Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Black Water Games is Recruiting!
Black Water Games is Recruiting!
2005-04-13, 1:56 PM #1
Black Water Games is recruiting / looking for talented and committed members into its staff. Black Water Games is also a freeware online game developement team. WE DO NOT have the necessary funds to pay our staff, we are doing this for the love of the project, no monetary gains will be involved with this whatsoever. We are currently working out designs for a Tolkien inspired RTS. Our main textual sources for information on Tolkien's world comes from "The Silmarillion" and "The Histories of Middle Earth". The project has been entitled "The Lays of Middle Earth" and is a study of Tolkien's "The First Age of the Sun" and the "Pre-Ages". Our team consists of six talented individuals. There are currently 2 inactive members on the Staff that have been put "aside" due to real life.

Before you join, ask yourself: "Can I really committ a part of my time to help this small group of individuals in their project?"

Most of us have been working on TLME (The Lays of Middle Earth) since January. ALMOST 4 MONTHS! I would also like to point out, thanks to GoY (GhostOfYoda) we have a Random Terrain Generator. We are currently looking into advancing it to become a much more powerful RTS Engine.

Now, here is what we're interested in:

+ Web Designers (design and build Websites)
+ Publicists (promote TLME around the net and build up our Community -- This is a biggie. We will indefinately love to have some of these)
+ Programmers (Experience in RTS Programming... mainly DirectX, and OpenGL, for Ex)
+ Concept Artists (Digital Coloring)

And now, here is some nice new art for you guys.

www.blackwatergames.com/public_tlme/Noldorin_Cavalry.jpg

If you are interested in at all helping us with this momentous endeavour, please e-mail me at: Historyguy917@aol.com. We appreciate your interests in our project!

- Special thanks goes to Brian for allowing me to post this - :D
Black Water Games | Project Leader and President
Historical Conquerors | The Lays of Middle Earth
www.blackwatergames.com/forums
2005-04-13, 2:00 PM #2

put me down for + Concept Artists (Digital Coloring)
:D

I'll get round to emailing soon, assuming this isnt some huge bender of a joke
Code:
if(getThingFlags(source) & 0x8){
  do her}
elseif(getThingFlags(source) & 0x4){
  do other babe}
else{
  do a dude}
2005-04-13, 2:10 PM #3
OK, Ruthven. And NO, this is not a joke. I've been literally working on this, and reading Tolkien for Four months to get the anty up on some of my members. :D :p Now for those publicists / website creators to show up. :p
2005-04-13, 3:13 PM #4
Quote:
Originally posted by BlackWaterGames
we have a Random Terrain Generator. We are currently looking into advancing it to become a much more powerful RTS Engine.

You realize random terrain generators are a dime a dozen and any beginning programmer can make one? You don't have anything special...turning it into an RTS engine isn't easy for PAYED workers, let alone ones who will work for free. You're better off modding an existing engine, what you have is way too ambitious.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2005-04-13, 4:05 PM #5
Ambition is a virtue isn't it? It can drive us to excel, and create unparalled things in "the universe". Those programmers who would want to be known or "have an edge" when they look for professional jobs would / could find it beneficial to work with a freeware online game developement team. For one, when /. if Professionals look at their Resume` they'll be like: Wholly Moses! You helped this group make their own 3D RTS Engine?!

So. :p

And another thing, I'd like to indeed do a Mod for Rise of Nations for sure, but due to its limitations (# of units and special affects, and scenario editor), I've decided to make a game, rather than mod one. And frankly, making one is a much more "fun" experience than modding an existing game. :D :p

- Not meant to be a Bash - Just trying to get my point across -

EDIT: I should've also noted, that we have 1 learning DirectX programmer enhancing, and fixing our RTG Engine. He will also be upgrading it, so that it is more than a RTG in the future.
2005-04-13, 4:22 PM #6
I might be intersted in doing web design... more of the coding/database part though, I'm not so good at photoshop stuff. So if someone else wanted to do that, I'd consider helping you out.
2005-04-13, 4:27 PM #7
I may be interested in the more graphical part of the web-design, since that's more of a "do it and it's done" kind of thing and I don't have a whole lot of time.

Please email me switched.on@gmail.com if you're interested in my services so I can have a better idea of what you need.
</sarcasm>
<Anovis> mmmm I wanna lick your wet, Mentis.
2005-04-13, 4:30 PM #8
OK. So knowing this, I'll gather all the necessary information, and than e-mail you guys some time tonight, or tomorrow morning. And I am a leniant person when it comes to scheduling... if you need more time, I'll give it. I'm a "Benevolent Dictator" as NationStates tells me. :p :D I guess I'll see some of you guys on IRC as well.

