Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → 10ft high concrete snowman
10ft high concrete snowman
2005-05-04, 9:21 AM #1
my uni in all its wisdom decided to commission a 'sculpture' to be made...

funny thing is with all the money the designer was paid the best they could come up with is this...[the black X's shouldn't be there]

[http://clubs.qmsu.org/boatclub/temp/snowman3.jpg]

what was even less clever was to place this new piece of 'art' next to first year halls...

needless to say this was the result...

[http://clubs.qmsu.org/boatclub/temp/snowman2.jpg]

brought a smile to my face at least...

comment/post any pictures of other buildings/sculptures that have been changed for the better..
People of our generation should not be subjected to mornings.

Rbots
2005-05-04, 9:31 AM #2
That's rich...
2005-05-04, 9:41 AM #3
What no genitalia..? ;)
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
2005-05-04, 10:06 AM #4
When I see those big randomly twisted pieces of steel I beams that the cities buy, I don't know weather smack the every member of the city council or start making them my self.
2005-05-04, 11:07 AM #5
How can it be a snowman if it's made from concrete?!

OMG! :eek:
Catloaf, meet mouseloaf.
My music
2005-05-04, 11:09 AM #6
Looks better now. It actually looks like a snowman instead of two concrete balls.
Little angel go away
Come again some other day
Devil has my ear today
I'll never hear a word you say
2005-05-04, 11:11 AM #7
when i was at bowling green, they erected a giant grenade made out of chickenwire and empty soda cans. i think they may have gone over it with concrete or something but i dont really know.
My girlfriend paid a lot of money for that tv; I want to watch ALL OF IT. - JM
2005-05-04, 11:31 AM #8
ahah the traffic cone is classic.
/fluffle
2005-05-04, 12:12 PM #9
You know, if it's concrete, it's not a snowman.
nope.
2005-05-04, 12:15 PM #10
Quote:
Originally posted by Boco
You know, if it's concrete, it's not a snowman.
I already brought that up.
Catloaf, meet mouseloaf.
My music
2005-05-04, 12:22 PM #11
Quote:
Originally posted by DogSRoOL
I already brought that up.

Well sorry mister I don't ever skim over the odd thread, but read every post. Bleh!
nope.
2005-05-04, 1:03 PM #12
Well, that's what you get. :p
Catloaf, meet mouseloaf.
My music
2005-05-04, 1:37 PM #13
So, it's a concreteman then.
Have they kept the additions or was it 'cleaned'?
2005-05-04, 2:17 PM #14
it has been returned to its rather boring former self seen in the first shot, but the black X's still remain as I think they were too lazy to go get a ladder and peel them off...

doubt it'll be too long before it acquires a traffic cone again...

Rbots
2005-05-04, 3:29 PM #15
Washington University in St. Louis has a pretty cool rabbit sculpture.
2005-05-04, 4:19 PM #16
Wouldn't the thing be called a concreteman?
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2005-05-04, 4:30 PM #17
How much was the designer paid and how much did it cost to make?
"When it's time for this planet to die, you'll understand that you know absolutely nothing." — Bugenhagen
2005-05-04, 5:03 PM #18
i want to knock it over:mad:
I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
2005-05-04, 7:03 PM #19
Youd probably crush yourself if you tried. :p
Catloaf, meet mouseloaf.
My music
2005-05-04, 7:38 PM #20
I wouldn't. I'm invincible.
America, home of the free gift with purchase.
2005-05-04, 7:45 PM #21
Some big twisted pieces of metal are actually sexy. The Jay Pritzker pavilion in Chicago's Millenium Park is hot hot hot.

[http://www.chicagotraveler.com/millennium-photos/P1010273.jpg]

That's not just B.S. It's the type of thing of questionable aeshtetic value that prompts many people to say "I could do that" or "I could do better", but in reality they can't, because the process behind the finished work is totally foreign to them.

However, that snowman is stupid. It is two spheres. It has no visually appealing aspects, no principles of design, no rapport with its surroundings. Lame.

Still! Lots of modern sculpture tends to be viewed as stupid if not ugly... maybe it's because I'm a self-proclaimed artist who <3s modern architecture, but some of that stuff is tight like a tiger, y'kn'mean?
2005-05-04, 7:47 PM #22
And the Guggenheim in Spain is also a structure that I find very appealing. Frank Lloyd Wright's one in NY doesn't do as much for me, but that's more because of its symmetry and.... mmm... something.
2005-05-05, 1:50 AM #23
Primal Insanity :p

A decent snowman. Like the nose.
'Its worth it all in the end when We Are On The Other Side Of The Moon and thats good enoguh for me"
2005-05-05, 6:34 AM #24
i'm not sure how much the snowman cost, but they also made some little raised "grass beds" and some funky coloured floor design which people are saying came to just under £1 million.... ~ $1.7 million...total waste if you ask me...

anyway, another day another new concreteman....

this time it looks like he caught the flu or something overnight...

[http://clubs.qmsu.org/boatclub/temp/snowman4.jpg]

Rbots

↑ Up to the top!