summat.

Now i know some really great cool people, who still do it, so it's nothing personal, it just seems so.. i dunno, like lazy or just kinda puts this whole air of lack of caring or effort or what-have-you.

No offense intended, these are just my visceral reactions any time i see it.
Also, I can kill you with my brain.
2005-04-10, 9:22 PM #28
Quote:
Originally posted by Dormouse
Strange this topic should come up, as i was /just/ talking with someone abuot how few things annoy me more than people who wander around all slack-jawed and open-mouthed. They remind me of bottom-feeders with their big glazed-over eyes like theyre hoping to sift some fish-eggs out of the air or summat.

Now i know some really great cool people, who still do it, so it's nothing personal, it just seems so.. i dunno, like lazy or just kinda puts this whole air of lack of caring or effort or what-have-you.

No offense intended, these are just my visceral reactions any time i see it.

Trust me, if I could stop I would, but seeing as I'm not even aware of it half the time, it's very hard to find countermeasures... :/

So, doesn anyone know of an actual medical term or condition that might cause this or possible environmental factors - what triggers this, how to cope. That would be most beneficial.
2005-04-10, 9:30 PM #29
Jeebus, you guys are sure a judgemental bunch of [edited].
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2005-04-10, 9:34 PM #30
No, I don't think there are any medical terms or conditions that cause this.

>:/

*walks off*
2005-04-10, 9:51 PM #31
This thread is Cletus approved. :p
Real Programmers always confuse Christmas and Halloween because Oct31 == Dec25
2005-04-10, 10:13 PM #32
I could make a really really realyl awful joke regarding the thread title...

But anyways, I too am one of those mouth-open people.
"His Will Was Set, And Only Death Would Break It"

"None knows what the new day shall bring him"
2005-04-11, 7:23 AM #33
Quote:
Originally posted by Wolfy
Heh, I do that when I'm practicing guitar and concentrating really hard. I occasionally end up dribbling on it, but usually catch myself just before it falls. And of course I make wah shapes with my mouth when I'm using a wah pedal because it (for some reason) helps me 'visualize' the tone shape.
Catloaf, meet mouseloaf.
My music
2005-04-11, 7:49 AM #34
Quote:
Originally posted by Anovis
Don't worry about it though, everyone has a hobbit.

You do?! I want one!
Ban Jin!
Nobody really needs work when you have awesome. - xhuxus
2005-04-11, 9:09 AM #35
My freind does the exact same thing, pisses me off.
I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
2005-04-11, 9:18 AM #36
I literally can't get enough air through my nose so I have no choice :( When I'm out in public I have to make a concious effort to not look like a gomer but sometimes it doesn't help.
2005-04-11, 9:33 AM #37
Quote:
That's a myth. You can take in just as much air either way. And I don't see how you could breathe without using your diaphragm.

wrong. breathing from your chest alone restricts air flow. breathing with relaxed chest and shoulder using mostly muscles in your upper abdomen is especially important for singers. breathing from the chest causes it to rise compressing the sounding box in your neck and sinus cavity. having an open airway increases the purity and resonace of the sound, while also increasing effeciency, you use less air to make the same sound, so you can make more sounds with one breath. make sense?
My girlfriend paid a lot of money for that tv; I want to watch ALL OF IT. - JM
2005-04-11, 9:45 AM #38
My friend has that too. I dont really notice it that much.
|-|E|_|_O
2005-04-11, 11:36 AM #39
Quote:
Originally posted by Ford
wrong. breathing from your chest alone restricts air flow.

Theoretically, if you were really breathing from your chest alone, then yes. But that's not entirely the case. For what doesn't fit within the ribcage, it can be expanded downwards to compensate.
2005-04-11, 12:12 PM #40
As I started reading this thread, I decided to close my mouth... it's really hard to breath through my nose for some reason, so I usually just leave my mouth open I tiny bit.

↑ Up to the top!