Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Forget Van Helsing, Dante returns in Devil May Cry 3
Forget Van Helsing, Dante returns in Devil May Cry 3
2004-05-04, 2:35 PM #1
PSM wasn't kidding when they said they would unveil a game no one would expect. Being a huge fan of the first Devil May Cry, I immediately read the article. Here is a list of thing I learned from the eight page article.

Background
First this game is a prequel to Devil May Cry. The game's storyline pretty much involves Dante's evil brother. Could he be Nelo Angelo? Since this is the prequel to the series, Dante in the beginning does not know anything about his demon origin or much about his past. All he knows is that he's really strong and an excellent swordsman. Who's directing the project? The only hint given by the article was "He's got alot of experience throwing fireballs". From that statement, I will surmise that the man who created Street Fighter is directing the project this time. Oh yeah, the guy who did the Metal Gear Solid: Twin Snakes cutscenes, he's doing the cutscenes for this game too. This is more fitting since the DMC series have always been able style, unlike MGS.

Dante's new appearance:
Dante's appearance is very important. I mean it was partly because of his cool red trenchcoat that made him such a badass in the first game. Well the red trenchcoat from Devil May Cry returns. However, the exception is that he's not wearing a shirt. You can also see his guns, ebony and ivory, holstered on the back of his coat. Being a prequel, he's more young looking too. From the screenshots, the graphic seems improved as the game uses a new engine. However, the article mentions that the particle effects are used much more. Weather effects like rain and fog will be used. The level designs are interesting in the screenshots. The designs are like a combination of DMC's castle and DMC2's streets. One of the screenshots show Dante blasting away in the bar from the first DMC.

Innovation
The largest improvement in combat is a style system. There are four styles revealed in the article: Gunslinger, Swordmaster, Trickster, and Royal Guard. Each style has unique strengths and weaknesses. For example, the Gunslinger style makes Dante a proficient John Woo style shooter. However, his acrobatics won't be as good as Trickster, his swordplay won't be as good as Swordmaster, and his martial arts won't be as good as Royal Guard. Additionally, it has been stated that the combo system will blow the first DMC's combo system away (which is a good thing because it was very hard to combo in DMC2). Just to note, you will only play as Dante in this game.

Last Notes
From what I read from the article, boss fights sound harder as you can't just run up and start hacking away like in DMC2. This is a good thing as DMC2's bosses were ridiculously easy. If any of you can attend E3 this year, there should be a playable demo available. Hopefully, Capcom will not fail with this game!

Some scans someone esle has provided.
http://server6.uploadit.org/files/ImperialFantasy-dmc3.JPG
http://server6.uploadit.org/files/ImperialFantasy-dmc32.JPG
2004-05-04, 2:57 PM #2
I should probably pick up the first one :P
2004-05-04, 2:58 PM #3
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Forget Van Helsing</font>

No.

------------------
I’m not going to die, I’m going to see if I was ever alive. - Spike
It's not your right to decide whether they live or die. They deserve a chance! - Vash
Originally posted by Elana14: i would love a dong like that!
Think while it's still legal.
2004-05-04, 3:03 PM #4
Van Helsing just looks way too overdone... but then again so did Hellboy, and it was an enjoyable movie.

------------------
Saberopus: omfq musical genuis j00 >mozart
Thrawn42689: Mozart = n00b

↑ Up to the top!