Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → The aftermath of My Fair Lady
The aftermath of My Fair Lady
2005-05-02, 8:18 AM #1
This past weekend I attended my old High School's performance of My Fair Lady. This is the fifth musical the school has done since they started doing them, well, five years ago. Up to this point, the previous performances had been at the very least entertaining, however this weekends performance was quite awful IMO. First off, I'm sorry to say but for a musical to keep keep me interested, the songs have to be good. My Fair Lady's weren't. Now, thats not the fault of the performers themselves. They were another story, the two leads were average, and everyone else could not sing well, and most couldn't dance. Now, for those of you whose schools perform musicals, what are your expectations going in? I mean, the past few years at my old HS have seen some pretty good attempts. Is it wrong to have high standards for what is essentially a work performed by amateurs? Or do you think its right to expect some level of quality?
www.dailyvault.com. - As Featured in Guitar Hero II!
2005-05-02, 8:43 AM #2
Of course it's all right to be dissapointed if the show went poorly. I feel devasted when we have a poor marching band performance, and that's pretty much the same thing.

But... I like My Fair Lady's music...
2005-05-02, 8:55 AM #3
This year my former high school attempted Beauty and the Beast. overall, I was pretty excited because I happen to love that movie. I knew that the director's daughter and gotten the lead, but I still had high expectations-overall the girl can sing. Oh wow. Itw as the worst stage performance I've ever seen. The acting was horrible, and the beast... My friends and I swallowed our laughter as he tried to be intimidating.

Later I spoke to another friend who had not gone with us, and he said it wasn't bad, for high school. So I guess its all a matter of taste. For me, once you hit high school, you can either sing, or you can't. You can either act, or you can't.
"There's nothing more annoying than being distracted from our own self-obsession by others," said Tom
-Bridget Jones, The Edge of Reason
2005-05-02, 9:09 AM #4
Ours are unbelievably good. They have great singers, great sets, and great actors. And most of them are really funny, they're the only plays I can stand to watch.
2005-05-02, 9:17 AM #5
Quote:
Originally posted by Cool Matty
Ours are unbelievably good. They have great singers, great sets, and great actors. And most of them are really funny, they're the only plays I can stand to watch.

My high school had an amazing director, but she retired my sophomore year. All the plays she put on were excellent. She did The King and I when my sister was a freshman, and since they needed little kids to be in the play, I got to be in it! It was so much fun... I kind wish I had done drama in HS.
2005-05-02, 10:07 AM #6
Where the Devil are my slippers?
twitter | flickr | last.fm | facebook |
2005-05-02, 10:18 AM #7
It varies from year to year. During my freshman and sophomore years, my high school had some amazing talent in its musicals. As all those people started to graduate, however, the quality went down hill.
2005-05-02, 12:50 PM #8
It's quite alright as far as musicals go.

"With a little bit of luck" is a great song though. It's like the ultimate slacker anthem!
The Lord above gave man an arm of iron, so he could do his job and never shirk
The Lord above gave man an arm of iron but, with a little bit o' luck,
With a little bit o' luck, Someone else'll do the blinkin' work!

The Lord above made liquor for temptation, to see if man could turn away from sin.
The Lord above made liquor for temptation but, with a little bit o' luck,
With a little bit o' luck, When temptation comes, you'll give right in!..

Oh you can walk the straight and narrow, but with a little bit o' luck you'll run amuck.
The gentle sex was made for man to marry, to share his nest and see his food is cooked.
The gentle sex was made for man to marry but, with a little bit o' luck,
With a little bit o' luck, You can have it all and not get hooked!
If it breaks, you get to keep both pieces.
2005-05-02, 1:29 PM #9
I think I should note that my opinion of the song was also influenced by the "Cockney" accents that were employed, thus making some songs completely indecipherable. However, I still say the melodies weren't very good.
www.dailyvault.com. - As Featured in Guitar Hero II!
2005-05-02, 8:18 PM #10
Our Les Miserables was better than the Broadway version I saw. Of course, we have an incredible director and some great talent.
"Your entire base belongs to us."
"It would be highly appreciated if someone would set the bomb up for us"
"Launch all of our ships, christened 'Zigs', to insure that justice will be achieved swiftly and powerfully."

↑ Up to the top!