Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → TIE Fighter
TIE Fighter
2005-04-19, 1:25 PM #1
I know there is a way to get TIE Fighter to run on Windows XP, and I also know that somebody here knows how to make that possible because i've asked before and somebody helped me and it worked. Now I just need that help again.

When I go to start a new tour of duty, after the initializing compat sequence thing comes up it crashes. The person who helped me referred me to some Microsoft Windows Application Compatability Toolkit (I believe that it what it was called) and also gave me some instructions on how to make it work. It would be great if somebody could help me out with that again.
2005-04-19, 1:27 PM #2
Which version do you have? The old DOS version or the win95 version? (If it's the win95 version it will have a launcher program like JK).
TheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWho
SaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTh
eJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSa
ysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJ
k
WhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSays
N
iTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkW
2005-04-19, 1:34 PM #3
Windows 95 version, the collectors CD rom.
2005-04-19, 1:35 PM #4
It should work then, because it works for me :\
"Jayne, this is something the Captain has to do for himself"

"N-No it's not!"

"Oh."
2005-04-19, 2:54 PM #5
I have the one from the x-wind, tie fighter and x-wing vs tie fighter demo multipack, and it works for me on my xp computer.
Snail racing: (500 posts per line)------@%
2005-04-19, 2:56 PM #6
Quote:
Originally posted by alpha1
I have the one from the x-wind, tie fighter and x-wing vs tie fighter demo multipack, and it works for me on my xp computer.

Ditto.
k
N
2005-04-19, 3:13 PM #7
addendum to original post: anyone know how to make TIE fighter work with a USB joystick?
My girlfriend paid a lot of money for that tv; I want to watch ALL OF IT. - JM
2005-04-19, 3:14 PM #8
Yes, you need to unplug all other devices that appear in the windows "game controllers" control panel. Only one listed in here will work (the top one i believe).
k
N
2005-04-19, 3:19 PM #9
Eh? The collector's CDROM version is DOS only... I think it has a silly Windows 95 launcher or something but the actual installer and game are DOS.

I have used VDMSound (google it) and VDMS Launchpad (which makes configuring VDMS easy) with TIE Fighter 100% successfully. Make sure to enable low-level CD-ROM support and make sure that if you installed TIE Fighter onto a drive other than C (ie X:\GAMES\TIECD) that you move X:\TIE.CD to C:\TIE.CD or else it will refuse to run.

2005-04-19, 3:25 PM #10
The Collectors CDROM is the DOS version. The win 95 version is called Tie95 not TieCD
k
N
2005-04-19, 3:51 PM #11
I have TIE 95
2005-04-19, 5:24 PM #12
Oh. :(

2005-04-19, 5:25 PM #13
I didn't have to do anything on this computer to get TIE95 running, works great for me (except that ISDs-don't fire bug :p )
$do || ! $do ; try
try: command not found
Ye Olde Galactic Empire Mission Editor (X-wing, TIE, XvT/BoP, XWA)
2005-04-19, 6:23 PM #14
Funny that this should come up. I went through the exact same thing about a week ago but now I can't find the webpage that explained how to patch the .exe file. I found something else that might help though.

1. Download the Application Compatibility Toolkit 2.0 for Windows XP from here: http://www.microsoft.com/technet/treeview/default.asp?url=/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/downloads/appkitxp.asp

2. Install it

3. Run QFixApp

4. Click Browse and choose the path to TIE95.EXE

5. In "Layers" tab, click on Win95

6. In "Fixes" tab, DISABLE "EmulateJoystick"

7. Click on "Run" to run TIE Fighter 95 and it should work now.

Good luck.
Rock is dead - but I believe in necrophilia.

↑ Up to the top!