Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → So I preordered Guild Wars...
So I preordered Guild Wars...
2005-04-17, 2:33 AM #1
So I preordered Guild Wars, because the articles got me hyped, as well as a few friends. I hopped into the beta, and 4 things instantly irritated me.

1. No jump? Am I missing something? In a game where so much PvP action is suppose to happen, how can there not be a jump? Jumping over roots and bridges has saved my life in WoW PvP so many times.

2. No exploration? Everytime I see a cool looking area and I try to run or climb over to it...BAM...invisible barricade! WTF? Whose bright idea was it to keep people on a set path, thus killing the exploration aspect of the game, which just so happens to be one of the most enjoyable parts of MMO games, for me at least.

3. The default controls are some of the crappiest I've ever run into. I know that you can customize them, but why in the hell would that crappy setup be the DEFAULT?! In virtually ever MMO that I've played, there have been excellent default controls that I have stuck with, and never changed. WoW has the best control system that I've ever used...and it's default.

4. Lag. I'm on dialup, and no it's not a choice (broadband isn't available here, besides satellite). Dialup has rarely ever been a problem in other MMO's. As a matter of fact, my ping is generally easily playable, except for a few problems with gameplay in DAoC RvR. However, in GWs, for some odd reason, my character is lagging all over the place. Why in the hell does my player skip all over the place, often repeating the same damn steps? In every other MMO that I've played, I could always walk around just fine, because most of that was taken care of locally, but with GWs, it seems that even walking is server-side? I can't fathom why.

Anyways, I've only played the BETA, so I'm going to remain open-minded, and I have friends playing, so I'll probably play no matter how bad it is, but at this point, I must say that I'm somewhat disappointed. I realize that some of the things that are faults to me are ways of tweaking gameplay performance, but at this point, it just seems to actually hinder gameplay. I was hoping that this game was gonna be good enough to make me want to quit WoW, to save some money, but it doesn't appear that this game even comes close.

Bah..!
2005-04-17, 4:59 AM #2
Quote:
Originally posted by MentatMM
So I preordered Guild Wars, because the articles got me hyped, as well as a few friends. I hopped into the beta, and 4 things instantly irritated me.

1. No jump? Am I missing something? In a game where so much PvP action is suppose to happen, how can there not be a jump? Jumping over roots and bridges has saved my life in WoW PvP so many times.

2. No exploration? Everytime I see a cool looking area and I try to run or climb over to it...BAM...invisible barricade! WTF? Whose bright idea was it to keep people on a set path, thus killing the exploration aspect of the game, which just so happens to be one of the most enjoyable parts of MMO games, for me at least.

3. The default controls are some of the crappiest I've ever run into. I know that you can customize them, but why in the hell would that crappy setup be the DEFAULT?! In virtually ever MMO that I've played, there have been excellent default controls that I have stuck with, and never changed. WoW has the best control system that I've ever used...and it's default.

4. Lag. I'm on dialup, and no it's not a choice (broadband isn't available here, besides satellite). Dialup has rarely ever been a problem in other MMO's. As a matter of fact, my ping is generally easily playable, except for a few problems with gameplay in DAoC RvR. However, in GWs, for some odd reason, my character is lagging all over the place. Why in the hell does my player skip all over the place, often repeating the same damn steps? In every other MMO that I've played, I could always walk around just fine, because most of that was taken care of locally, but with GWs, it seems that even walking is server-side? I can't fathom why.

Bah..!

1. Very few MMO's have jump. FFXI, iRO, just to name a few didn't.

2. That does suck. FFXI only had barriers on places that weren't created yet (Although there was usually a door that was locked), or where there was a big cliff to keep you from doing something stupid. iRO had the same thing. Barriers only protected you from doing something stupid. (Well, except for the Assassin test, then it made a maze which was hard as hell to get through, but fun)

3. I've never played any game in my life with controls good enough right out of the box, so I don't really see the problem here if they let you customize them.

4. I understand your situation, and as frustrating as it may be, you have to realize that dialup users are becoming a minority very quickly. Especially for the gaming types.
2005-04-17, 1:29 PM #3
You've obviously never played WoW, it is the best game ever created. Jumping, exploring, jumping off cliffs 1000 feet high while exploring, you name it. (Default controls havn't been changed for me also, by the way)
America, home of the free gift with purchase.
2005-04-17, 1:37 PM #4
Quote:
Originally posted by drizzt2k2
You've obviously never played WoW, it is the best game ever created. Jumping, exploring, jumping off cliffs 1000 feet high while exploring, you name it. (Default controls havn't been changed for me also, by the way)

What?

I've played WoW... and I realize that you can do crazy jumps like that. And when I played, I couldn't stand the regular controls.

I don't see what point you are trying to make here...
2005-04-17, 1:49 PM #5
They aren't really making a point.

They're just spouting WoW fanboyism.
2005-04-17, 4:05 PM #6
:o
America, home of the free gift with purchase.
2005-04-17, 4:11 PM #7
I don't think it's fanboyism..

The controls for WoW really are good, and there aren't any barriers to prevent you from doing stupid things.

Makes morons level up slower. Always fun watching people fall off Thunder Bluff for example.

Anywho, I've seen GW, and played some of it, and I dislike it. It feels like one dungeon after the other.
"Jayne, this is something the Captain has to do for himself"

"N-No it's not!"

"Oh."

↑ Up to the top!