Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Making better backups
Making better backups
2004-05-05, 10:23 AM #1
I was wondering if there's a utility out there that will let me save every single program/driver on my hard drive (except windows) along with the necessary registry entries to a series of cds or DVD discs.

When i reinstall windows, I have to reload the programs one by one and it takes all day. I was wondering if a program existed that would let me save a image of my hard disk and will let me restore all you programs all at once instead of reinstalling them one at a time. I dread doing it like that b/c I lose a whole day gettign everything back the way it was before.

Does such a thing exist to solve this problem?

------------------
Old aunts used to come up to me at weddings, poking me in the ribs and cackling, telling me, "You're next." They stopped after I started doing the same thing to them at funerals.

[This message has been edited by Pagewizard_YKS (edited May 05, 2004).]
2004-05-05, 10:28 AM #2
Norton Ghost.

------------------
To artificial life, all reality is virtual.
HTP
babble, babble, b!tch, b!tch, rebel, rebel, party, party.
2004-05-05, 10:32 AM #3
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Darth Evad:
Norton Ghost.

</font>

Aye, but that would backup Windows along with the probram.

Still, Ghost is your best bet. Install Windows, take the snapshot, then restore that snapshot whenever Windows croaks...

------------------
I used to believe that we must fight the future, lest change come without our consent. I was wrong. The truth is that we must embrace the future, for only with change can we remain the same.
And when the moment is right, I'm gonna fly a kite.
2004-05-05, 10:49 AM #4
does it support using DVDs? That's a must for me b/c I'd rather have everything on 1 or 2 dvd discs instead of about 20 cds.

Does it allow compression or is it just making an iso of your hard drive?

------------------
Old aunts used to come up to me at weddings, poking me in the ribs and cackling, telling me, "You're next." They stopped after I started doing the same thing to them at funerals.
2004-05-05, 3:07 PM #5
Use partimage (linux). It makes an ISO image of a single partition and gzip compressess it. You can use it to restore the image too, and is avalible on the sys-restore CD. (Look for a link on the partimage website.) You can also make it start a new image when the current one reaches a specified size, which is useful when burning onto a disk which has limited capacity.

Oh, and did I mention it's free?
------------------
I check my e-mail.

[This message has been edited by Mystic0 (edited May 05, 2004).]

2004-05-05, 3:30 PM #6
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Mystic0:
Use partimage (linux). It makes an ISO image of a single partition and gzip compressess it. You can use it to restore the image too, and is avalible on the sys-restore CD. (Look for a link on the partimage website.) You can also make it start a new image when the current one reaches a specified size, which is useful when burning onto a disk which has limited capacity.

Oh, and did I mention it's free?
</font>

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Pagewizard_YKS:
I was wondering if there's a utility out there that will let me save every single program/driver on my hard drive (except windows) along with the necessary registry entries to a series of cds or DVD discs.

When i reinstall windows, I have to reload the programs one by one and it takes all day. I was wondering if a program existed that would let me save a image of my hard disk and will let me restore all you programs all at once instead of reinstalling them one at a time. I dread doing it like that b/c I lose a whole day gettign everything back the way it was before.

Does such a thing exist to solve this problem?

</font>

???

I'm actually looking for the same thing!

------------------
[="Mothers stop cooking take off your aprons; Fathers stop looking at every sports station; Take a second, and think of every poor nation." - Nas=]

Massassian since: March 12, 2001
Got a permanent feather in my cap;
Got a stretch to my stride;
a stroll to my step;

↑ Up to the top!