Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Guild Wars - How is it?
Guild Wars - How is it?
2005-05-03, 11:45 AM #1
So, I played one of the Guild Wars open weekends but this was a while back (one during E3 maybe?). I was thinking about making the purchase but I thought I'd ask what everyone here that has it thinks about it. So, what do you think? Any particularly good reviews you can refer?

Thanks.
2005-05-03, 11:53 AM #2
I think it's pretty awsome. Think diablo 2 with fifty times more depth, far better graphics and better gameplay.
The music industry is a cruel and shallow money trench where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.
2005-05-03, 11:56 AM #3
But that whole level 20 level cap is a bug turn off to me. :(
2005-05-03, 12:07 PM #4
Quote:
Originally posted by Flexor
I think it's pretty awsome. Think diablo 2 with fifty times more depth, far better graphics and better gameplay.

Really?! Is it really comparable to Diablo II? Because Diablo II is easily my favorite game of all time..
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2005-05-03, 12:24 PM #5
Quote:
Originally posted by Rob
But that whole level 20 level cap is a bug turn off to me. :(

Heaven forbid the game not be a level grind like every other MMORPG out there. Even after you hit the level cap, you still continue to get skills and you can even change your secondary class later in the game from what I hear.

That being said, this game is extremely fun and I do highly recommend it. Especially if you have a group of friends to play with often. I try not to group with random people as they tend to be pretty stupid some times. I am currently a warrior/ranger at level 14 and the cooperative missions and quests just keep getting better and better. Now that I am further into the game, real items are starting to drop as well.

If you want to look me up, my in game name is Riv Iqueo.

Quote:
Originally posted by Freelancer
Really?! Is it really comparable to Diablo II? Because Diablo II is easily my favorite game of all time..

If you love Diablo 2, it will be almost impossible not to like this game. There are numerous similarities and great improvements over Diablo.

Oh yeah, this was me yesterday: https://webspace.utexas.edu/cew68/gw003.jpg
"She turned me into a newt!"
Pause
"Well I got better..."
2005-05-03, 12:31 PM #6
Quote:

This takes Diablo II over it's knee and spanks it till it bleeds.

Also, what Rivin and Flex said is just about what I'd say. Awesome game. Buy it if it's your bag....baby.
Think while it's still legal.
2005-05-03, 12:38 PM #7
If it's not as fast-paced as D2, -- forget it. If you're not consistently fighting 20+ enemies at a time with no downtime, it's not worth my time.
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2005-05-03, 1:07 PM #8
Sounds pretty sweet. How is the story of it?
2005-05-03, 1:57 PM #9
Quote:
Originally posted by Freelancer
If it's not as fast-paced as D2, -- forget it. If you're not consistently fighting 20+ enemies at a time with no downtime, it's not worth my time.

YES! This is what I want to know!
>>untie shoes
2005-05-03, 2:00 PM #10
You'll have your hands full with 1 enemy sometimes. Other times you can be surrounded by like 10 enemies at a time. For the most part the quests and co-op missions are non-stop killing. I'll make a video in fraps and post it later to day to show you what I mean.
2005-05-03, 2:40 PM #11
The fun part about Diablo 2 was how there were so many monsters everywhere. They were fairly easy to kill most of the time, but it was the sheer number which made it fun.
>>untie shoes
2005-05-03, 2:51 PM #12
Plus there is none of this "sit around for 5 minutes while your health and mana regenerates" garbage.
2005-05-03, 3:05 PM #13
How are the servers? Are they better than the WoW servers?
Marsz, marsz, Dąbrowski,
Z ziemi włoskiej do Polski,
Za twoim przewodem
Złączym się z narodem.
2005-05-03, 3:07 PM #14
It doesn't play JUST LIKE D2 at all. But it's a comparable game in that it's mostly point and click. The control and visuals are INCONCEIVABLY better.

I really love this game. I'd forgotten that fact since I only played ONE of the THREE available BWE's I had... :( But nevertheless it's AMAZING.
-=I'm the wang of this here site, and it's HUGE! So just imagine how big I am.=-
1337Yectiwan
The OSC Empire
10 of 14 -- 27 Lives On
2005-05-03, 5:02 PM #15
I'm getting the game tomorrow. I throughly enjoyed playing those beta weekends along time ago. It's currently $39.99 at Circuit City.
2005-05-03, 5:06 PM #16
Quote:
How are the servers? Are they better than the WoW servers?

The very first day the game was out the servers crashed once, since then I have never had any lag at all, no server problems, nothing.

Quote:
Plus there is none of this "sit around for 5 minutes while your health and mana regenerates" garbage.

