Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → "Canadian health care quality comparable to other rich countries"
"Canadian health care quality comparable to other rich countries"
2004-05-05, 6:50 PM #1
http://www.cbc.ca/stories/2004/05/04/sci-tech/compare040504

With all the rantings in several threads in the not too distant past about American health-care vs Canadian health-care, and how obviously superiour Canadian is, and how obviously greedy inferiour corrupt evil whatever American is, i found this to be rather interesting. Not to say any are perfect, but it's nice perspective i suppose.

------------------
[Blue Mink Bifocals !] [fsck -Rf /world/usr/] [<!-- kalimonster -->] [Capite Terram]
"WHEREAS, a body of men calling themselves the National Congress are now in session in Washington City, in violation of our Imperial edict of the 12th of October last, declaring the said Congress abolished;
WHEREAS, it is necessary for the repose of our Empire that the said decree should be strictly complied with;
NOW, THEREFORE, we do hereby Order and Direct Major-General Scott, the Command-in-Chief of our Armies, immediately upon receipt of this, our Decree, to proceed with a suitable force and clear the Halls of Congress." -By Order of Emperor Joshua A Norton I of the United States of America, Dei Gratia, January 1860
NPC.Interact::PressButton($'Submit');
Also, I can kill you with my brain.
2004-05-06, 12:56 AM #2
I am. Canadian.

------------------
I am a nobody, and nobody is perfect; therefore, I am perfect.

Everyday I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive.

[url="mailto:Bruintone@netscape.net"]mailto:Bruintone@netscape.net[/url]Bruintone@netscape.net</A>
Yahoo! Name : jedibruintone77
I am a nobody, and nobody is perfect; therefore, I am perfect.

Everyday I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive.

My Canada includes Beavers.
2004-05-06, 5:12 AM #3
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Per capita spending on health in Canada is 57 per cent of that in the U.S. but Canadian survival rates for colorectal cancer, childhood leukemia, kidney transplants, liver transplants and hepatitis B were higher.</font>

See, my thing is we care about each other here.
To date, no American I've ever spoken to cared enough about thier fellow citizens to have an increase in thier taxes, and an elimination of thier insurance costs, to 'help' each other with some kind of universal system.
The reason for that quote is it seems to suggest that on the whole we pay less for the proceedure yet it is available to EVERYONE. Even the guy living on the street who collapsed because he is sick.
I know, I know, American hospitals will treat you in an emergency but where does the bill go? Either to someone who can't afford it and has to go back to the hosptial due to stress related illnesses because the bills keep coming in, or the cost gets absorbed by the hospital and they just go after the government for the loss (I assume).

It will never ever make sense to me why Americans care so little about each other as to not want basic health care for your neighbours. :/

------------------
To artificial life, all reality is virtual.
HTP
babble, babble, b!tch, b!tch, rebel, rebel, party, party.
2004-05-06, 5:23 AM #4
On behalf of every church, synagogue, mosque, temple, salvation army, volunteer and every charity in this country, I want to slap you. Pouring taxpayer money into a cumbersome and inefficient state health care system is not the only way to provide it.

For all the tripe you spew about how America enforces its system on the rest of the world, you're shockingly* willing to do it yourself.

*That is not to say I am the least bit surprised.
A desperate disease requires a dangerous remedy.

A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.

art
2004-05-06, 5:36 AM #5
Sine, Sine, Sine...

You seem to always have me wrong.

I have asked in a couple of threads, what a good way to provide universal health care would be.
No answers. None.

But to repeat myself, my point is, I can't believe that America doesn't care enough about it's citizens to have a universal health care system (that in itself means taxes will be raised and that you won't need to have insurance, no matter how you go about doing it :/ ).
You see it's not a 'Our way is better.' statement, it's a 'Why do you allow your neighbours to go to Mexico to buy prescription drugs without labels or in bottles?'.

Today, just for you, I will start at least 5 threads berating Canada, it's military, politicians and it's policies.
Fell free to join in. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/smile.gif]

------------------
To artificial life, all reality is virtual.
HTP
babble, babble, b!tch, b!tch, rebel, rebel, party, party.

[This message has been edited by Darth Evad (edited May 06, 2004).]
2004-05-06, 8:17 AM #6
We can't trust the government. Or corporations, but I'd rather get in with corps. than deal with the government. Just yesterday there was a news story about this couple with 7 adopted children that starved 4 of them. The kid was caught digging through hits neighbor's trash and eating it. They thought it was a 7 year old or something, but the guy was 17! He weighed 45 pounds. And the home had been "inspected" by social services many times - they KNEW about it and did nothing.

I was in the military for 4 years. In there, we get federal government health care for "free." Unfortunately, it was the worst health care I had ever had (worse than none, in fact).

First, I had a skateboarding accident and when they were stitching me up, the guy kept ripping the stitches through my skin, so I ended up with a scar 3x the size of the original cut.

Second, their dentists told me my teeth were perfect, but then the next time I went in, they asked me why they hadn't filled the two cavities from before. WHAT? They said my mouth was perfect!

Third, I have excema. It's a skin disorder that basically means my skin doesn't have enough moisture, so it can get rashes. Esp. when I live in very dry areas (I was stationed in the Mojave desert in Southern CA). Anyway, usually it's no big thing, I use a lot of lotion and it stays gone. However, when I was there, it got really bad at one point so I went to see the doctor. He told me I had HERPES on my entire body. I told him... "Um no it's excema, it was on my original medical sheet when I joined." He insisted I had HERPES and asked me to slather this medicine all over myself, but he let me know on no uncertain terms that it would be back because you can't cure HERPES.

I had enough of this, so I asked for a second opinion. "NO" I was told. So I asked for permission to see an outside doctor on my own dime (you can't see non-military doctors w/out getting in trouble because it's against the rules of the military). "NO" I was told.

Well, I did it anyway. I paid a few hundred bucks of my own cash to see an outside skin doctor and within ONE SECOND of him seeing my skin, he said "you have excema." Duh. I just needed some medicine. Not only that, the doctor was good enough to tell me about a certain type of lotion I could use every day to keep the problems gone, and guess what? I haven't had a problem in 5 years!

Anything the US federal government puts their hands on turns to sh**. I'd sooner hand the health care system over to Microsoft than the US Government.

------------------
EvilMagic.net: Brian's Web Log
2004-05-06, 8:30 AM #7
*his big military hopes bubble bursts* damn you Brian. I know it doesn't get better in the Army.

------------------
Is Wayne Brady going to have to choke a *****?
Democracy: rule by the stupid

↑ Up to the top!