Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → This product sucks.
This product sucks.
2005-04-30, 3:25 PM #1
Never use Norton Internet Security. It is by FAR the worst program I've ever used. Today I could sense some virus activity on my computer, so I installed Norton Antivirus, along with Internet security..., after I got them both updated.. my DSL no longer worked. No matter what I did, I could not like... get access to websites in ANY browser, connect to steam, etc. My computer also seemed to operate a lot slower. So I scanned for viruses and ignored it. I had 5 viruses on my computer that Norton picked up. I restarted my computer, same thing happened. So I decided to uninstall Internet Security as a test. As soon as a restart my computer from the uninstall... guess what..., my internet works!

But yeah.. it's probobly the most satanic piece of software ever made. I recommend you not using it.

[Edit: you suck]
2005-04-30, 3:32 PM #2
Quote:
Originally posted by -Monoxide-
But yeah.. it's prob[a]bly the most satanic piece of hardware ever made. I recommend you not using it.

Wow, I didn't know that Norton made PCs!

Well, considering the software, I know that you had major problems with it, but I have heard of a lot of people who like it.
2005-04-30, 3:34 PM #3
I used to have it, remember when that what was it... like a year ago it was a worm going around that everyone got. Can't remember, but norton said it had picked up the worm in the system, then norton turned itself off! Then my pc shut down... :(
nope.
2005-04-30, 3:37 PM #4
http://free.grisoft.com/freeweb.php

Never had a problem, never looked back.
"Whats that for?" "Thats the machine that goes 'ping'" PING!
Q. How many testers does it take to change a light bulb?
A. We just noticed the room was dark; we don't actually fix the problems.
MCMF forever.
2005-04-30, 3:40 PM #5
you know most viruses will go after anti-virus software? If you did have a virus it probably stopped norton working correctly.
TheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWho
SaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTh
eJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSa
ysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJ
k
WhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSays
N
iTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkW
2005-04-30, 3:43 PM #6
I don't think so, Norton never pulls its weight for anyone, It was something along the line of "We have detected worm in your system, we don't know how to get rid of it" then it closed itself.
nope.
2005-04-30, 3:56 PM #7
Oh, so it's like the old "I scanned the system until a virus interrupted the scan and made me shut down" Spybot S&D.

But the most satanic piece of software ever made was definitely Windows ME.
Stuff
2005-04-30, 4:15 PM #8
Norton sucks. I could've told you that.
D E A T H
2005-04-30, 4:46 PM #9
Your problem?

You're too much of a bonehead to configure the firewall that came with the Norton Security suite.

Also, I used WinME for YEARS... and never EVER EVER had a problem with it.

I would leave my computer going for weeks too. (HEY, weeks is a HIGH number for windows...)
2005-04-30, 4:52 PM #10
Quote:
Originally posted by Rob
You're too much of a bonehead to configure the firewall that came with the Norton Security suite.

Bingo.

In my family, we've got Norton installed on (at least) six computers - firewall and antivirus. It's worked just dandily.
the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot - LC Tusken
2005-04-30, 5:36 PM #11
No problems with the Norton Suite either. It works great, IMHO.
2005-04-30, 5:40 PM #12
I've Norton on just to auto-detect shut when I download something, and Internet Security is always disabled. I'm reformatting over the summer, so I just won't put the crap back on there again.
$do || ! $do ; try
try: command not found
Ye Olde Galactic Empire Mission Editor (X-wing, TIE, XvT/BoP, XWA)
2005-04-30, 6:28 PM #13
I've used Norton's for over 8 years. Never had ANY problems that were it's fault.
"In the beginning, the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move." - Douglas Adams
Are you finding Ling-Ling's head?
Last Stand
2005-04-30, 6:31 PM #14
hmm.. I can't remember the last time I turned off or restarted my desktop PC.

Currently running Windows XP... It has to have been at least 2 months.
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.

Lassev: I guess there was something captivating in savagery, because I liked it.
2005-04-30, 6:33 PM #15
I'm aware of this. It didn't detect the Trojan I got. But I use Ad-Aware did.
Skateboarding is not a crime.
2005-04-30, 6:38 PM #16
Just learn how to use it.

Step one is to always have it installed. The whole "hmm i think i might have a virus, i'd better install anti-virus software!" approach really won't work.
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. " - Bertrand Russell
The Triumph of Stupidity in Mortals and Others 1931-1935
2005-04-30, 6:41 PM #17
Step two is to uninstall it because it's easily infected along with your computer with many viruses, has shoddy detection as is, and doesn't realize that viruses can still run out of its quarantine.

