Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → I'm going to Germany and Austria on thursday...
I'm going to Germany and Austria on thursday...
2005-04-10, 3:13 PM #1
...for 9 days on an EF Tours trip with about 10 other friends, and it's going to freaking rock! I have 800 Dollars or 1/4th of a Euro if my converting skills are good. I already know I am buying the Amerika single from Rammstein. My dad wants me to buy him all that sexy booze filled German chocolate. Anything else I should look out for? (Not just purchases, but sights and things like that.)
Think while it's still legal.
2005-04-10, 3:18 PM #2
Look out for those MG whores, man, they totally ruin the game. And for chrissakes, go for the flag, don't just camp there! CAMPING NEVER WON ANY WARS!

Er...too much DoD.

Anyways, it's .77-ish Dollars to one Euro...you're quite a bit off.
D E A T H
2005-04-10, 3:24 PM #3
Quote:
Anyways, it's .77-ish Dollars to one Euro...you're quite a bit off.

0.0003125 Euros to a Dollar I thought.

>.>
<.<

I know I was keeeeding.
2005-04-10, 3:45 PM #4
It's a shame you don't drink beer. German beer is so good.
Pissed Off?
2005-04-10, 3:54 PM #5
Kannst du Deutsch sprechen?
Code to the left of him, code to the right of him, code in front of him compil'd and thundered. Programm'd at with shot and $SHELL. Boldly he typed and well. Into the jaws of C. Into the mouth of PERL. Debug'd the 0x258.
2005-04-10, 4:09 PM #6
Ja.

Actually,

Nej. Jag talar svenska inte deutsch.
America, home of the free gift with purchase.
2005-04-10, 4:10 PM #7
American dollar is quite low compared to the Euro. I hope you enjoy the somewhat expensive prices.
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2005-04-10, 4:12 PM #8
Quote:
It's a shame you don't drink beer. German beer is so good.

Heh, my friends and I might get a cold one just to say we got a cold one :D. On the other hand I have friends who will try and get smashed every hour of the day.
2005-04-10, 4:39 PM #9
So join them! :o
America, home of the free gift with purchase.
2005-04-10, 4:53 PM #10
Munich is nice (the train station is awesome - looks like something out of a Bond movie) but I didn't like Vienna. Try to speak a few words of German to cold waiters and they will warm up instantly.
A desperate disease requires a dangerous remedy.

A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.

art
2005-04-10, 5:08 PM #11
Make sure to sample fine dessert liquors in German restaurants. It'll show you just how stupid of hard liquors Americans drink. The various types of schnaps and brandy taste exquisite, unlike the liquid vomit most people get drunk on in the U.S.

The beer is interesting. I don't care for beer though so can't give a good opinion on if it's better or worse, but there's a wine country in Germany that prdocues very good wines. Give half-dry white wines a shot.

It's a hard to find drink if I recall, but get ahold of Bullenschlook (while in Germany). I'm not sure on that spelling. It's one of the most wonderfully tasting things you'll ever drink (sadly it's extremely high proof alcohol, so you shouldn't drink a lot).

I'd almost recommend to not bother with the alcoholic chocolates; buy Hachez (exact spelling, I still have a few boxes) chocloate. Their orange and strawberry extremely dark chocolates are to die for. They make these little leaf-shaped bits of chocolate that come in a fairly large box that are of very high quality and easier to eat than a normal bar of chocolate (since you don't have to break it up).

I don't recall the name of the river at the moment, but you can take a boat ride down a river in Germany that has like a dozen castles lining the banks high up on cliffs. There's many castles to visit, and most are really neat (a few have been raped by modern consumer culture).

Visit the cheese section of a super market; it's amazing how many types of cheese they offer over there!

Stay away from bread rolls. I don't think I've eaten bread that's so rock-hard and tooth-pulling as I did while in Germany. Getting soft bread was a rare treat.

If you wind up on the autobahn somewhere NOT near Berlin, you'll realize all the stuff about "no speed limit" is a big fat lie. Near Berlin it's less of a lie as there are decent stretches with no speed limit, but don't expect it to be some magically ultra-high-speed drive.

It's been a while, but I think it was Koln (Cologne) that's a very ugly industrial city. Most of the others are really beautiful.

Visit any huge cathedrals that you can.

Eat at nice restaurants and blow more money on food than on souvenirs.

QM
2005-04-10, 5:34 PM #12
Go to Berlin, awesome city.

I'd dig it. As a matter of fact, I may be going to Europe for studying abroad in a year or two. :D
Black Water Games | Project Leader and President
Historical Conquerors | The Lays of Middle Earth
www.blackwatergames.com/forums
2005-04-10, 5:46 PM #13
Berlin is actually a 2 day extended trip that costs almost $600!!! That's only 2 days for the cost of almost half the 9 day trip! So no way I am doing that. Too bad though, I really wanted to see Berlin. :(
2005-04-10, 5:49 PM #14
I missed seeing Berlin for similar reasons. It's way out of the way and expensive. =(

QM
2005-04-10, 5:53 PM #15
Quote:
Originally posted by SAJN_Master
...for 9 days on an EF Tours trip with about 10 other friends, and it's going to freaking rock! I have 800 Dollars or 1/4th of a Euro if my converting skills are good. I already know I am buying the Amerika single from Rammstein. My dad wants me to buy him all that sexy booze filled German chocolate. Anything else I should look out for? (Not just purchases, but sights and things like that.)

Das ist toll! Wenn du zu Duetschland gehen, kauft ein Weiss Chocolate Bar. Es ist gut. Ich habe ins Duetschland nicht gefahren, als sagt mir was ist es.
2005-04-10, 5:56 PM #16
Translators have trouble with grammer. And so do I. Anyways:

"That is great! When you go to Germany, buy one of those white chocolate bars. It is good. I have never been to Germany, so tell me what it's like."
2005-04-10, 8:11 PM #17
Stoß
(Bump) Impact???
2005-04-11, 5:47 AM #18
I hear Austrian country side is beautiful. Also enjoy the heavy dark beers of Germany, very very good.
Kenya, Now with lions and tigers.
2005-04-11, 7:49 AM #19
wich town in germany???
SpriteMod (JO 2003) Roger Wilco Skin

Snail racing: (500 posts per line) ---@%
2005-04-11, 7:55 AM #20
Quote:
Originally posted by SAJN_Master
I have 800 Dollars or 1/4th of a Euro if my converting skills are good.

I know you were kidding, but I'm not so sure you were trying to say that the Euro is 3200 times more valuable than the dollar...
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2005-04-11, 7:57 AM #21
Quote:
Nej. Jag talar svenska inte deutsch.

tysk. ¬
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. " - Bertrand Russell
The Triumph of Stupidity in Mortals and Others 1931-1935
2005-04-11, 9:06 AM #22
Quote:
Originally posted by Quib Mask
It's been a while, but I think it was Koln (Cologne) that's a very ugly industrial city. Most of the others are really beautiful.

Visit any huge cathedrals that you can.

You can find the greatest cathedral in Cologne. The Kölner Dom.
I work near it and always go by it on my way to work and it is enormously huge. And they are still in the process of building it!
Sorry for the lousy German
2005-04-11, 9:12 AM #23
I am 1/4 german and another 1/4 Austria-Hungry

Ich will zu garmany gehen, kann mein Vater Deutsch sprechen
I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

↑ Up to the top!