Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → What IS public intoxication?
What IS public intoxication?
2005-04-13, 7:02 AM #1
I've seen so many fliers on campus about "OMFG DONT DRIKN OR U WIL GET TEH PLUBIC INTXOCIATN FROM TEH POPO," but it makes absolutely no sense to me. If I get drunk at a friend's, and walk back to the dorms (10 minute walk, tops), I can get ticketed for public intoxication? Am I supposed to, then, drive back? :confused:
the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot - LC Tusken
2005-04-13, 7:28 AM #2
Just another government loophole to make $$$.
Catloaf, meet mouseloaf.
My music
2005-04-13, 8:12 AM #3
Quote:
Originally posted by DogSRoOL
Just another government loophole to make $$$.

agreed.

it goes along with other victimless "crimes", like gambling on sporting events.
2005-04-13, 8:54 AM #4
Quote:
A person commits the crime of public intoxication if he appears in a public place under the influence of alcohol, narcotics or other drug to the degree that he endangers himself or another person or property, or by boisterous and offensive conduct annoys another person in his vicinity.

So err... Keep your voice down.
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
2005-04-13, 9:26 AM #5
Uh.. how about don't get drunk? Drinking is fine.. just don't get so plastered that you can't walk home without being an *** in public.
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2005-04-13, 9:34 AM #6
You could just call a taxi if you're worried about being caught by the popos.
2005-04-13, 10:06 AM #7
Pssch, drinking is nothing. Try being in public on three hits of high-powered blotter acid. Now THAT is public intoxication.
:master::master::master:
2005-04-13, 10:11 AM #8
Wouldn't call it victimless... Guy could be plastered and wander into the street, causing a car to have to swerve, possibly causing a deadly accident.

That said, I've had my instances of being drunk and in line behind a metro cop at Wendy's, lol.
2005-04-13, 10:12 AM #9
Quote:
Originally posted by Shintock
You could just call a taxi if you're worried about being caught by the popos.

Taxis won't carry someone who they consider likely to throw up.
Detty. Professional Expert.
Flickr Twitter
2005-04-13, 10:16 AM #10
Quote:
Originally posted by Darth
Wouldn't call it victimless... Guy could be plastered and wander into the street, causing a car to have to swerve, possibly causing a deadly accident.

I could also crap out napalm, horribly burning the guy in the stall next to me, making ****ting would be a crime.
2005-04-13, 10:39 AM #11
Okay, it's the "barely able to stand" kind of drunk. Not the "off-balance" kind of drunk. That was the impression I got from all the fliers around campus. Thanks.
the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot - LC Tusken
2005-04-13, 11:41 AM #12
If you're underage and appear to have been drinking, I believe that is public intoxication as well. I'm not sure how drunk it is to appear to be so.
Steal my dreams and sell them back to me.....
2005-04-13, 12:01 PM #13
But what if you dont have the money to call a taxi. I say call the police and make them give you a ride where you need to go.
"Nulla tenaci invia est via"
2005-04-13, 12:02 PM #14
I'd arrest anyone who tried funny business like that. Police aren't your chauffers. They're their to do real work. How about you be responsible instead?
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2005-04-13, 12:06 PM #15
This is why I love our campus. People (including myself) can walk visibly drunk past police and they won't do anything about it. They only go into action when things get unsafe or a party is too wild. And if they bust a party, they just make everyone empty their drinks and leave, no tickets except for the hosts.
2005-04-13, 12:42 PM #16
I've been drunk, walking home from the bars or a party on many an occasion, but I'm not so **** faced that I can't walk or am causing any trouble. Here at Cal, they're doing the same thing with drunk people. Over 21, and not too hammered, they're let you go. Under 21, and you get into trouble.
Pissed Off?
2005-04-13, 12:53 PM #17
Drunk people have to watch out for transvestite hookers.
"The only crime I'm guilty of is love [of china]"
- Ruthven
me clan me mod
2005-04-13, 1:20 PM #18
Quote:
Originally posted by Freelancer
I'd arrest anyone who tried funny business like that. Police aren't your chauffers. They're their to do real work. How about you be responsible instead?

hahaha real work? not around here.. they have nothing better to do than bust people for the most rediculous things around because they are bored. Hell, it's sounds like if you were a cop you'd fit right in down here.
"Nulla tenaci invia est via"
2005-04-13, 1:25 PM #19
OOOOOOh.

>.>
<.<
Catloaf, meet mouseloaf.
My music
2005-04-13, 5:19 PM #20
Being drunk in public is just annoying for everyone around you.

No, of course it's not a serious 'crime', but it's certainly anti-social and a quick fine should be enough to make people think twice about being prats.
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. " - Bertrand Russell
The Triumph of Stupidity in Mortals and Others 1931-1935
2005-04-13, 6:19 PM #21
Quote:
Originally posted by Mort-Hog

No, of course it's not a serious 'crime', but it's certainly anti-social and a quick fine should be enough to make people think twice about being prats.

why is it the government's responsibility to do this?
2005-04-13, 6:22 PM #22
Well someone has to take responsibility for it, and since it's obviously not the person who is drunk in public...

Don't get me wrong though, I've walked home plastered from the bar many times.
2005-04-13, 6:30 PM #23
Quote:
Originally posted by Mort-Hog

Yes, that's what we need a government for. Keeping people from being "prats," and killing all those brownies. Because they smell bad.
2005-04-13, 7:04 PM #24
Quote:
Originally posted by stat
Yes, that's what we need a government for. Keeping people from being "prats," and killing all those brownies. Because they smell bad.

I have an unspeakable love for the one they call stat.
D E A T H
2005-04-14, 2:15 AM #25
Quote:
Originally posted by Pagewizard_YKS
why is it the government's responsibility to do this?

Then who do you suppose should be responsible? It's not the government anyway.. Police are not "the government". Furthermore, drunk and disorderlies are city ordaninces. Having drunk people roaming the streets is just asking for trouble.
Pissed Off?

↑ Up to the top!