Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Arh, can't delete downloaded files
Arh, can't delete downloaded files
2005-05-02, 6:12 AM #1
Ok so cleaning up my Shared folder, I've come across some old movies that can't be deleted. Says 'This file is being used by another program" .. But I havn't touched the files in months, and most certiantly havn't opened them since the recent reboot. DC++ isn't open, so it's not an upload issue.

Anyone know what's going on?

Thanks
2005-05-02, 6:25 AM #2
A quick reboot should do the trick. Sometimes happens to me. If not, get a shredding program - they even delete password protected files.
2005-05-02, 6:26 AM #3
safe mode?
free(jin);
tofu sucks
2005-05-02, 6:31 AM #4
Hrm wanna direct me towards a shredding program? Google doesn't really help.
Yea I tried a reboot didn't work.
2005-05-02, 6:36 AM #5
suredelete should do the trick...

..I did get it off a magazine cover disc, so don't know if it's shareware or what, but google should help you from there on in

:)
2005-05-02, 6:42 AM #6
Hrm program crashes when I try to add the file. Tried other files, and it works fine with them. I'm gonna try to delete the folder, removing everything else in it. I think Iv'e done that in the past when I had this problem.
2005-05-02, 6:47 AM #7
The problem lies with the preview function of movies :) The bar on the left hand side of the window automatically loads the first frame of the movie. Whilst its doing so, you cant delete it.

Either just multiselect the ones you want to delete, or delete the folder itself, or select them and wait for the preview to finish.
"Whats that for?" "Thats the machine that goes 'ping'" PING!
Q. How many testers does it take to change a light bulb?
A. We just noticed the room was dark; we don't actually fix the problems.
MCMF forever.
2005-05-02, 6:58 AM #8
Quote:
Originally posted by FullMetal
The problem lies with the preview function of movies :) The bar on the left hand side of the window automatically loads the first frame of the movie. Whilst its doing so, you cant delete it.

Either just multiselect the ones you want to delete, or delete the folder itself, or select them and wait for the preview to finish.

No, actually, the preview window is designed so that it will give up access to the file when a deletion is requested.

What is more likely the case is that the file exceeds the 255 character maximum for file names, which just drives windows up the wall. You usually have to delete it in dos or linux, or delete the containing folder.
2005-05-02, 6:59 AM #9
Folder trick didn't work, :/
either did the multi select.
Bleh.. what the hell.
edit - not more than 255 chars either.

Hrm let's try dos deleting. Anyone want to guide me through the process?
isn't it like del " FILE LOCATION" or something simple like that?
2005-05-02, 7:09 AM #10
First end the explorer process (it likes to leave file handles open :mad:) and fire up DOS. Here are the commands you'll need:

C:, D:, E:, etc - switch to that drive letter
cd <directory> - change to that directory. ".." is for the previous (up) directory, having \ as the first character changes directory with respect to the drive root dir.
del <file> - deletes a file. You can specifiy relative or absolute paths to the file, just as with the CD command.

As for the maximum file length, it's 256 letters and it INCLUDES the names of the directories and sub directories the file resides in. However, Windows will not allow a file to be created if it breaks the 256 char limit.

2005-05-02, 12:40 PM #11
Actually I think you'll find all you have to do is right-click the file, go to Properties, them Advanced, and unclick the Archiving options and that should do the trick.
2005-05-02, 12:50 PM #12
Aha! Archiving did the trick were all else failed! Thanks.
2005-05-02, 3:18 PM #13
For those needing a shredding program: http://www.analogx.com/contents/download/system/shred.htm
And when the moment is right, I'm gonna fly a kite.
2005-05-02, 3:20 PM #14
MoveOnBoot would have fixed the problem in exactly .002 seconds.

↑ Up to the top!