Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Cops handcuff 5 year old girl
Cops handcuff 5 year old girl
2005-04-22, 7:54 PM #1
http://www.waff.com/Global/story.asp?S=3249388&nav=0hBEZ0Q8

Personally I think its justified. It'll teach the girl. A similar incident happened to me in the 7th grade. I got in a fight with a 9th grader, and at the principals office, the cop pulled out the handcuffs like he was gonna arrest me.

I didn't get into anymore fights.
I can't think of anything to put here right now.
2005-04-22, 8:05 PM #2
I dunno, 5 seems too young :(
"The only crime I'm guilty of is love [of china]"
- Ruthven
me clan me mod
2005-04-22, 8:10 PM #3
It may seem a little harsh, but if the kid is out of control, what else can you do? It'd be great of the parents were notified and they told them to cuff the kid, but that's never going to happen.
Pissed Off?
2005-04-22, 8:17 PM #4
Well the child was out of control and what were they supposed to do, physically restrain the child? Yeah, right. They'd get sued. The cops didn't arrest the child, but you can be handcuffed at any time if the cops need to. You get pulled over and a cop is searching your car, they can handcuff you if they feel the intent to do so. A couple years ago I was being questioned for something, they read me my miranda rights, but didn't handcuff me. They could have if they wanted to (but they let me go like 20 minutes later when they realized that I was innocent).
2005-04-22, 9:18 PM #5
If it was for the safety of everyone involved I can understand why they handcuffed the girl...
2005-04-22, 9:27 PM #6
Hopefully it scared the little brat straight.
twitter | flickr | last.fm | facebook |
2005-04-22, 10:05 PM #7
She was punching the principal or vice principal. So yeah safety was an issue.
2005-04-22, 10:18 PM #8
I was going to say...
"For getting in another fight with a kid?!"
But seeing as how she was attacking the vice principal, I think its pretty justified.
2005-04-22, 10:25 PM #9
Who is this vice principle? Mr. Burns? Just smack the kid and say "Step off, *****!"

But seriously, the parents shouldn't be complaining. Now if she starts throwing a fit, just say "would you like to be cuffed, again?
"Guns don't kill people, I kill people."
2005-04-22, 10:34 PM #10
I'm surprised she wasn't able to slip through the cuffs...

They probably should've maced her too, never know with that age.
"We came, we saw, we conquered, we...woke up!"
2005-04-22, 11:23 PM #11
That's not harsh.
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2005-04-22, 11:29 PM #12
Quote:
Originally posted by Jedigreedo
I'm surprised she wasn't able to slip through the cuffs...

They probably should've maced her too, never know with that age.

I dunno, I prefer the tazer method myself :p
$do || ! $do ; try
try: command not found
Ye Olde Galactic Empire Mission Editor (X-wing, TIE, XvT/BoP, XWA)
2005-04-22, 11:36 PM #13
Good. Though now she might go and brag about being handcuffed. Cuz, you know. Kids do that. They want to be bad.
一个大西瓜
2005-04-23, 1:20 AM #14
Handcuffs are not a punishment.. it is not HARSH..... handcuffs are a form of restraint.... the only pain she would have suffered, or HARSHNESS is if she tried to pull her hands out... This is completely justified... and I'm sure that the cuffs don't come in a package that says ages 12 and up....
||||||||||||||||||||
2005-04-23, 3:06 AM #15
I think the real atrocity here is that no one could control a 5 year old girl without resorting to physical measures. On the other hand, if hand cuffing really was the only viable option, so be it- but I think 5 is a bit too young. But only a bit...
Massassi's Official Chatroom: irc.synirc.com #massassi
2005-04-23, 6:08 AM #16
That'll learn 'er. :D
[IMG]http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y43/DMC87/f49d0793.gif[/IMG]
2005-04-23, 7:01 AM #17
Some things that would be helpful to know.... what are her parents like? What's the girl's life at home like? Can we see the video of the incident?

At the very least, without the video none of us can make an accurate judgement about the girl and the measures taken.
May the mass times acceleration be with you.
2005-04-23, 7:10 AM #18
Quote:
Originally posted by KOP_Snake
Who is this vice principle? Mr. Burns? Just smack the kid and say "Step off, *****!"

...And then the girl's good-for-nothing wasteland new age hippie textbook dumbass parents would sue the school, the vice principal, the president of the United States, their own parents for not teaching them how to raise a child, God for creating an unfair world, and each other for causing the pregnancy, all because they don't want to have to take any goddamned responsibility for their own ill-begotten spawn.
2005-04-23, 7:13 AM #19
^^ And here is the reason for needing to know more about the parents and the girl's home life...

though by the girl's actions I suppose we can just assume ;)
May the mass times acceleration be with you.
2005-04-23, 7:39 AM #20
Video of her:

http://www.sptimesphotos.com/video/office.html

Picture:

[http://www.tampabays10.com/assetpool/images/05422113333_girl.jpg]
2005-04-23, 7:55 AM #21
That girl has mental issues.
2005-04-23, 8:28 AM #22
After watching that video, I'm glad she was put in handcuffs. She destroys the ladies office, hits her, and is out of control.

I would have punched her myself.
2005-04-23, 8:33 AM #23
She out of control and I blame the parents.
Pissed Off?
2005-04-23, 8:48 AM #24
Parents don't get enough the blame these days, which is unfortunate for all those people who spend time with their kids.
www.dailyvault.com. - As Featured in Guitar Hero II!
2005-04-23, 8:55 AM #25
That teacher had a lot of restraint (maybe it was the camera), but I would've held/smacked the kid down myself
$do || ! $do ; try
2005-04-23, 8:59 AM #26
I'm glad to see this reaction here. Last night I saw adults pussy-foot around this issue on Hanitty and Colmes and a guest prosecutor was citing all the trauma that handcuffing was going to cause this child. My reaction is, "Good"!

