Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → I require lessons in... The Art of Photo Manipulation (aka Photoshopping)
I require lessons in... The Art of Photo Manipulation (aka Photoshopping)
2005-04-11, 7:34 AM #1
I thought it's about time I learnt to do this.

I wish to be able to do a reasonable job of changing the word "Yorkie" into "Voting" in this image:
Detty. Professional Expert.
Flickr Twitter
2005-04-11, 7:36 AM #2
Naturally any websites would be wonderful. Most photoshop tutorials I can find tend to be about useless things like how to create certain effects.
Flickr Twitter
2005-04-11, 7:52 AM #3
Well I learnt all my photoshop by sight and testing. For this piece:

1. Find the yorkie font.
2. Write out Voting in similar size, taking distortion into account.
3. Use the "Edit>transform" to change the perspective etc.
4. Add manually the white crease marks etc.
5. Blue out the Yorkie bar's original colour using either the clone stamp or similar colours.
6. Add the voting text and tweak it to fit.
7. Done?

Something along those lines should do the trick, though that's the simplest ever thing. I'd start out smaller, since that's not really an easy photo manip. Easier projects would include adding new objects into scenes to make it look like they're supposed to be there. Adding new limbs to people can be fun, just get to know the tools. Deviantart.com offers a variety of tutorial links, I think. ;)

Hope it helped at all,
Sneaky.
Sneaky sneaks. I'm actually a werewolf. Woof.
2005-04-11, 12:30 PM #4
30 minute attempt, i'm not happy with the crinkleness on the right side, it doesn't look convincing. But I don't think it's bad for a first attempt.
Flickr Twitter
2005-04-11, 12:42 PM #5
Not bad at all. But, yes, it looks like someone smeared the G a bit.
the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot - LC Tusken
2005-04-11, 12:46 PM #6
Improvement? Yay or Nay?
Flickr Twitter
2005-04-11, 12:50 PM #7
Nope, it's stretched out way too much at the end.
Cut it off shorter.. But that one is better done that the previous one.
2005-04-11, 1:02 PM #8
I think i'm pushing this G far beyond breaking point :p I may need to redo the G from scratch.
Flickr Twitter
2005-04-11, 1:08 PM #9
Getting there! You'll need a sharp shaded edge on top to show that edge, too. Also perhaps gradiantize the lettering a little like on the original, just to make it look more convincing.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2005-04-11, 4:14 PM #10
It's much better than before where it looked like it was folded straight. Now it looks crinkly and stuff. I like it.
Very funny Scotty. Now beam down my clothes.
2005-04-11, 5:21 PM #11
The G is too blurry.
America, home of the free gift with purchase.
2005-04-11, 7:50 PM #12
That's really good for a first effort :)

I think you might need to do that G again from scratch. The lines have to be sharper. You could probably get away with making it the size it is in the first attempt, but sharper.

There are some really good Photoshop tutorials over at worth100.com. The best is IMO the seciton on layer masking:

http://www.worth1000.com/tutorial.asp?sid=160978&page=5

Layer masking will turn your cut and paste MS Paint monstronsity into something that will fool forensics labs. Learn it and love it :)
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
2005-04-12, 7:59 AM #13
What I've always wondered is how you find the fonts for this kind of thing.

Great joke, too. :p
Ban Jin!
Nobody really needs work when you have awesome. - xhuxus
2005-04-12, 8:31 AM #14
I drew all the letters by hand, which is part of the reason the G is so bad.
Flickr Twitter
2005-04-12, 9:10 AM #15
Mm, then I have a suggestion. Try to put in some shiny on the letters. You notice how the font on the original has some glare drawn in? Try doing that with the letters.
Ban Jin!
Nobody really needs work when you have awesome. - xhuxus
2005-04-12, 9:12 AM #16
A great resource for fonts is [url]www.dafont.com[/url]
*insert some joke about pasta and fruit scuffles*
2005-04-12, 9:34 AM #17
Although there is no yorkie font
nope.
2005-04-12, 11:32 AM #18
also, your text looks a bit more "3d" than the original, try to make the colour a bit more 2d but keep the glossy thing going.
*insert some joke about pasta and fruit scuffles*
2005-04-12, 11:46 AM #19
it looks damn good to me, and if it was mine, i would fix the E and leave it at that. I myself would be hard pressed to do better than that in Photoshop, and with hand-drawn letters, no less.

↑ Up to the top!