Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Star Wars: Revelations
Star Wars: Revelations
2005-04-24, 11:39 AM #1
http://www.panicstruckpro.com/revelations/

bad acting in the trailer (i'm about to watch the whole thing)... but the effects look like they were done by someone who knows a bit about what they are doing and it's free
eat right, exercise, die anyway
2005-04-24, 11:48 AM #2
that page is taking years for me to load :( it looks kinda cool though, from what bits have loaded.
2005-04-24, 11:51 AM #3
Well, I'm trying to get the trailer, but the site is slow as hell.
nope.
2005-04-24, 11:51 AM #4
The poster is really good, the only thing that's turning me off about it is the awful acting (but its a fanfilm what do you expect).
twitter | flickr | last.fm | facebook |
2005-04-24, 11:55 AM #5
effects look great, but yeah... most of the acting makes it seem very soap opera-ish. like days of our lives with lightsabers.
2005-04-24, 12:02 PM #6
Anyone else having trouble downloading the movie? My download always quits at 11mb.
2005-04-24, 12:04 PM #7
Yeah, very Soap Opera style acting, and one thing in the trailer really bugged me, when you saw that TIE explode, why was there a giant nut flying away from it? Surely the bolts in a TIE aren't that big.
nope.
2005-04-24, 12:32 PM #8
oh god was that bad acting... the effects are mostly made for tv level... a little better in a couple spots

the theme at the beginning is the most badly butchered version of it i've heard

but it was free...
2005-04-24, 12:42 PM #9
GAH... buy a good camera for god's sake!!!
>>untie shoes
2005-04-24, 12:43 PM #10
For those having trouble with the download, here's a torrent of the WMV:

http://www.blacbaron.co.uk.nyud.net:8090/revelations_film_large.wmv.torrent
Real Programmers always confuse Christmas and Halloween because Oct31 == Dec25
2005-04-24, 12:45 PM #11
Quote:
Originally posted by Bill
GAH... buy a good camera for god's sake!!!

You know how much it costs for a good camera?
2005-04-24, 12:49 PM #12
Yes. I have one.

You can get a Panasonic AG-DVX100A for about $3000 usd.
You can get a Canon XL2 for about $4000 usd.
You can get a Sony HVR-Z1U for $5000 usd.

The Panasonic shoots in 24p, which gives it a film like look.. it's what seperates soap operas from movies. In this case, 24p would have been nice.

The Canon XL2 shoots in 24p as well as true 16:9 aspect ratio. Instead of cropping the image, it's actually a wider image.

The Sony HVR-Z1U shoots in 24p, 16:9, and High Definition. High def wouldn't really help here since it's online video, but it's still really nice to have the option.

I have the Sony.

Is that enough info, or did you not expect me to know what I'm talking about?

EDIT: And if you can do that level of CGI, odds are you can afford a high end mini dv camcorder, instead of something that shoots in horrible 60i "home video" mode.
>>untie shoes
2005-04-24, 12:59 PM #13
Quote:

The Sony HVR-Z1U shoots in 24p, 16:9, and High Definition. High def wouldn't really help here since it's online video, but it's still really nice to have the option.

you must have missed the download link for DVD images then...
2005-04-24, 1:02 PM #14
Yeah I must have... the page was loading really slowly so I just clicked on the quicktime thing. My mistake.

Still, hd would do no good because DVD only has a resolution of 720x480. HDDVD would work, but we don't have that yet.
>>untie shoes
2005-04-24, 1:12 PM #15
Quote:
Yeah I must have... the page was loading really slowly so I just clicked on the quicktime thing. My mistake.

Still, hd would do no good because DVD only has a resolution of 720x480. HDDVD would work, but we don't have that yet.

yeah but HD downsampled to DVD would still have the chance of looking better...

think about it... an HD channel on a non HDTV still looks cleaner than the same channel on a non HD signal
2005-04-24, 1:18 PM #16
Quote:
And if you can do that level of CGI, odds are you can afford a high end mini dv camcorder, instead of something that shoots in horrible 60i "home video" mode.

In most cases fan films aren't composed of just a small group of people locally, but globally. You find someone who has the money to gain access to CGI software and they volunteer their assistance. It isn't as if these are big-budget production companies putting these things together, they're people who want to do something for fun. Usually the only money that exchanges hands is for a certain crew member pooling together for their own respective software.

Also, most people get the programs at student discount, which are less than any price you listed for a camera.
2005-04-24, 1:26 PM #17
That level of CGI would take about 30 years to render on a "student" computer. You need a network for that kind of stuff. If you can afford a network, you can afford a DVX.
>>untie shoes
2005-04-24, 1:35 PM #18
Not if it were rendered in different layers.
2005-04-24, 1:38 PM #19
The end rendering time is about the same. This is what I go to school for.
>>untie shoes
2005-04-24, 1:47 PM #20
Then you would know it wouldn't take 30 years to render everything, and I didn't say they were on a student computer, I said they could get the software at student discount. The 3D software I have at student discount works fairly quickly on my computer, and rendering is rather short.

