Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Man Finds $10K in New House
Man Finds $10K in New House
2005-04-14, 9:19 PM #1
http://tv.ksl.com/index.php?sid=198393&nid=5

Check this out!
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

Thou shalt not weigh more than thy refrigerator.

Eat well, stay fit, die anyway.
2005-04-14, 9:31 PM #2
dang.. that old woman should give him the money. What's she gonna use it for in assited living anyway?
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.

Lassev: I guess there was something captivating in savagery, because I liked it.
2005-04-14, 9:34 PM #3
Man, that dude's a moron. What the hell is the old lady going to do with it, other than splurge it on something useless or give it to someone else? It's not like she's going to invest it into anything, she won't be living long enough to reap the benefits.
2005-04-14, 9:35 PM #4
Quote:
She says she had no idea about the money, but is grateful for the new owner's honesty.

Does not compute.
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2005-04-14, 9:36 PM #5
That still doesn't take away your right to own money, even if you're old. Bloody hell.
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2005-04-14, 9:36 PM #6
Quote:
Originally posted by FastGamerr
That still doesn't take away your right to own money, even if you're old. Bloody hell.

She had no idea she even had it. He could have kept it and it would not have made a damn difference.
2005-04-14, 9:37 PM #7
Well, assisted living IS expensive. :/

2005-04-14, 9:37 PM #8
So what?
2005-04-14, 9:38 PM #9
that's what offspring is for.

Lassev: I guess there was something captivating in savagery, because I liked it.
2005-04-14, 9:39 PM #10
It's not.
2005-04-14, 9:41 PM #11
No wonder society is going straight to hell. Some of you are just, well, I'll just say dishonest.
Pissed Off?
2005-04-14, 9:43 PM #12
Avenger:

Quote:
She says she had no idea about the money, but is grateful for the new owner's honesty.

Who's the one being dishonest here?
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2005-04-14, 9:46 PM #13
I read that. Doesn't mean that it wasn't her money. It's not like some complete stranger broke into her house and hid ten grand there for safe keeping.
Pissed Off?
2005-04-14, 9:46 PM #14
I came across a similar situation in my case law last year. Some worker found a stash of money when he was working on a home between owners. A legal battle ensued between the previous owner (also an elderly woman), the current owner, and the construction worker (who had salvage rights).

It's nice to see that some people are still decent and honest.
2005-04-14, 9:48 PM #15
"Some people" aren't.. The man did the right thing. But the woman's a.... well. nevermind.

2005-04-14, 9:49 PM #16
Avenger, I think just about anybody (save those with Alzheimer's maybe) would remember frigging stashing 10,000 dollars. It was obviously from the owner before her, or her husband secretly hid it or something. Either way, it's not hers.
2005-04-14, 10:06 PM #17
Quote:
"Some people" aren't.. The man did the right thing. But the woman's a.... well. nevermind.

Well, if the money belonged to her husband, she should be entitled to it. I'm sure he would have wanted her to have it.
2005-04-14, 11:04 PM #18
Quote:
John Farley/ Hibino Katsumasa's Boss: "The Japanese people are really honest, so it hadn't crossed his mind to lay claim on the money. He knew it was somebody's and wanted to give it back to them."

That's why he did it.
I can't think of anything to put here right now.
2005-04-14, 11:08 PM #19
Quote:
Originally posted by Freelancer
Avenger, I think just about anybody (save those with Alzheimer's maybe) would remember frigging stashing 10,000 dollars. It was obviously from the owner before her, or her husband secretly hid it or something. Either way, it's not hers.

If it was her husband's it's hers since he's dead. If it belonged to someone else, he still wouldn't have been justified in taking it. He did the rigght thing. All of you who said you'd have kept it or he should have kept it did not.
Pissed Off?
2005-04-15, 12:06 AM #20
I learned at an early age that you have to be pretty damn stupid to turn in something like money.

