Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Alcohol vs. studying: a theory
Alcohol vs. studying: a theory
2005-04-18, 1:52 AM #1
I cannot ****ing believe it!

I'm at the University of Western Australia studying Law and Arts in a double degree, right? So I'm from the school of thought that just getting to university is enough work for one liftetime, and have subsequently spent the majority of my time in the tavern drinking, browsing Massassi, contributing to the ISB, chasing women with a limited degree of success etc.

So our first major project - not a fluke project, a project where work is actually required - is just returned to us, and how did I do? Did I beat everyone in my group, and indeed everyone I've met? Yes I did!!! Everyone else got 60%, my fellow ne'er-do-well and alcoholic Luke got 70% and I got a clean 80%, making me (by 1%, admittedly) a High Distinction student. I'm up the top of Law School, and I probably haven't breached double digits for lecture attendance!!!!

Right now my options are clear. I can:

1) Remain tactful, discreet and eloquently silent, thanking my lucky stars for this brief reprieve and actually get my act together;

2) Print out "I'm legally better than you" T-shirts and distribute, or

3) Do number 2, but do so whilst drunk, savouring the sweet irony like a jam donut of victory...

To quote Calvin and Hobbes, "as usual, goodness hardly puts up a fight."

What about all of you? Do you agree with me? Have you pulled off greater achievements of slovenly triumph? Are you a bookish intellectual, and do I embody everything that's wrong with the world? Discuss!
The Last True Evil - consistent nobody in the Discussion Forum since 1998
2005-04-18, 3:12 AM #2
I'm not much different myself. I've been pretty half-assed while in college and still managed to pull a B average at world renowned university. Until I get bit hard in the ***, I don't see anything changing.
Pissed Off?
2005-04-18, 3:17 AM #3
I have to get down to it every now and again (now!), but yeah, drinking, acting generally irresponsibly and having fun - still pulling a low B...
2005-04-18, 3:41 AM #4
Actually, I think it just means that everyone else parties more than you do. You may think you spend more than enough time drinking and partying, but in fact, you're the college nerd. YOU DISGRACE THE NAME OF STUDENTHOOD, SIR! BEGONE FOUL ACADEMIC AND DARKEN NOT THIS FAIR TAVERN'S DOOR AGAIN!
2005-04-18, 3:46 AM #5
Drinking and writing is a no.
2005-04-18, 4:29 AM #6
Drinking and IRC are bad enough...
2005-04-18, 4:34 AM #7
I play pool alot better when I'm drunkz0r.
2005-04-18, 4:38 AM #8
It's funny, I can do quite complicated maths and various difficult things after a good 6 pints, but after 3 pints my pool game goes to ****. It's just one of those things: in fact, it's the only way my dad can ever beat me now, he has to ply me with alcohol! Basically, my choice of shot isn't usually badly affected, it's that I get impatient and don't bother to eye in properly before I cue. If I'm in a match, and hammered, I have to play *really* slowly and not let my concentration wander...
2005-04-18, 4:41 AM #9
For whatever reason, alcohol helps my spin... :P
2005-04-18, 7:12 AM #10
It's an Australian Law degree. How hard can it be? :P

I'm not even allowed to study law until I have 3 years of university under my belt. Don't know if thats how it works elsewhere in the world, but thats how it works here.
In Pride,
--Hinch
I had a disclaimer here, but the man said it was too long.
2005-04-18, 9:36 AM #11
Just don't be late or absent with projects, like me... >_>
The Plothole: a home for amateur, inclusive, collaborative stories
http://forums.theplothole.net
2005-04-18, 9:47 AM #12
I'm the same way; except I spend all my time playing video games instead of drinking.
Stuff
2005-04-18, 10:18 AM #13
I'm one of my schools top programming students and I can't tell an array from a hole in the wall. I spend 6 hours writing programs that take the average student 1-2 hours. I'm always the guy that goes directly to the math lab for 2 hours after class to have the tutors explain what my teacher attempted to, in English. Basically, I'm an idiot, and both my teachers and fellow students are convinced that I know what I'm doing, simply because they're unaware of the amount of time that I actually spend learning this crap. I'm fighting an uphill battle, so count yourselves lucky, you bastards.
2005-04-18, 12:24 PM #14
Quote:
Originally posted by hinch1
It's an Australian Law degree. How hard can it be? :P

Australia has laws?
>>untie shoes
2005-04-18, 2:28 PM #15
I hope to never settle for an 80%.
2005-04-18, 2:32 PM #16
I say we all sober up and put our alcoholism behind us.

