Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Not a Star Wars fan anymore
Not a Star Wars fan anymore
2005-05-03, 11:08 AM #1
This is going to be a very long-winded post and it is just my thoughts on certain things.

I don't think I'm as much of a Star Wars fan as I used to be. I don't read the books anymore, I don't watch the movies anymore(and I'm one of the people that enjoyed episode I and II!) and I don't play the games anymore. Well, there is an exception. Republic Commando. I loved that game, but that is primarily because it's a tactical shooter, not necessarily because it is Star Wars. My response to Republic Commando was the complete opposite to that of KotOR 2. I loved KotOR 1, so I thought I'd love 2 as well. But for some reason, I couldn't get more than a couple hours into the game. It just bored me and I never even got past the part where you find the horned guy with the robotic arm(forgot his name).

Despite all this though, whenever I see a trailer for Episode 3, I get that tingly feeling of excitement. Especially at the clips of Obi-wan and Anakin fighting. The thing I love about this movie so far is that everyone already knows what's going to happen, but no one knows how it's going to happen. Something is kind of awkward for me though. In the original trilogy, Vader was a badass bad guy. He was just awesome. However, Anakin/Vader in episode 3 seems to be more of an evil and sinister bad guy. You liked Vader because he was awesome and a badass. But Anakin/Vader comes off as just an *** to me so far. Anakin/Vader is the kind of bad guy you just can't root for. You could root for Vader. And I know the bad guy wins in the end of the movie, but since it's a guy I can't root for, I know I'm going to leave the movie feeling frustrated and angery that this *** won.

Anyway, I just wanted to go off on a tangent and express those things. I'm done. :)
Democracy: rule by the stupid
2005-05-03, 11:12 AM #2
No one says you have to like things that suck.

The recent games, books, movies, have all sucked, with the exeption of KOTOR, and Republic Commando. You like the things that are good, and there's nothing wrong with that.
"If you watch television news, you will know less about the world than if you just drink gin straight out of the bottle."
--Garrison Keillor
2005-05-03, 11:12 AM #3
I've never been a fan. Nor even tried spinning that fast.

And seriously, most of the time SW is just one of my interests among the many, obsessions (for SW) come and go (last time was about a year ago), that is when I install pretty much every SW game I have and play them all through. I haven't read SW books much, I watch the movies sometimes (not every weekend like in the past, but sometimes. Usually all the movies in chronological order). And yeah, RC rocked. Though it could be easily improved with the editor.

And stuff.

But didn't you make one of these threads in the past?
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2005-05-03, 11:14 AM #4
Well it's hard to really tell how anakin is in episode 3 without having seen it first. From watching the trailer, I was getting the feeling that he was finally starting to be like vader, and I could definately see the connection.
The music industry is a cruel and shallow money trench where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.
2005-05-03, 11:20 AM #5
Quote:
Originally posted by FastGamerr
But didn't you make one of these threads in the past?
No, I don't think so.

Any it's not that I dont like things that suck. It's that these things didn't used to suck to me. I just got bored with them. *shrug*

Quote:
Well it's hard to really tell how anakin is in episode 3 without having seen it first. From watching the trailer, I was getting the feeling that he was finally starting to be like vader, and I could definately see the connection.

The evil *** is the impression I got from the trailers and music video. I pray it doesn't turn out that way in the movie though. I'll be pissed if he turns into a bad guy you can't root for. -_-
Democracy: rule by the stupid
2005-05-03, 11:37 AM #6
Ah... but Sidious, that is definately a bad guy you can root for!
Xbox Live/PlayStation Network/Steam: tone217
http://twitter.com/ourmatetone
2005-05-03, 11:37 AM #7
Once you run out of things to fight for, you just become a baddass killing machine (assuming you're evil).

Now apply that to Anakin/Vader.
Detty. Professional Expert.
Flickr Twitter
2005-05-03, 6:21 PM #8
I kind of wish they cast some other dude as Anakin Skywalker.

River Phoenix looked like he was somewhere between Jake Lloyd and Sebastian Shaw. I think he could have rocked as Vader. Oh well. :(
"When it's time for this planet to die, you'll understand that you know absolutely nothing." — Bugenhagen
2005-05-03, 7:06 PM #9
Dude I haven't seen Star Wars since right after it came out on DVD. I haven't played a Star Wars game in God knows how long. But I still love Star Wars.
I can't think of anything to put here right now.
2005-05-04, 1:08 AM #10
Quote:
Originally posted by Kieran Horn
And I know the bad guy wins in the end of the movie, but since it's a guy I can't root for, I know I'm going to leave the movie feeling frustrated and angery that this *** won.

Do you really think Anakin wins in the end of this movie? I think it's more like he loses everything, leaving only an empty shell behind, and out of that emptiness rises Darth Vader. Only in the end of RotJ that emptiness is filled by his caring for his son, and Anakin is reborn.
Frozen in the past by ICARUS

↑ Up to the top!