Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Ati R420 chip released
Ati R420 chip released
2004-05-04, 5:21 AM #1
http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.html?i=2044&p=1

http://www.tomshardware.com/graphic/20040504/index.html

would seem that Ati have the edge on the performance front again and on the price front too.

although the nvidia cards do offer slightly better technology, but...will we ever see this in games before Ati releases its next version of cards...probably not, will take at least a year for 3.0 shader technology to be implenmented and by that time Ati will probably have a card out that supports it, only week spot I could possibly see in the card.

The fact that the card uses less power than the old generation 9800XT, has a smaller heat sink and produces less heat but gives better performance than even the GeForce 6800 Ultra in almost all games tested, really makes me wonder why nvidia need such a huge heat sink & fan.....bad design???

did nvidia do enough with their latest release?

no flame wars...

------------------
I heard someone say once that the world is a fine place and that it was worth fighting for....I agree with the last part.

People of our generation should not be subjected to mornings.

Rbots website

[This message has been edited by James Bond (edited May 04, 2004).]
People of our generation should not be subjected to mornings.

Rbots
2004-05-04, 8:12 AM #2
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by James Bond:
no flame wars...

</font>

Wishful thinking

The new ATI cards had an edge in most of te new games tested and it was fairly significant in some of them, but based jsut on performance, the Nvidia and ATI cards weren't all that far off.

------------------
I'm not an actor. I just play one on TV.
Pissed Off?
2004-05-04, 9:03 AM #3
I wonder if ATI will ever do anything about their horrible linux drivers?

------------------
EvilMagic.net: Brian's Web Log
2004-05-04, 10:04 AM #4
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Brian:
I wonder if ATI will ever do anything about their horrible linux drivers?</font>

Im sure they will, right about the same time that I start buying their products . . . the day hell freezes over, and Satan starts giving out free sleigh rides...pulled along by his evil, demonic reindeer, screaming HO HO HO, MERRY CHRISTMAS...

------------------
I used to believe that we must fight the future, lest change come without our consent. I was wrong. The truth is that we must embrace the future, for only with change can we remain the same.
And when the moment is right, I'm gonna fly a kite.
2004-05-04, 10:09 AM #5
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by GBK:
Im sure they will, right about the same time that I start buying their products . . . the day hell freezes over, and Satan starts giving out free sleigh rides...pulled along by his evil, demonic reindeer, screaming HO HO HO, MERRY CHRISTMAS...

</font>

And the day you wake up and realize they aren't terrible... but I digress.

Anyway, I figured as much, considering that nVidia keeps thinking "Larger is Better" apparently.

------------------
"The future is not determined by a throw of the dice, but is determined by the conscious decisions of you and me."
I am addicted to ellipses!!! AHHH!!! ...
Make Sorrowind Worthwhile... join it! http://sorrowind.net
2004-05-04, 10:11 AM #6
CM: Ive never had a problem with ATI's hardware. Actully, I think they make decent hardware... But their software! Kakdamn that **** sucks!

------------------
I used to believe that we must fight the future, lest change come without our consent. I was wrong. The truth is that we must embrace the future, for only with change can we remain the same.
And when the moment is right, I'm gonna fly a kite.
2004-05-04, 10:53 AM #7
if you dont use linux ati isn't bad ;0

------------------
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">whenever any form of government becomes destructive to securing the rights of the governed, it is the right of the people to alter or to abolish it</font>

---Thomas jefferson, Declaration of Independance.
whenever any form of government becomes destructive to securing the rights of the governed, it is the right of the people to alter or to abolish it
---Thomas jefferson, Declaration of Independance.
2004-05-04, 10:59 AM #8
It's shocking that ATI doesn't spend all their time working on Linux drivers. I mean everyone in the PC world uses Linux these days [http://forums.massassi.net/html/rolleyes.gif]

They'll get there, jsut given them a little time

------------------
I'm not an actor. I just play one on TV.
Pissed Off?
2004-05-04, 12:55 PM #9
Yes, but nVidia still has much better openGL performace, which is all that matters in linux.

------------------
I check my e-mail.
2004-05-04, 1:57 PM #10
Yet, strangely, the quality of Linux support has absolutely no impact on revenues for either company.
2004-05-04, 2:00 PM #11
Um... no? You're just flat out wrong. I'm tired of your anti-linux crap, Jon'C.

A smart linux user will buy nVidia cards until ATI gets their drivers up to par AND beat nVidia in openGL performance.

------------------
I check my e-mail.
2004-05-04, 2:07 PM #12
I think it's funny how closely the choices of a smart Linux user resemble the choices of a stupid Windows user.
2004-05-04, 2:09 PM #13
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Mystic0:
Um... no? You're just flat out wrong. I'm tired of your anti-linux crap, Jon'C.