Schools have to be scared of how they discipline students. For the safety of the staff, child, and the police I think she had to be handcuffed. It's not like the school had an empty rubber room they could throw the little brat into until her parents could pick her up.
"I would rather claim to be an uneducated man than be mal-educated and claim to be otherwise." - Wookie 03:16

2005-04-23, 9:05 AM #27
The thing that sucks is the teacher had probably just left her anti-brat club somewhere else the day before. Damn Murphy's law.
2005-04-23, 9:21 AM #28
Why did it take 3 cops to handcuff a 5 year old? :p
Catloaf, meet mouseloaf.
My music
2005-04-23, 9:23 AM #29
Prevent injuries to the child.
"I would rather claim to be an uneducated man than be mal-educated and claim to be otherwise." - Wookie 03:16

2005-04-23, 9:29 AM #30
There are more serious implications than anybody has realized yet.

How mind-crushingly stupid is it that this brat thinks she can attack a creature several orders of magnitude more massive than she is? I could rip that little girl in half like a phone book.
2005-04-23, 5:08 PM #31
Quote:
Originally posted by DogSRoOL
Why did it take 3 cops to handcuff a 5 year old? :p

Dunno, but that one female cop with her back to the camera looked hot. >_>
2005-04-23, 5:35 PM #32
Betcha that wouldn't have happened if the teachers could have spanked her.
2005-04-23, 5:44 PM #33
We need physical punishment back in the school systems, it's the only thing kids understand. "Time out" may get them out of your way for a while, but it doesn't exactly scream "omg, never do that again!" to the kid...
$do || ! $do ; try
2005-04-23, 6:12 PM #34
All I know is that if my teachers had ever hit me while I was in school, you can be sure as **** that they would have got hit back.

Fear != Respect, some of you seem confused about that the same way my step-dad is. Don't make me teach you the same lesson I taught him ;)
</sarcasm>
<Anovis> mmmm I wanna lick your wet, Mentis.
2005-04-23, 6:29 PM #35
Quote:
Originally posted by TimeWolfOfThePast
Hopefully it scared the little brat straight.

Yeah, it wasn't like she was spanked in public or anything. Just cuffed. She will probably laugh at it later in a few years.
2005-04-23, 7:11 PM #36
Quote:
Originally posted by Compos Mentis
All I know is that if my teachers had ever hit me while I was in school, you can be sure as **** that they would have got hit back.

Fear != Respect, some of you seem confused about that the same way my step-dad is. Don't make me teach you the same lesson I taught him ;)

Pshh. The only difference between respect and fear is that with respect, you like the person, and with fear, you don't.

You clearly weren't afraid enough to be intimidated into obedience. Which, when you think about it, is the fundamental idea behind discipline of any sort, corporal or no.
So sayest the Writer of Silly Things!
2005-04-23, 7:13 PM #37
I thought it somewhat telling that the officer was like "Remember me?" and saying something about how he had told her mom he would put her in cuffs. Hopefully this brat will learn her lesson.

2005-04-23, 7:27 PM #38
That kid needs a good beating with a paddle. The handcuffs are a good start.
[This message has been edited. Deal with it.]
2005-04-23, 7:42 PM #39
Do you all notice how she started crying once the handcuffs were put on her? It shows she knows the difference between right and wrong. Obviously, that woman couldn't show the girl what she was doing was wrong because she wasn't acting out against the girl in any way other than to protect her own things. Handcuffing her gave her the perfect message: What you are doing is bad. She knows what jail is, and she knows bad people go there, and she thinks having cuffs on her means she's going to jail.

On top of all that, if they hadn't handcuffed her, they would have been in more trouble when they pulled her arm out of socket from trying to keep hold of her. She was out of control, and age has nothing to do with it. For their safety and hers, she was detained. The court will easily see this.

Oh, and about 'beating' your kids: Fear is a necessity in a parental to child relationship. Children do not understand WHY they are being punished and fear it. This, after a while, grows into respect once the meaning and understanding of the punishment is gotten across. SOME people can do spankings, and do them well. It takes a level head and a good judgement to know when a spanking will get the message across more than a stern talking to. Sadly, as mentis describes, not all parents spank out of knowledge of it's power, but responsability on their part, but out of anger. Spanking out of anger is bad. Very bad.

JediKirby
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2005-04-23, 7:49 PM #40
Quote:
Originally posted by jEDIkIRBY
Do you all notice how she started crying once the handcuffs were put on her? It shows she knows the difference between right and wrong. Obviously, that woman couldn't show the girl what she was doing was wrong because she wasn't acting out against the girl in any way other than to protect her own things. Handcuffing her gave her the perfect message: What you are doing is bad. She knows what jail is, and she knows bad people go there, and she thinks having cuffs on her means she's going to jail.

On top of all that, if they hadn't handcuffed her, they would have been in more trouble when they pulled her arm out of socket from trying to keep hold of her. She was out of control, and age has nothing to do with it. For their safety and hers, she was detained. The court will easily see this.

Oh, and about 'beating' your kids: Fear is a necessity in a parental to child relationship. Children do not understand WHY they are being punished and fear it. This, after a while, grows into respect once the meaning and understanding of the punishment is gotten across. SOME people can do spankings, and do them well. It takes a level head and a good judgement to know when a spanking will get the message across more than a stern talking to. Sadly, as mentis describes, not all parents spank out of knowledge of it's power, but responsability on their part, but out of anger. Spanking out of anger is bad. Very bad.

JediKirby

Wiser words have never been spoken from a pink-puff with a lightsaber.
</sarcasm>
<Anovis> mmmm I wanna lick your wet, Mentis.

↑ Up to the top!