Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → lol, lmao, rotflmao...
lol, lmao, rotflmao...
2005-04-30, 8:20 PM #1
Of all the things to birth out of the Internet, acronyms like LOL, LMAO and ROTFLMAO are the worst and the first to start them should be taken out into the streets and shot!

Who's with me?
twitter | flickr | last.fm | facebook |
2005-04-30, 8:24 PM #2
I used to agree with you; I've been corrupted now though (I would still never use "lol", but I use "brb" and the like on occassion).
Stuff
2005-04-30, 8:29 PM #3
omgwtfbbq
free(jin);
tofu sucks
2005-04-30, 8:35 PM #4
I don't have a problem with some of the other ones (BRB, WTF, OMG). But LOL, LMAO, etc. just really piss me off. It seems only unintelligent people use them.
2005-04-30, 9:00 PM #5
I don't care if they're used in the case of an actual funny event. However, when someone tries to use LOL or LMAO or whatever as a quip or some sort of egotistical BS speech about their supremecy over you...that's when it's pathetic. Just utterly pathetic.
"We came, we saw, we conquered, we...woke up!"
2005-04-30, 9:14 PM #6
Yeah, I'll use brb or wtf, but using lol? Maybe once every couple of weeks. I actually have to be laughing pretty hard to use it. I just use "heh" most the time, because that's all it normally get out of me.
$do || ! $do ; try
try: command not found
Ye Olde Galactic Empire Mission Editor (X-wing, TIE, XvT/BoP, XWA)
2005-04-30, 9:23 PM #7
I use "BRB," but prefer "ha ha ha ha ha" when I'm laughing. I have, however, used "lol" when incapacitated to the point of being able to type the aforementioned expression of laughter.
the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot - LC Tusken
2005-04-30, 10:02 PM #8
LoL = Loser on-Line

Actually I don't really mind I guess. It does get annoying though at times. Especially if, somehow, it is a part of the sentence. And, if it is mixed in with a paragraph, I will refuse to continue reading. If it comes from a person who I know is smart and just has a habit of using that term, I wouldn't care much. But if it is from someone who constantly uses it to sound "hip," well, he/she sounds stupid.

Also, most of the time, "lol" is a lie. Honestly, who laughs outloud at many things on the internet?
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2005-04-30, 10:12 PM #9
I use lol all the time. rofl and lmao aren't my gig though.

It's not that big of a deal, really.
D E A T H
2005-04-30, 10:32 PM #10
LOL! ROFLMAO! This thread sucks.
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2005-04-30, 11:50 PM #11
lol sux.
[01:52] <~Nikumubeki> Because it's MBEGGAR BEGS LIKE A BEGONI.
2005-05-01, 12:00 AM #12
Saying lolz or lölz is fun sometimes.
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2005-05-01, 12:09 AM #13
Time to throw out rofl and welcome rifk
■■■■■■■■
■■■■■■■■
■■■■■■■■
■■■■■■
■■■■■■■■
■■■■■■■■
■■■■■■■■
enshu
2005-05-01, 1:23 AM #14
Quote:
Originally posted by Freelancer
LOL! ROFLMAO! This thread sucks.

LMAO! :D
Pissed Off?
2005-05-01, 1:40 AM #15
They're tolerable.
Hey, Blue? I'm loving the things you do. From the very first time, the fight you fight for will always be mine.
2005-05-01, 1:51 AM #16
Quote:
Originally posted by Echoman
Also, most of the time, "lol" is a lie. Honestly, who laughs outloud at many things on the internet?

Which is precisely why I use "heh" :p
$do || ! $do ; try
try: command not found
Ye Olde Galactic Empire Mission Editor (X-wing, TIE, XvT/BoP, XWA)
2005-05-01, 2:37 AM #17
I only use those when chatting with people who use them regularly (and used them first). With other people, I never use them. I guess my natural preference is not to use them at all, but for tactical reason I can use them, even if it's a bit rarely.
Frozen in the past by ICARUS
2005-05-01, 3:02 AM #18
Anybody ever looked at the file comments on JK2files.com? They infuirate me, bunch of adolescent apes posting over there. I bloody hate that "rock" smilie too.
Xbox Live/PlayStation Network/Steam: tone217
http://twitter.com/ourmatetone
2005-05-01, 4:00 AM #19
WHEN I VOTED I PRETENDED TO BE CONFUSED!

LOL!
2005-05-01, 4:06 AM #20
OMG!
WTF!
ha><0rz!
2005-05-01, 4:27 AM #21
I HATE lols and other such crappy acronymns, but I'm happy with a quick brb or whatever. If someone's made me laugh I'll type a 'hehe' or something.

