Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → My monitor is going dark...
My monitor is going dark...
2004-05-04, 7:27 PM #1
One of my monitors is getting very dim even though I have the brightness and contrast pumped up as high as they will go. I have to compensate by artificially boosting the gamma with the adobe gamma loader utility that comes with photoshop, probably beyond what the monitor was originally meant to handle. I hate to do this b/c it may decrease the life of the monitor by placing extra demand on the tubes, but in order to see anything, i have no choice. watching movies on it is nearly impossible b/c there is not enough brightness to show any details.

Why is this happening? Maybe the monitor is just old-- i've had it for around 8 years and it's been hooked to 3 different computers over the course of its life, so maybe the cathode tubes are depleted and have less particles to emit, meaning less brightness. i'm guessing here b/c i know very little about how monitors work.

It was (and still kind of is) a damn good monitor, even back in the day when it had many more features than the average monitor on the market then. It's an old NEC multisync c-500.

------------------
Old aunts used to come up to me at weddings, poking me in the ribs and cackling, telling me, "You're next." They stopped after I started doing the same thing to them at funerals.

[This message has been edited by Pagewizard_YKS (edited May 04, 2004).]
2004-05-04, 7:32 PM #2
I don't know exactly why, but this is a quite common way for monitors to go out when they get old.

------------------
Have a good one,
Freelancer
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2004-05-04, 7:33 PM #3
Yup, it's just old.

------------------
Cantina Cloud | BCF | The Massassian 1, 2 & 3 | Gonkmeg
Corrupting the kiddies since '97
2004-05-04, 7:33 PM #4
Probably just dying.

------------------
[This message has been edited. Deal with it.]
[This message has been edited. Deal with it.]
2004-05-05, 2:50 AM #5
Do you have stereo speakers near by cause the magnets inside of them can sometimes disrupt your monitor... if thats the case just move the speakers away and it should be fine again.

------------------
<Outlaw_Torn> you mean your related to that damned sasquatch, Mech?
<MechWarrior> Lets just say the part of the family tree that does fork has bossy the goat in it.

<ubuu> does hitler have a last name?
2004-05-05, 4:54 AM #6
It's done.

------------------
To artificial life, all reality is virtual.
HTP
babble, babble, b!tch, b!tch, rebel, rebel, party, party.
2004-05-05, 5:14 AM #7
here's what you should do.

1. Unplug monitor from power and computer.
2. Take it to you the nearest tall building.
3. Drop from any window on the 2nd story or above.

------------------
Prowling out of the tundra, swinging a jeweled meat hammer, cometh Outlaw Torn! And he gives a gutteral bellow:

"I'm seriously going to hump you until you scream like a banshee!"
obviously you've never been able to harness the power of cleavage...

maeve
2004-05-05, 5:22 AM #8
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by MechWarrior:
Do you have stereo speakers near by cause the magnets inside of them can sometimes disrupt your monitor... if thats the case just move the speakers away and it should be fine again.

</font>

the only speakers I have anywhere near the computer are made for computers-- those kind are supposed to be magnetically insulated.

------------------
Old aunts used to come up to me at weddings, poking me in the ribs and cackling, telling me, "You're next." They stopped after I started doing the same thing to them at funerals.
2004-05-05, 6:33 AM #9
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Pagewizard_YKS:
the only speakers I have anywhere near the computer are made for computers-- those kind are supposed to be magnetically insulated.

</font>

Just because they are supposed to be doesnt mean they are. My POS Logitech speakers arent.

But even so they wouldnt cause the whole monitor to go black.
2004-05-05, 8:23 AM #10
Sounds like the moniter is just old. I suggest you just save up some money to get a new one. My old moniter that I had for a whooping seven years (!!!) had finally kicked the bucket last month. I spent about $200 for a new 19" flat screen CRT with a max resolution of 1600x1200 and I've been lovin' it ever since [http://forums.massassi.net/html/biggrin.gif]

-- SavageX

------------------
"...and if you don't like that, then you need to be slugged in the face repeatedly, until my hands are soaked in blood. Have a nice day!"
http://www.savagex.net
The cake is a lie... THE CAKE IS A LIE!!!!!

↑ Up to the top!