A smart linux user will buy nVidia cards until ATI gets their drivers up to par AND beat nVidia in openGL performance.

</font>

Yes, because the people who want to play the newest games will be using linux [http://forums.massassi.net/html/rolleyes.gif]

------------------
WARNING: THIS POST MAY CONTAIN TRACES OF PEANUT!!!
----@%
TheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWho
SaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTh
eJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSa
ysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJ
k
WhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSays
N
iTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkW
2004-05-04, 2:10 PM #14
Your comments are neither intellegent nor appriciated. Please stop with the flamebait.

Edit: (This message is directed toward Jon'C, not the person above me)
------------------
I check my e-mail.

[This message has been edited by Mystic0 (edited May 04, 2004).]
2004-05-04, 2:13 PM #15
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by TheJkWhoSaysNi:

Yes, because the people who want to play the newest games will be using linux [http://forums.massassi.net/html/rolleyes.gif]

</font>

Uh-hu. Is that why I can play UT2004, UT2003, Morrowind, Warcraft III, Max Payne, Battlefield 1942, Jedi Outcast, Soldier of Fortune II, Quake III, Red Alert II, Half Life, Diablo II, Rogue Spear, and GTA III on linux, without major problems?

------------------
I check my e-mail.
2004-05-04, 2:14 PM #16
I can play lots of Linux-native games under Windows too, like.... oh wai
2004-05-04, 2:14 PM #17
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Jon`C:
I think it's funny how closely the choices of a smart Linux user resemble the choices of a stupid Windows user.</font>

Um, really, Jon'C, jsut shut the hell up. I mean, i'm a windows user, don't care for linux much, and yet to me you're still being hideously out of line. You are contributing nothing to this thread.

------------------
"No good can ever come from staying with normal people"
-Outlaw Star
"Some people play tennis. I erode the human soul"
-Tycho, Penny Arcade
"I'm a Cannabal-Vegitarian. I will BBQ an employee if there is no veggie option"
-DX:IW
A Knight's Tail
Exile: A Tale of Light in Dark
Scions of Light[/i]
The Never Ending Story Squared[/i]
A Knight's Tail
Exile: A Tale of Light in Dark
The Never Ending Story²
"I consume the life essence itself!... Preferably medium rare" - Mauldis

-----@%
2004-05-04, 2:29 PM #18
They still need to learn how to use an installer that actually works for their crummy MMC software.

It's a well-known issue that a large amount of people run the installers, and it never installs the damn thing, heh.
2004-05-04, 3:47 PM #19
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Jon`C:
I can play lots of Linux-native games under Windows too, like.... oh wai</font>

Jon`C, I like you, but even I want you to stfu. Nobody cares about what you're saying here...at all. Give it up man.

Anyways, ATi has the advantage, again [http://forums.massassi.net/html/wink.gif]. If they gave better driver support, I'd ditch Microsoft altogether. Gotta get ready for Palladium. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/frown.gif]

------------------
There is no signature
D E A T H
2004-05-04, 4:16 PM #20
Actually, in most of the benchmarks I saw, the 6800 Ultra led the performance and the image quality.

But I still don't like that the 6800 takes TWO power connectors and TWO expansion slots.

------------------
Ω of 14
New! Fun removed by Vinny :[
2004-05-04, 4:16 PM #21
Heh, Jon's funny.
He's just acting like all you pro-linux fanboys, but in reverse!
Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side
2004-05-04, 4:23 PM #22
*shrug* Power and slots don't bother me.

I only use 3 PCI slots anyway, and will only need to use 2 when I go to college(since I can ditch the modem and go with the onboard 10/100 ethernet). I like to keep at least one PCI slot open by my video card anyway, for cooling's sake.

Wow, I was looking to see what 9800 Pro prices were currently at and found this:

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=14-161-109&depa=0

Kinda funny that they'd do that, hehe.

[This message has been edited by Darth (edited May 04, 2004).]
2004-05-04, 4:29 PM #23
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Evil_Tofu:
Heh, Jon's funny.
He's just acting like all you pro-linux fanboys, but in reverse!
</font>

<3

On another note, I'm not exactly graphics card savvy, but the sole fact that nVidia's new card is a freaking goliath should hurt its sales a little, people will lack room in their boxes =P

------------------
* Seb goes around singing "I'm too sexy for my body"
* Wolfy goes around singing "I'm too sexy for Seb's body"
* Cave_Demon steals Seb's underwear (underwear stolen: 39)
"NAILFACE" - spe
2004-05-04, 4:30 PM #24
Damn, that is one big heatsink. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/redface.gif]
Anyway, it'll be interesting to see how the next-gen card lines shape up.
Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side

↑ Up to the top!