I do occasionally bring out an ironic roflcopter though. But that's different.
2005-05-01, 7:12 AM #22
omgroflmaolol!!!!!!111oneonetwo.
Detty. Professional Expert.
Flickr Twitter
2005-05-01, 7:13 AM #23
I say LOL in real life.

[edit]
Voted confused, lol
VTEC just kicked in, yo!
2005-05-01, 8:45 AM #24
I don't mind commonplace acronyms like lol, rofl, and so on, provided they aren't overused, although I rarely use them online. Most of the time I'll type heh or hehe if I find something funny.

On the other hand, I find "lol" quite useful in real life. I say it quite often as a sarcastic reply to a stupid joke and occasionally if I find something vaguely funny, but not enough to actually laugh.
2005-05-01, 9:42 AM #25
I think its sad that you honestly care that much, its the internet, get over it.
Got a permanent feather in my cap;
Got a stretch to my stride;
a stroll to my step;
2005-05-01, 9:52 AM #26
LOLLERSKATES!
2005-05-01, 10:36 AM #27
LOL is easier to say in real life than forcing some kind of contrived laugh, so that's what I do.
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2005-05-01, 10:44 AM #28
I use rofl and lmao instead of "ahahaha" sometimes.

el oh el I never use, though.
一个大西瓜
2005-05-01, 12:05 PM #29
* The_MAZZTer was kicked by Genki (OMQWTFBBQLAWL)

thats almost the extent of my internet acronyming, but with STFU, ttyl, and brb included
Holy soap opera Batman. - FGR
DARWIN WILL PREVENT THE DOWNFALL OF OUR RACE. - Rob
Free Jin!
2005-05-01, 12:07 PM #30
Quote:
Originally posted by Darkjedibob
Yeah, I'll use brb or wtf, but using lol? Maybe once every couple of weeks. I actually have to be laughing pretty hard to use it. I just use "heh" most the time, because that's all it normally get out of me.

Exactly the same here
A Knight's Tail
Exile: A Tale of Light in Dark
The Never Ending Story²
"I consume the life essence itself!... Preferably medium rare" - Mauldis

-----@%
2005-05-01, 12:10 PM #31
Well, timewolf, they're almost as annoying as a smily face with its tongue sticking out, but you wouldn't know anything about those, would you?

:p
>>untie shoes
2005-05-01, 12:13 PM #32
Today i woke up to my breakwtfast and I had some pwncakes with roflsyrup and lmaonade. the omgbacon was really crispy and the lolommlet was perfect.
Think while it's still legal.
2005-05-01, 12:38 PM #33
My rules:
hehe = chuckle
lol = laugh, not too funny, but more than a chuckle
lmao = laughing hard
roflmao = precisely what it stands for

add in an 'f' if it's a higher degree (lofl, lmfao, roflmfao)
[exception = hefhe doesn't work, so just make it a lol]

in my experience, I can agree that lol is the most overused acronym on the face of this earth. Around here it doesn't seem to be a problem (haven't been to chat, so dunno what it's like in there), but I imagine there's plenty of places full of people who will supposedly lol at sajn's post... i'm just 'hehe'-ing.
May the mass times acceleration be with you.
2005-05-01, 6:04 PM #34
i could definently do with out them. i really hate LOL:mad: but i like roflmao:p

(for some reason i pronounce rofl like rolf, in my head)
I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
2005-05-01, 6:10 PM #35
Most of the time, I use "Hehe" and "Hahahaha" depending on how much I laugh.
And I use Lol with people who use Lol.

What's Rotflmao?
Skateboarding is not a crime.
2005-05-01, 6:16 PM #36
Quote:
Originally posted by Dominik
What's Rotflmao?

Rolling on the floor, laughing my *** off.
2005-05-01, 6:26 PM #37
I usually see that the degree of their use shows the n00biness of the user.

I don't mind when someone does it for the sake of a funny. When people laugh and post or say LOL though, they aren't usually laughing their *** off (I don't understand how your rear pelvic region can separate from the body, given the weak force of laughing).
2005-05-01, 6:32 PM #38
OMG, WTF, BRB, and the OCCASIONAL LOL don't bother me. But I generaly just produce a heh or haha, but I do sometimes use LOL. But I think it has been over-used and abused, and need to be banned from being said by one person more than once a week. everything other than those four acronyms are stupid, useless, and show how noob-ish the person is. If you have to do lol, e-mail a personal friend who doesn't mind it.
I had a blog. It sucked.
2005-05-01, 6:36 PM #39
Quote:
Originally posted by TimeWolfOfThePast
Rolling on the floor

Ok, that was what I wanted to know.
Skateboarding is not a crime.
2005-05-01, 8:09 PM #40
get an admin to censor lol like they did to "owned with a p" :p
May the mass times acceleration be with you.

↑ Up to the top!