I've seen all of these things happen. PC-Cillin >>>>>> Norton
D E A T H
2005-04-30, 6:47 PM #18
No. No. No.

Step one to use COMMON SENSE and avoid possible routes for infection in the first place.

Step two is to have anti-virus software installed all the time.

And I continue to backup Norton's. Eight years. And I've never had a virus problem that it couldn't help me fix. You can say it's crap all you want, but when I've used something that's worked right at flawlessly for 8 years straight... Well... you'll have a LOT of convincing to do to make me see otherwise.
"In the beginning, the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move." - Douglas Adams
Last Stand
2005-04-30, 6:50 PM #19
Quote:
Originally posted by phoenix_9286
No. No. No.

Step one to use COMMON SENSE and avoid possible routes for infection in the first place.

Step two is to have anti-virus software installed all the time.

And I continue to backup Norton's. Eight years. And I've never had a virus problem that it couldn't help me fix. You can say it's crap all you want, but when I've used something that's worked right at flawlessly for 8 years straight... Well... you'll have a LOT of convincing to do to make me see otherwise.

I use step one, and haven't had a virus problem for QUITE a few years. Part of the reason norton works so well for you is you're on dialup. Do you know how hard it is to really get a virus if you use prevention methods on dialup? Downloading on broadband is mere seconds for something that would take hours on dial up.

Step two is a no-duh thing with any and all anti-virus software.
D E A T H
2005-04-30, 7:08 PM #20
Norton is pretty good.
2005-04-30, 7:10 PM #21
Yeah, back home on dial-up, Norton can do it just fine. But on my T3 here, forget it, I need a real program.
$do || ! $do ; try
try: command not found
Ye Olde Galactic Empire Mission Editor (X-wing, TIE, XvT/BoP, XWA)
2005-04-30, 7:24 PM #22
Your problem was not having it installed IN THE FIRST PLACE. Firewalls and Antivirus software are PREVENTATIVE measures. They are not intended to be installed after your computer is infected with a multitude of virii and then you say "ok, perform a miracle!". If you're going to say that a piece of software sucks, you should AT LEAST use it correctly first.
Little angel go away
Come again some other day
Devil has my ear today
I'll never hear a word you say
2005-04-30, 9:21 PM #23
Ever since we moved off of CompuServe and onto real ISPs - Earthlink, and then Charter cable - we've had Norton installed. Never had a virus get onto our system, and Norton was the only thing that stopped the hackers when they made their way past our router's firewall.
the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot - LC Tusken
2005-04-30, 9:46 PM #24
Quote:
Originally posted by Dj Yoshi
I use step one, and haven't had a virus problem for QUITE a few years. Part of the reason norton works so well for you is you're on dialup. Do you know how hard it is to really get a virus if you use prevention methods on dialup? Downloading on broadband is mere seconds for something that would take hours on dial up.

Step two is a no-duh thing with any and all anti-virus software.

Oh PLEASE.... You're trying to tell me it's HARD to get a virus via dial-up simply because I can't download things as fast? Let's see... Are we refering to wares now? Because that's the only thing that comes to mind immediately where having to download large files that could be potentially infected would play into this. And if you aren't.... show me a virus that's several freaking meg in filesize.

Dude, it's painfully easy to get a virus on ANY computer, with ANY internet connection.
Last Stand
2005-04-30, 9:49 PM #25
I use AVG Free and Windows Firewall and I don't have any problems.
2005-04-30, 9:49 PM #26
But dial-up connections don't have static IPs - unlike most broadband.
2005-04-30, 9:55 PM #27
Quote:
Oh PLEASE.... You're trying to tell me it's HARD to get a virus via dial-up simply because I can't download things as fast? Let's see... Are we refering to wares now? Because that's the only thing that comes to mind immediately where having to download large files that could be potentially infected would play into this. And if you aren't.... show me a virus that's several freaking meg in filesize.

Dude, it's painfully easy to get a virus on ANY computer, with ANY internet connection.

I think he mostly meant that it's harder on dial-up because it's not an always-on connection like cable and DSL. That's my guess anyway.
Little angel go away
Come again some other day
Devil has my ear today
I'll never hear a word you say
2005-04-30, 10:18 PM #28
Unplug the cable. You're not online. Have your ISP shuffle your IP around. You're not static.