*gets information from Profiles*

EDIT:

Still looking for Publicists!
2005-04-13, 4:32 PM #9
I'm becoming slowly proficient with OpenGL. I'm in an OpenGL class right now. It's a CS elective.

I might be able to pitch in...after the semester.
Code to the left of him, code to the right of him, code in front of him compil'd and thundered. Programm'd at with shot and $SHELL. Boldly he typed and well. Into the jaws of C. Into the mouth of PERL. Debug'd the 0x258.
2005-04-13, 4:38 PM #10
OK. I should remember who you are, just PM me after the Course is over. Any more takes? :)
2005-04-13, 4:56 PM #11
I could probably help with graphics designing soon, and the coding part of Web Design.
Just mail me at

Williamstinkywrix@gmail.com
2005-04-13, 4:56 PM #12
Quote:
Originally posted by BlackWaterGames
Ambition is a virtue isn't it? It can drive us to excel, and create unparalled things in "the universe". Those programmers who would want to be known or "have an edge" when they look for professional jobs would / could find it beneficial to work with a freeware online game developement team. For one, when /. if Professionals look at their Resume` they'll be like: Wholly Moses! You helped this group make their own 3D RTS Engine?!

Of course, but it's not that easy when that's your only drive. It's why people don't work for free to better mankind. I'm not saying you won't succeed, but you really seem like all the others that go "Yeah, I'm PSYCHED, we can DO THIS! WOOOOOOO *****!" and then in two months they disappear off the face of the Earth because they got bored with it, lost motivation, etc. Especially when you have no experience...it's tough learning and doing at the same time. And when you run into bumps along the road when you're so green, you further lose your inspiration.

You can go ahead and try, you might make it somewhere. I suppose ambition is a virtue, but so is modesty.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2005-04-13, 6:48 PM #13
Quote:
Originally posted by Know-It-All
Emon, n. A veritable fountain of common sense and knowledge with a sprinkling of sardonic wit

*loads shotgun*
Code:
if(getThingFlags(source) & 0x8){
  do her}
elseif(getThingFlags(source) & 0x4){
  do other babe}
else{
  do a dude}
2005-04-13, 6:56 PM #14
Quote:
Originally posted by Emon
Especially when you have no experience...it's tough learning and doing at the same time.

I can personally vouch for that. In my OpenGL class, I'm learning basically everything as I do assignments. It can be frustrating at times.
Code to the left of him, code to the right of him, code in front of him compil'd and thundered. Programm'd at with shot and $SHELL. Boldly he typed and well. Into the jaws of C. Into the mouth of PERL. Debug'd the 0x258.
2005-04-13, 7:07 PM #15
I'm a very talented chef. I have cooked for such celebrities as Burt Renolds, Cher, and all three Backstreet Boys. My specialties lie in french and mediterranean cuisine. However, I was employed for two years by the Richmont Hotel in New York as a master pastry chef. I see you're not particularly looking for a chef, but, trust me, you'll want one down the road. I won't go boasting that I'm the best chef out there, but I must say I'm quite talented and certainly can prepare whatever it is you require.
Real Programmers always confuse Christmas and Halloween because Oct31 == Dec25
2005-04-13, 7:16 PM #16
He makes some mean gravy

(obligatory stupid custom title ref.)
2005-04-13, 9:24 PM #17
Quote:
Originally posted by Ruthven
*loads shotgun*

Whether you like it or not, Emon's right.
>>untie shoes
2005-04-13, 9:31 PM #18
I'll sit on my *** and do nothing.
Catloaf, meet mouseloaf.
My music
2005-04-14, 2:36 AM #19
Emon is the depressing doomgiver for people like us. :p :D

*loads 22, bolt action*

Silent, but deadly ;) :D

I'm trying to teach myself C++, and it's not going very well, let's just say that. :p I got the BASICS down, like creating "Hello World" programs, but that's about it. Hopefully after I take both of my Math Courses in CCC, I'll be able to take the 5 programming courses that they have down there. :)

/me keeps thread open for more takes. :D
2005-04-14, 5:17 AM #20
oooh! PICK ME!

oh... wait...
TheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWho
SaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTh
eJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSa
ysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJ
k
WhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSays
N
iTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkW
2005-04-14, 6:52 AM #21
/me pinches JK

You're the web techie / texture artist for the team! doh! :p :D

Any more takes for the Web / Publicists / Artists positions?

↑ Up to the top!