Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Spiral may have come to a rest...
Spiral may have come to a rest...
2005-05-01, 7:39 PM #1
I am currently starting my new JK MP project called "The House in the Woods".

[http://www.sorrowind.net/laboratory/housepromo.jpg]

It is based on the farmhouse of "Ed Gein".. he was the man who inspired "Texas Chainsaw Massacre", "Psycho" and Buffalo Bill in "Silence of the Lambs".

[http://www.sorrowind.net/laboratory/houseview.jpg]

I figured this would be a good level, but this far I have gotten LITTLE to NO interest in the project.

I am already thinking of cancelling this project, becuase I don't think it would be worth it. JK is so old that no one plays it, and no one really downloads levels anymore... Haven (my most recent release) has only 400 downloads, which is the least number of downloads of any of my levels. The level isn't bad, it's just the interest isn't there.

So this thred is a poll to see what I should do.

Should I release this last level or just quietly quit editing?
||||||||||||||||||||
2005-05-01, 7:41 PM #2
Well, that's not very respectful to the dead.
twitter | flickr | last.fm | facebook |
2005-05-01, 7:44 PM #3
Keep editing, finish it up. You're the only person I know of in this city that edits JK, including me :)
Little angel go away
Come again some other day
Devil has my ear today
I'll never hear a word you say
2005-05-01, 7:45 PM #4
:(
free(jin);
tofu sucks
2005-05-01, 7:46 PM #5
Quietly quit.

For some reason the slow end of JK editing reminds me of the end of the Japanese samurai...
2005-05-01, 7:46 PM #6
Aye. JK is pretty much grounded. And the LotW is a map about freakin' cheese.

You should complete it if you are making a portfolio. Or if Massassi is making some sort of high-quality map pack or something.
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2005-05-01, 7:47 PM #7
Well I think your levels are really nice, but JK is getting old, and no one is downloading levels anymore. And since levels are made to be played by others, I would quit. It's your choice, buddy. I edit JK because I don't have the PC to run better games.
But it's your choice. Anyways, I enjoy your work. :)
Skateboarding is not a crime.
2005-05-01, 7:48 PM #8
Quote:
Originally posted by Echoman

You should complete it if you are making a portfolio.

Making a portfolio out of JK maps won't get you anywhere.
2005-05-01, 7:49 PM #9
Quote:
Originally posted by Crimson
Keep editing, finish it up. You're the only person I know of in this city that edits JK, including me :)

Me too. :D
2005-05-01, 7:50 PM #10
i never downloaded Haven because i don't MP alot, and when i do it's to test Asp's maps..
do what you wish, it looks pretty
Holy soap opera Batman. - FGR
DARWIN WILL PREVENT THE DOWNFALL OF OUR RACE. - Rob
Free Jin!
2005-05-01, 7:52 PM #11
Move on to a game that matters...

I'd love to see you perhaps, crank out a few Survival horror themed coop levels for HL2 or maybe even Far Cry...
2005-05-01, 8:03 PM #12
Hey, if people want to stop playing JK, let them miss out on your cool levels :p

I say, go for it. more fun for us.
May the mass times acceleration be with you.
2005-05-01, 8:10 PM #13
Quote:
Originally posted by Dominik
Making a portfolio out of JK maps won't get you anywhere.

Didn't Jaiph make Drazen Isle to be in his portfolio?
2005-05-01, 8:10 PM #14
I don't think anyone really edits JK anymore because we want people to download our levels and tell us were supercool. I think it's even more egotystical: I want to play in something I create. I don't know, do what you want, but don't feel like you're supposed to impress people with levels for a 6 year old game.

I don't really think you should be editing if that's what your goal is. A HL2 mod is going to either get downloads or it isn't. If it doesn't, will you not edit HL2? There's not much of a difference between JK and HL2 if that's your theory.

JediKirby
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2005-05-01, 8:11 PM #15
I guess Laboratory just wasn't macabre enough.