I haven't turned in money since kindergarten. I found some money at school and being the naive fool that I was at the time, I took it to the office and they said I could have it if no one claimed it. Of course, a whole bunch of people claimed it, so I got screwed.

The moral of the story: What you find, you keep. (exception is stuff that is clearly labeled as belonging to someone else, and there is reasonable proof to back it up)
2005-04-15, 12:16 AM #21
I won't lie, I commend the man for doing whats right. I honestly think I'd of kept it. No, I'm pretty sure I would have.
I can't think of anything to put here right now.
2005-04-15, 12:24 AM #22
I'M NOT DISHONEST.

I'm freaking poor.

Theres a difference. :P
2005-04-15, 10:13 AM #23
Okay here's the thing. When you sell a house, you sign a LEGAL DOCUMENT stating that anything left in the house, be it money, property, etc., ANYTHING, is also transferred to the new owner on the date of sale. It's really nice what he did. If I was the old lady, I would have offered to split it with him instead :)
2005-04-15, 10:18 AM #24
Quote:
Originally posted by Freelancer

[vacuous insult removed -JL]

She's old. It's very very possible that she forgot about it...who knows how long it's been there? It could have been her husband's money...in which case it's now legally hers anyway. You really think that some old woman is swindling some honest Japanese guy out of $10,000 dollars?
2005-04-15, 10:22 AM #25
It's generally not a good idea to bash someone when you're new to the community.

I don't see anything wrong with his post either, I feel the same way. You don't just forget about $10 000.
2005-04-15, 11:17 AM #26
Hehe, you're funny, mister gnfhg skuy 539gffd.
2005-04-15, 1:01 PM #27
Quote:
Originally posted by Brian
Okay here's the thing. When you sell a house, you sign a LEGAL DOCUMENT stating that anything left in the house, be it money, property, etc., ANYTHING, is also transferred to the new owner on the date of sale. It's really nice what he did. If I was the old lady, I would have offered to split it with him instead :)

Right and legal are two different things. At least they are to me in this case.
Pissed Off?
2005-04-15, 1:13 PM #28
I don't care what you guys say if I would've found 10,000$ in my air vents. I would've kept it. I'm broke and 10 grand would be a very nice treat.
"Nulla tenaci invia est via"
2005-04-16, 11:03 AM #29
He definitely had no moral obligation to do what he did, which in my opinion makes it even more admirable.
If you think the waiters are rude, you should see the manager.
2005-04-16, 11:16 AM #30
I'm glad he told the truth.
Sneaky sneaks. I'm actually a werewolf. Woof.
2005-04-16, 11:18 AM #31
He's just trying to buy his way into heaven.... :p

I probably would have turned it in, b/c 10k is a lot of money.
If it were a smaller sum I probably wouldn't bother. How small is another issue...

Morally right and legally right are in major conflict here, in case you haven't noticed :rolleyes:
May the mass times acceleration be with you.
2005-04-16, 11:58 AM #32
oh my god, it takes real and raw *******-ness to find someone at fault for anything in this situation.

And by the way, moral standards aren't something I'd judge. If I found 10k in the way he did, I'd keep it. If I found 10k on the side of the road, I'd keep it. If I found 10k on the side of the road and could probably identify who it belonged to, I'd give it to them. There's no way I'd turn money over to the police for the same reason page said. I would, however, give it to someone if they claimed to have lost 10,000 dollars not to long ago. I'm honest, but I'm also greedy. Any excuse to keep it, I will.

JediKirby
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2005-04-16, 12:09 PM #33
Quote:
Originally posted by ad am dglgmut
You make consistently asinine posts. Every time I read something really stupid on this board, I look over to the left and sure enough it says "Freelancer" about 90% of the time. :rolleyes:

Hypocrisy is not a very becoming trait.

As for the whole situation...the guy did what he wasn't legally obligated to do. Kudos to him.
the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot - LC Tusken

↑ Up to the top!