Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Verified by Visa [a.k.a. Die, Tim Norris, Die!]
Verified by Visa [a.k.a. Die, Tim Norris, Die!]
2005-04-26, 12:38 AM #1
Just got this in my inbox - I have two cards that are Visa, the "Verified by Visa" is a system that is being introduced (however, I believe it won't be anything that customers see - I've heard of it through my work as a system to protect merchants from fraud rather than customers), and Visa are currently running a promotion of sorts that I've seen. So, reading this for the first time, I nearly didn't think too much of it. However, I've never associated the email address this came to with either of my cards, I DON'T live in the US or Canada, and the link all set alarm bells ringing in my head.

Quote:
[some cruddy visa logo thinger here]

Dear Visa customer,

Before activating your card, please read this important information for cardholders.

You have been sent this invitation because the records of Visa USA/Canada indicate that
you are current Visa cardholder and your Visa Card is not registered with our Verified by Visa
Services. To ensure your Visa CardÃ’ security, it is important that you protect your card
with a personal password.
Our Verified by Visa Service adds extra security features when you shop online at the
participating stores, pay your bills or receive incoming transfers from third parties.

Please take a moment and activate your Verified by Visa facility now.

Registration is fast and simple, and does not cost you a penny.

Once your card is activated, your card number will be recognized whenever you purchase
at participating online stores. You will enter your password in the Verified by Visa window,
your identity will be verified, and the transaction will be completed. In stores that are not yet
participating in Verified by Visa, your Visa card will continue to work as usual.

[link to http://verifiedvisa-online.com]To Register Your Visa Card, Please Click to Enter Verified by Visa Site[/link]

Sincerely,

Visa USA/Canada Customer Center

So, suspicion piqued, I visited the site (not via the link of course) - all it basically is is an input box with links to what I assume is the REAL visa site. A quick WHOIS lookup reveals a probably fake alias of Tim Norris:
Code:
::Administrative Contact::
	Name      : Tim Norris
	Email     : verifiedvisa@web2mail.com
	Address   : 6604 Skylemar Trail
	Zipcode   : 20121
	Nation    : US
	Tel       : 703 988 9061
	Fax       : 

Anyone else received any of these?
2005-04-26, 12:58 AM #2
No, but that Verified by Visa rubbish has rendered my Visa useless online: it always asks me for some password that it has preset without telling me what it is (i neither applied for, nor desire, the stupid service) and now i just can't use it.

Thank goodness for Amex :)
My blog! http://rpg-rant.blogspot.com/

↑ Up to the top!