Healing spells. Gotta love em.

Another thing I love about Guild Wars is that what level you are only matters up to a certain point. A lot of it has to do with how you play. In PvP they randomly group people together and they Arena battle. My group was average. We ended up winning 9 games in a row. It was amazing. We beat out some pretty hard groups with some high level people. Teamwork has a lot to do with it.
2005-05-03, 5:06 PM #17
I'd get the game, but I honestly couldn't see myself pouring too much time into it, regardless of free online. I enjoyed the first beta weekend...after that it was downhill, fast.

Not to mention the bloom is EFFING ANNOYING.
D E A T H
2005-05-03, 5:15 PM #18
If by downhill, fast you mean uphill, fast...and if by EFFING ANNOYING you mean EFFING SEXY than...yes.

>.>

<.<

The game now has this really cool working economy. For example the dye trader sells dyes depending on how much she has in stock, which depends on how many people sell to her. Black Dye just went from 800G to 1,150 in one day! Insane! The other dyes usually go from around 140 - 220 G...it's like gas prices I tell ya :p It's really cool having an economy instead of everything just being a set price. Although some things are at set prices, others go up and down more than Monica Lewi....nevermind.
2005-05-03, 5:21 PM #19
Installing as we speak.
2005-05-03, 5:30 PM #20
There's no fee for this right? Or am I crazy.
2005-05-03, 5:35 PM #21
Well you still ARE crazy, but your right about there being no fees. ;)
2005-05-03, 5:43 PM #22
Yea, I know, ok bad example there...
But yea, no fee, sweet, I might have to pick this up..
2005-05-03, 5:48 PM #23
I'll get it next time I've got 50 to burn and I'm at the store, considering there are FEW games I'm even vaguely interested in these days. I have to agree with Yoshi though; I can't see myself spending an insane amount of time on it. I loved to hate diablo2, so eh. I still can't get over the lack of hit detection and other FPS-style physics that'd add to the realistic visuals. I don't understand why RPGs still depend on repetative animations that look stiff and hardly entertaining. Give me jade-empire animations and controls with an MMO background and you've given me a game I can appreciate visually. It's a shame when the graphics are this good, but the animations are horribly unbelievable.

Oh, and why... WHY does every RPG have to have a stupid dance animations? WHY!? Make square dancing animations, or folk-style dancing. I just can't roleplay in a universe where 'dancing' encompases rigid disco moves and the jitterbug.

JediKirby
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2005-05-03, 6:22 PM #24
The female monk dance animation is amazing
The music industry is a cruel and shallow money trench where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.
2005-05-03, 6:33 PM #25
Quote:
Originally posted by SAJN_Master
Healing spells. Gotta love em.

Ugh, one of *those*. The great thing about D2 was that characters didn't need to sacrifice their killing power so they could heal others and themselves. Potions were more than good enough for that purpose.
2005-05-03, 7:31 PM #26
I just picked up my reserved copy today (forgot about it) and am enjoying it so far. I don't like it as much as I like WoW, but it's something to do with all of those cheap friends that you may have that won't pay to play.
2005-05-04, 8:24 AM #27
I am neglecting to see what is so terrible about healing spells, but from the bias you have laid forth I am beginning you think you are not going to like this game Freelancer. Ah well, your loss.

The great thing about this game is it's focus on teamplay and not just running blindly into combat. I guess that is the greatest difference between this game and Diablo 2. Last night I was doing one of the cooperative missions with a random group (ugh) and we ended up dying on the first mob of monsters and kept dying left and right after that so I left that group and got lucky enough to get invited to a group with a guy that was a strategic genious. Not a single person died the entire mission...and Kryta can be a *****.

I'm level 15 now and I got a pretty badass rare (orange) sword last night. 15-22 damage and it lengthens bleeding on foes which is awesome since I use sever artery and gash and my main offensive skills currently. It also has something like +15% damage while hexed. It was a big improvement over the 7-10 damage sword I has been using.

I'm in Lion's Arch now and I haven't done any of the quests, so if anyone is over there and wants to team up, feel free to send me a whisper in game. Course I won't be on until around 7PM CST since I have a final at 5PM.
"She turned me into a newt!"
Pause
"Well I got better..."
2005-05-04, 8:52 AM #28
My first character was a ranger, which is now at level 7. It's progressing slowly because I'm playing this character with a friend who's not on all the time. Which is why I've created another character to play alone, which is now a level 8 monk. I'm somewhere in the ruins of ascalon and I have no idea what's going on. I just finished the second mission and did the fugitives quest.

↑ Up to the top!