I'd drink to that.
Xbox Live/PlayStation Network/Steam: tone217
http://twitter.com/ourmatetone
2005-04-18, 2:48 PM #17
Never mind. I can't read.
"When it's time for this planet to die, you'll understand that you know absolutely nothing." — Bugenhagen
2005-04-18, 2:50 PM #18
Quote:
Originally posted by Bill
Australia has laws?

My thoughts exactly.

Bunch of hypocrites the lot of them. ;)
D E A T H
2005-04-18, 11:48 PM #19
Dont you all watch the Simpsons? They went to Australia once, and they even went to court with the judge having one of those silly white wigs on. Of course they have laws, and if you misbehave, you get a huge boot in your arse.
"Guns don't kill people, I kill people."
2005-04-19, 12:10 AM #20
Quote:
Originally posted by KOP_Snake
Dont you all watch the Simpsons? They went to Australia once, and they even went to court with the judge having one of those silly white wigs on. Of course they have laws, and if you misbehave, you get a huge boot in your arse.

Finally someone who's not completely ignorant to other country's cultures. Thank you.
2005-04-19, 12:46 AM #21
:rolleyes:
Pissed Off?
2005-04-19, 1:17 AM #22
Before my matriculations all I did was drink and I scored the second highest marks possible
My friends who didn't drink and really really studied never made it nearly as well as I did
Being smart rules
Yeah, you stay here and take life seriously. I'll go and have some fun.
2005-04-19, 9:50 AM #23
Quote:
Originally posted by Raoul Duke
Finally someone who's not completely ignorant to other country's cultures. Thank you.

I'm waiting for the day when I can say:

"Finally someone who's not completely oblivious to the use of sarcasm. Thank you."
>>untie shoes
2005-04-19, 11:07 AM #24
Quote:
Originally posted by Jedi Legend
I hope to never settle for an 80%.

My Type A detector is blaring.

Ya, I like to think of my school as one of the nation's best, but I havent really had to work hard since I've gotten here and I've coasted by with a B average.
"Those ****ing amateurs... You left your dog, you idiots!"
2005-04-19, 3:54 PM #25
Quote:
Originally posted by Bill
I'm waiting for the day when I can say:

"Finally someone who's not completely oblivious to the use of sarcasm. Thank you."

WOW. The irony. I was also being sarcastic, you sad sad person.
2005-04-19, 4:01 PM #26
Yeah, because Bill didn't know you were being sarcastic.
Detty. Professional Expert.
Flickr Twitter
2005-04-19, 4:04 PM #27
Quote:
Originally posted by DeTRiTiC-iQ
Yeah, because Bill didn't know you were being sarcastic.

I don't think he did...Avenger certainly didn't, if his :rolleyes: indicates anything.
2005-04-19, 4:58 PM #28
The irony is this all started with one man's sarcasm... Bill's!

Quote:
Australia has laws?
"Guns don't kill people, I kill people."
2005-04-19, 5:38 PM #29
Quote:
Originally posted by Dj Yoshi
My thoughts exactly.

Bunch of hypocrites the lot of them. ;)

quite true. especialy little johny howard, also known as John howard, prime minister.
Snail racing: (500 posts per line)------@%
2005-04-19, 11:50 PM #30
Quote:
Originally posted by Raoul Duke
I don't think he did.

That doesn't surprise me.
>>untie shoes
2005-04-20, 3:48 PM #31
Drinking has really made me perform better at my job. Now I have something to relax with. Go home from a ten hour day of getting people's internet connection up for them and have a nice beer or some coffee liqeur over half and half and ice. My performance has never been better.
MithShrike: First Mateneer
Pimpin' Yerba Mate Drinker
2005-04-20, 4:42 PM #32
I've completely half assed my way through high school, not even trying and pulling off about a 3.5 cumulative GPA. I expect to have to change this for college however, but maybe not.
2005-04-20, 10:50 PM #33
Quote:
Originally posted by Dash_rendar
I've completely half assed my way through high school, not even trying and pulling off about a 3.5 cumulative GPA. I expect to have to change this for college however, but maybe not.

I'm doing it in college as we speak. Although if I don't change, I may suddenly find it much harder to fulfill my foreign language requirement.
If you think the waiters are rude, you should see the manager.

↑ Up to the top!