In conversation with Spiral, I've noticed some similar sentiments to my own. For me, editing is a hobby (sometimes an obsession) that's fuelled by a craving for that godlike power to control all aspects of the gameworld. Not all games are as intensely customizeable or well-documented as JK/MotS, and as I already know so much about this engine, I see no need in moving on and learning some new engine from scratch if it's just an aside hobby. Think of it as classic car tweaking.
Cordially,
Lord Tiberius Grismath
1473 for '1337' posts.
2005-05-01, 8:18 PM #16
Laboratory: Source?
2005-05-01, 8:19 PM #17
well if you have started on it and have gotten at least half way done and havent been overly frustrated with it.... finish it. obviously there really is no way to bring people BACK to a game... but i mean, i don't know. people may not play JK a lot but the people that still check up on things on here enjoy to see awesome shiat that amazes them and i'm sure this would be amazing. i love JK and it has a special place in my heart, lol, well really it was a great game and i really don't think any star wars game could ever be better. games these days don't really seem to care about how long they last, just how good the graphics are or try to sell a lot of copies. i could say a lot more but still, you're going to do what you want to do.
2005-05-01, 8:26 PM #18
I agree with what you are saying about it not mattering who downloads it, or for what, but if I am going to make a level for me to play it (I don't play JK that much), it don't have to be worked over so much. All the extra work seems like it's not worth it. I could make a level like "epilepsy" to have fun playing in it... and I wouldn't care if it got downloaded...
||||||||||||||||||||
2005-05-01, 9:31 PM #19
Quote:
Originally posted by Dominik
Me too. :D

Eh? You're in Orlando?
Little angel go away
Come again some other day
Devil has my ear today
I'll never hear a word you say
2005-05-01, 9:49 PM #20
This is a complicated issue (duh), and I don't think there's a right or wrong answer, not really. All I can say is that if you go ahead with this project, I'll be downloading it as soon as it's available. And whatever you do, don't quit editing altogether, that would just suck. After all, HL2 is nice...
*This post has been edited for content.
2005-05-01, 10:16 PM #21
I think you should finish it. I haven' played JK in a while, but I do get a hankering for it every so often, and though I haven't played Haven, I played Laboratory, and that was AWESOME!
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

Thou shalt not weigh more than thy refrigerator.

Eat well, stay fit, die anyway.
2005-05-01, 10:29 PM #22
Why not create the level for JO or JA. That would be ****ing sweeeeeeet.
2005-05-01, 10:35 PM #23
Drazen got Jaiph a job offer from LucasArts.. but that was in like 1999, so....
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2005-05-01, 10:44 PM #24
If you're (not necessarily Spiral, but the so-called Massassi Editing Community) moving on, why haven't you started editing RC? Wait... oh yeah. Nearly forgot the hypocrite factor.

Why haven't I started editing it? Well, not enough RAM to do some sexy multi-editor editing, the Play Level button doesn't work and I'll have to work on DX levels. That probably also makes me a hypocrite.

Anyhow, Massassi's editing community sucks.
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2005-05-02, 2:08 AM #25
Is there something about Jedi Knight editing that allows for super flexible modding?
"The only crime I'm guilty of is love [of china]"
- Ruthven
me clan me mod
2005-05-02, 2:59 AM #26
You might as well finish it, for experience if anything. Otherwise, move on and up.
Hey, Blue? I'm loving the things you do. From the very first time, the fight you fight for will always be mine.
2005-05-02, 12:32 PM #27
Make levels for yourself. What I mean is, if you enjoy it and want to, go ahead. If your only or main reason for doing it is so that you can get a high download number, you're doing it for the wrong reason.

That said, if I were you, I'd rather do something that can be enjoyed by more people than a JK level would. But on the other hand, if you enjoy editing JK more than other games, do what you enjoy.
KOP_blujay
Just dancin'...and singin'...in the Force.
2005-05-02, 2:43 PM #28
Do people actually still play JK1?

I think it's a great idea though. Make it for Half-Life 2 or Doom 3, either game could realise the full potential.
Xbox Live/PlayStation Network/Steam: tone217
http://twitter.com/ourmatetone
2005-05-02, 2:47 PM #29
Quote:
Originally posted by FastGamerr
If you're (not necessarily Spiral, but the so-called Massassi Editing Community) moving on, why haven't you started editing RC? Wait... oh yeah. Nearly forgot the hypocrite factor.

Then what site is doing RC editing now?
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2005-05-02, 3:03 PM #30
I think that would rock for a level!
I think you should finish it.
Ever see the movie Ed Gein? Weird stuff.

↑ Up to the top!