Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → so who's gonna bring their towel...
so who's gonna bring their towel...
2005-04-18, 9:14 PM #1
to the hitchhikers guide to the galaxy?

me and my friends are.
2005-04-18, 9:16 PM #2
I most definatley am.
2005-04-18, 9:21 PM #3
Of course!
"Ford, you're turning into a penguin. Stop it."
2005-04-18, 9:24 PM #4
What hoopy frood wouldnt bring their towel?
2005-04-18, 9:36 PM #5
i'm going as Trillian...
"The funniest thing about time is when it doesn't. I'll leave you hanging there for the moment, and let you age while the shadows don't lengthen, if you see what I mean." ~~Steven Brust
2005-04-18, 9:38 PM #6
Quote:
Originally posted by Overlord
What hoopy frood wouldnt bring their towel?

<3
2005-04-18, 9:38 PM #7
We should all go and make Earlson Gray in the middle of the movie, about as Arthur and Ford are picked up by the Heart of Gold.
2005-04-18, 9:40 PM #8
thats awesome, pheba.

i might go all out and wear my red pajama pants, grey shirt and if i can find one, a green bathrobe(if i cant find a bathrobe then its kinda pointless) but yeah... if not, then a towel will have to do.
2005-04-18, 9:46 PM #9
I used to wear a towel on my belt everyday to school, and even to work.... but yeah, ill have at least one towel for opening night (probably my utility towel, plus a more traditional full sized version).
"Well, if I am not drunk, I am mad, but I trust I can behave like a gentleman in either
condition."... G. K. Chesterton

“questions are a burden to others; answers a prison for oneself”
2005-04-18, 9:53 PM #10
What's the significance of a towel?
2005-04-18, 9:59 PM #11
Quote:
Originally posted by SiliconC
What's the significance of a towel?

A towel is the single most important item in the universe.
You can use it as a blanket, to sunbathe, to dry off, a whole bunch of stuff!
2005-04-18, 10:01 PM #12
Quote:
Originally posted by Stinkywrix
A towel is the single most important item in the universe.
You can use it as a blanket, to sunbathe, to dry off, a whole bunch of stuff!

<3!!
"Ford, you're turning into a penguin. Stop it."
2005-04-18, 10:06 PM #13
The Hitchikers Guide to The Galaxy defines a towel as:

Just about the most massively useful thing any interstellar Hitchhiker can carry. For one thing it has great practical value - you can wrap it around you for warmth on the cold moons of Jaglan Beta, sunbathe on it on the marble beaches of Santraginus Five, huddle beneath it for protection from the Arcturan Megagnats as you sleep beneath the stars of Kakrafoon, use it to sail a miniraft down the slpow heavy river Moth, wet it for use in hand to hand combat, wrap it round your head to avoid the gaze of the Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal, and even dry yourself off with it if it still seems clean enough.

More importantly, a towel has immense psychological value. For some reason, if a strag (strag: non-hitch hiker) discovers that a hitch hiker has his towel with him, he will automatically assume that he is also in possession of a toothbrush, face flannel, soap, tin of biscuits, flask, compass, map, ball of string, gnat spray, wet weather gear, space suit etc., etc. Furthermore, the strag will then happily lend the hitch hiker any of these or a dozen other items that the hitch hiker might accidentally have "lost". What the strag will think is that any man who can hitch the length and breadth of the galaxy, rough it, slum it, struggle against terrible odds, win through, and still knows where his towel is is clearly a man to be reckoned with.

Hence a phrase which has passed into hitch hiking slang, as in "Hey, you sass that hoopy Ford Prefect? There's a frood who really knows where his towel is." (Sass: know, be aware of, meet, have sex with; hoopy: really together guy; frood: really amazingly together guy.)
2005-04-18, 10:08 PM #14
42?!
whenever any form of government becomes destructive to securing the rights of the governed, it is the right of the people to alter or to abolish it
---Thomas jefferson, Declaration of Independance.
2005-04-18, 10:09 PM #15
Man, I really have to read the book, this seems hilarious.
2005-04-18, 10:59 PM #16
I'm currently reading the radio show transcript. I haven't read anything about towels yet though. I'm only upto episode 4.
"I got kicked off the high school debate team for saying 'Yeah? Well, **** you!'
... I thought I had won."
2005-04-19, 1:27 AM #17
The towel gag is right at the start, just as they leave Earth iirc.
2005-04-19, 7:45 AM #18
Anyone know if the radioscripts are available online?
2005-04-19, 9:18 AM #19
If you bring an item to a movie that is related to that movie, you have reached the highest known rank of nerd available.
Catloaf, meet mouseloaf.
My music
2005-04-19, 9:20 AM #20
If that's highest rank of nerd you know, then you must have low values.
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2005-04-19, 9:23 AM #21
Well.... there's also those guys that dress up like characters in movies. (Esp. Star Wars)
Catloaf, meet mouseloaf.
My music
2005-04-19, 9:41 AM #22
Quote:
Originally posted by DogSRoOL
Well.... there's also those guys that dress up like characters in movies. (Esp. Star Wars)

Guilty.
2005-04-19, 11:22 AM #23
Quote:
Originally posted by Chaz Ghostle
I'm currently reading the radio show transcript. I haven't read anything about towels yet though. I'm only upto episode 4.

i believe its in or around Fit the 9th or 10th
My girlfriend paid a lot of money for that tv; I want to watch ALL OF IT. - JM
2005-04-19, 12:23 PM #24
Quote:
If you bring an item to a movie that is related to that movie, you have reached the highest known rank of nerd available.

So I brought a toy lightsaber to the showing of Episode I. DO YOU HAVE A DAMN PROBLEM WITH THAT, DOGBOY??? :mad:

:D
The cake is a lie... THE CAKE IS A LIE!!!!!
2005-04-19, 1:59 PM #25
Did you use it to hit little children?
Catloaf, meet mouseloaf.
My music
2005-04-19, 2:09 PM #26
Quote:

jango fett for episode 2.

oh and come on.. it's a book. a really good book that nerds and non nerds alike appreciate because it's just... really good. anyone who brings a towel is just plain awesome.
2005-04-19, 2:24 PM #27
I'm bringing a beach towel.
Sneaky sneaks. I'm actually a werewolf. Woof.
2005-04-19, 3:25 PM #28
Quote:
Originally posted by Chaz Ghostle

I've HEARD the radio show. Good stuff.
D E A T H
2005-04-19, 3:49 PM #29
Quote:
Originally posted by West Wind
I used to wear a towel on my belt everyday to school, and even to work.... but yeah, ill have at least one towel for opening night (probably my utility towel, plus a more traditional full sized version).

Ouch. It hurts just to read that.
2005-04-19, 4:49 PM #30
Belgium.

>.>

<.<

*flee*
2005-04-19, 5:23 PM #31
OMG THRAWN CURSED, :banned:

2005-04-19, 5:37 PM #32
My virgin ears!:eek:

↑ Up to the top!