Just because you go to school for it doesn't make you right or an authority on it. That'd be like a psychology student making a diagnosis on a person when they have no qualifications.
2005-04-24, 1:49 PM #21
We use XL1s, they're pretty slick.
2005-04-24, 2:11 PM #22
Quote:
Most of this work was done by an ever-changing roster of 30 to 40 volunteers online, drawn from around the world

This is from the article, page 2.

It was a decent movie. Not the best SW fan movie ever, but quite good. A nice snack while waiting for Imps...
Frozen in the past by ICARUS
2005-04-24, 2:12 PM #23
Quote:
Originally posted by lassev
Imps...

Eiyee, I can't wait. TROOPS is my all-time favorite fan film, hopefully IMPS will be just as good, if not better.
2005-04-24, 2:28 PM #24
Quote:
Originally posted by TimeWolfOfThePast
Then you would know it wouldn't take 30 years to render everything, and I didn't say they were on a student computer, I said they could get the software at student discount. The 3D software I have at student discount works fairly quickly on my computer, and rendering is rather short.

Just because you go to school for it doesn't make you right or an authority on it. That'd be like a psychology student making a diagnosis on a person when they have no qualifications.

1. 30 years was an exaggeration.
2. It would be very hard to do that level of CG on your average computer.
3. I didn't know it was done by volunteers.
4. The above point makes me wonder even more why they didn't spend 3 grand on a Panasonic that way their movie could look good.
>>untie shoes
2005-04-24, 2:30 PM #25
For the same reason it was done by volunteers. Budgets are limited, you can't get what you want, you use what you already have.
2005-04-24, 2:42 PM #26
It also says in the article they spent 20k on this movie. 3 more wouldn't hurt.
>>untie shoes
2005-04-24, 2:43 PM #27
You make it sound like their money grew on trees. Like Broken Alligence 2 (which was cancelled) they probably received donations for the project (BA2 received about the same amount in donations I believe). Another 3 grand is only as possible as the amount of fans who want to see it.
2005-04-24, 2:45 PM #28
Renting a camera is also a possibility. You can rent a high grade mini-dv camera for very cheap. There are answers to budget constraints. You just have to look for them.
>>untie shoes
2005-04-24, 2:46 PM #29
It also said the budget came from maxed out credit cards. Get one more.
>>untie shoes
2005-04-24, 2:49 PM #30
Once again, you're making sound easier than it actually is. Getting one more credit card with a history of maxing out your previous ones won't boad well for your acceptance of one.
2005-04-24, 2:52 PM #31
Look I am 19 and I have a 5000 dollar camera. It is NOT HARD TO GET ONE! I know this from experience! I am not assuming it is easy. I KNOW it is easy.
>>untie shoes
2005-04-24, 2:53 PM #32
Quote:
It also said the budget came from maxed out credit cards. Get one more.

That brilliant. :rolleyes:
Pissed Off?
2005-04-24, 2:54 PM #33
i can get one for free that isn't even mine.

actually, i have six of these to choose from.
2005-04-24, 2:59 PM #34
Ugh... my point is if you're going to do something don't do it half assed. Don't spend a bunch of money on other stuff and then use a ****ty camera.

If you can't do it; Don't try it. It will suck.

They couldn't do it. They tried it. It sucks.
>>untie shoes
2005-04-24, 3:01 PM #35
Sometimes all that people can afford is doing it half-assed. Who are YOU to tell them that they shouldn't? Practice makes perfect, and if they continue to practice each latter attempt will be even better and less half-assed.

You don't need a $5,000 camera to make a good movie, nor does the movie rest in the brand of camera.
2005-04-24, 3:04 PM #36
If you cannot pull off a big concept, you should do smaller concepts first. You should continue with smaller concepts until you have the ability/resources to pull off the bigger concept.

It's the same reason the Matrix is great and Equilibrium sucks.
>>untie shoes
2005-04-24, 3:06 PM #37
The special effects in Equilibrium were terrible, granted. But I found everything else about the movie better than The Matrix. However, Dark City still owns them both.
2005-04-24, 3:08 PM #38
You have now shown me that you have precisely no idea what you're talking about. Good job.
>>untie shoes
2005-04-24, 3:09 PM #39
Likewise, but it took you less posts to prove that to me.
2005-04-24, 3:10 PM #40
Should we consolidate this into one thread, or perhaps an IM window?
>>untie shoes

↑ Up to the top!