While that may have been his point, it's EASILY countered.
Last Stand
2005-04-30, 10:20 PM #29
Quote:

1) Dial Up connections are not static.
2) Dial Up is not always on
3) Dial Up is painfully slow (few kbps) so that even say, a 100kb virus takes a few seconds to get. These few seconds can be cancelled by closing said browser window, or interrupting the transfer, and if you have an antivirus, it has a TON more time to detect it.
3) Most viruses are now 500kb + in size. Last time I remember, 1 meg=5 minutes to download. So that's 2.5 minutes your average virus has to be detected. Much better than 400kbps downloads, in which case it's far less than 2 seconds to be detected.

Yeah, I think that sums it up. It's not painfully easy, or even easy to get on any connection. I've seen people on dial up never get a virus, and boast that they were so awesome, then go to broadband and immediately get reamed by viruses. Yes, I am saying it's harder to get with dial up.

Not only that, but you can't just 'unplug your cable', and neither would you want to. You're forced to with dial up. You can't legally have your ISPs change your IP I don't think, but it does change SOMETIMES when you reset your modem. For the most part, it's static.
D E A T H
2005-04-30, 10:23 PM #30
You're also claiming that the Anti-Virus program will NOT detect the virus after it's been downloaded into the system, which it can.
Last Stand
2005-04-30, 10:23 PM #31
But it is much less likely as it has to do a system scan, by which time it can be already embedded into the system and the scanner. Not to mention it's called a preventative measure for a reason.
D E A T H
2005-04-30, 10:26 PM #32
Quote:
You can't legally have your ISPs change your IP I don't think, but it does change SOMETIMES when you reset your modem. For the most part, it's static.

http://www.bellsouth.com/consumer/inetsrvcs/index.html

Read down at the bottom under OPTIONAL FEATURES.

Static IP is optional. Now, I don't know about OTHER ISPs, but BellSouth has it as an OPTION. Meaning that your IP with them changes unless you specify otherwise.
Last Stand
2005-04-30, 10:32 PM #33
Bellsouth is just one ISP in the long line of many. And I can tell you mine does not offer a dynamic IP address.

So yeah, don't even try to counter that point.
D E A T H
2005-04-30, 10:32 PM #34
Toatly off topic, but you said "product" so I have a story that involved the word.

So at work we have this small sign, "Out of Product" that we put on the soda fountain when a certain soda runs out (if it does) so one day I put the sign on my croch and was walking around. Everyone giggled at it.
And my product rocks.
2005-04-30, 10:35 PM #35
Quote:
Bellsouth is just one ISP in the long line of many. And I can tell you mine does not offer a dynamic IP address.

My IP changes every day around midnight. It sucks because any downloads I may have going get cut off, and it sometimes causes my router to go nuts. :(
2005-04-30, 10:36 PM #36
Quote:

Counter? I'm not countering it. I'm just stating that you can legally have your ISP rotate you IP. IF they offer it as a service. And if they don't you already pointed out a way that MIGHT change it.
Last Stand
2005-04-30, 10:37 PM #37
Quote:
But it is much less likely as it has to do a system scan, by which time it can be already embedded into the system and the scanner.

It doesn't have to do a system scan; For me, it usually automatically detects (and removes) any threats before they get very far. The only time it didn't detect something was that virus that was spread around MSN a few months ago, and by the next morning Norton already had an update to remove it.

For the most part, I can't contribute much to this discussion because I wouldn't know what I was talking about, but the only problem I've ever had with norton is that sometimes it blocks certain websites (it doesn't seem to like java, for some reason), but that's solved by disabling it and refreshing the page. Other than that, it's run perfectly for me for the past year or so.
Moo.
2005-04-30, 10:38 PM #38
Quote:
Originally posted by Shintock
My IP changes every day around midnight. It sucks because any downloads I may have going get cut off, and it sometimes causes my router to go nuts. :(

Well... Don't download stuff around midnight.

I'm done being a smartass now. ;)
Last Stand
2005-05-01, 1:25 AM #39
I just uninstalled Norton and installed AVG Free. My computer is running MUCH faster now. Maybe this will even fix my stupid burning and recording problems.
2005-05-01, 1:50 AM #40
Quote:
Originally posted by -Monoxide-

So, you are infected and want to spread it by being online?

↑ Up to the top!