Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → If you had a major paper assignment...
If you had a major paper assignment...
2005-05-04, 12:57 PM #1
...(that was 4-6 pages or whatever long) on some uninteresting subject that is due in one week, what day and time would you honestly start to complete it?

For me, it's around 9:00 on the last day. And I had a recent experience. I hope to do important paper assignments earlier, but, at the end, it is always the same. :(

Anyone else choose to do papers shamefully at the last minute?
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2005-05-04, 12:59 PM #2
Pretty much. Though assignment of 7000 pages doesn't really sound fun as a last minute job.
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2005-05-04, 12:59 PM #3
If it's uninteresting I usually wait until the night before. If it's something I like I'll go all out on the report. Luckily for me, I like most the subjects I have to write about!
"Ford, you're turning into a penguin. Stop it."
2005-05-04, 1:02 PM #4
I used to do them mostly last-minute, then I just stopped doing them altogether.
Catloaf, meet mouseloaf.
My music
2005-05-04, 2:34 PM #5
Start on the day it was assigned and work on it a bit at a time over the next week.
the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot - LC Tusken
2005-05-04, 2:35 PM #6
i'd start it a few days before... do maybe one page then get bored and do the rest at the last minute :p
TheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWho
SaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTh
eJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSa
ysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJ
k
WhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSays
N
iTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkW
2005-05-04, 2:37 PM #7
I'd start it and finish it the day before.
nope.
2005-05-04, 2:38 PM #8
Beat up a nerd, and make HIM do it.
2005-05-04, 2:39 PM #9
I'll do it the last day, maybe the day before, but definately not "shamefully".
$do || ! $do ; try
try: command not found
Ye Olde Galactic Empire Mission Editor (X-wing, TIE, XvT/BoP, XWA)
2005-05-04, 2:40 PM #10
I do it the night before, usually staying up until wee hours of the morning to do so.
Marsz, marsz, Dąbrowski,
Z ziemi włoskiej do Polski,
Za twoim przewodem
Złączym się z narodem.
2005-05-04, 2:41 PM #11
2, maybe 1 day before. I did my Manhattan Project MLA paper in 1 and a half hours the day before it was due, 5 pages. Meh.
D E A T H
2005-05-04, 2:52 PM #12
I recently had to create a "book" over a president for an American Government class. I started on it at about 2:30 p.m. after I got off work, and ended up finishing around 8. Ended up with about five pages. And the funny part is that I ended up with a higher grade than most people that actually spent time on the project.
2005-05-04, 2:53 PM #13
Two weeks after the day I was supposed to hand it in, usually.
VTEC just kicked in, yo!
2005-05-04, 3:41 PM #14
I'm just glad of being in IB and taking creative writing courses, papers aren't really a big deal anymore. I can usually write a 5 page essay on a novel the night before it's due with no real huge issues most of the time.

Have my first IB World Lit paper due Friday, starting it tonight :-(. If I get it done tonight, I can Cinco De Mayo all tomarrow.
2005-05-04, 3:41 PM #15
Quote:
Originally posted by Boco
I'd start it and finish it the day before.

Ditto.
2005-05-04, 3:49 PM #16
Going all out, I can write a 2,000 word essay in a couple of hours.

I usually give it the day before the deadline though.
Detty. Professional Expert.
Flickr Twitter
2005-05-04, 7:48 PM #17
Exactly my predicament now. I was assigned a project in which we are to find 15 articles from Independent media sources, summarize them, and relate them to sociology in some way, from what we have learned thus far in the semester. This project is due on Friday, I have yet to start it.
"Honey, you got real ugly."
2005-05-04, 8:02 PM #18
4-6 pages? Big? I could pull that off starting the night before it's due and get a good grade on it. Hell, I've pulled off 20 page research papers from scratch (this means I had to research too) 48 hours before it was due and still managed a passing grade.
Pissed Off?
2005-05-04, 8:06 PM #19
This thread makes me glad for my classes this semester. I didn't have to write a single paper. Yay.
2005-05-04, 8:08 PM #20
Quote:
Originally posted by Simbachu
Two weeks after the day I was supposed to hand it in, usually.
<Lyme> I got Fight Club for 6.98 at walmart.
<Black_Bishop> I am Jack's low price guarantee
2005-05-04, 9:28 PM #21
Night before, all the time.

I wrote my 10 page Civ II research paper the night before.

When I don't have a fear of an approaching due date, I write worse, cuz I don't feel motivated or pressured to write. Whereas if I do it at the last second, I am much more motivated to write the thing in one long sitting and at least try to continue one single thought process, instead of writing bits and pieces each day that have no relevance to each other.
"His Will Was Set, And Only Death Would Break It"

"None knows what the new day shall bring him"
2005-05-04, 10:06 PM #22
Usually the morning of.
[This message has been edited. Deal with it.]
2005-05-04, 10:24 PM #23
I do all my work last minute...I need that frantic rush motivation or I just won't do it. Well, it doesn't seem to work out too bad. One time in English 11 we had a big project out of 50 that the teacher gave us like 2 weeks to work on. I didn't even do any work during those 2 weeks, and decided to do it all the weekend before the due date (a monday). Well, I forgot completely about it until I was lying in bed at 12 am on Sunday night. I got up, worked on it until 2 am, finished it up the next day during lunch.

I got 50 out of 50.
2005-05-04, 10:35 PM #24
Sometimes I will start it early, like set aside some time, sit down and start writing, but then when I do that, I have it in the back of my mind "I have a lot of time to do this still, and no good ideas are coming to me right now... and right behind this blank Word document window are about 12 desktop shortcuts to video games that are way more fun than this writing crap." and so I waste the time on games until either the 2nd to last, or the last day before its due when the ideas tend to just start flowing.
"Guns don't kill people, I kill people."
2005-05-04, 11:33 PM #25
Do it a day late and make up a really good excuse.
2005-05-05, 5:19 AM #26
THis is about what I'm doing right now.
I wrote a paragraph or two of my English paper yesterday, and now I'm about to finish it one day before.
Ban Jin!
Nobody really needs work when you have awesome. - xhuxus
2005-05-05, 6:17 AM #27
I have to write a 6 page paper and I have a week to do it... I'm going to do it on Sunday. (Ha. That's the day before it's due. Go figure.)
2005-05-05, 10:36 AM #28
Quote:
Originally posted by DogSRoOL
I used to do them mostly last-minute, then I just stopped doing them altogether.

Doesn't that hurt your grade?
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2005-05-05, 10:36 PM #29
If it's due early in the week, I'll generally start the weekend before I have to turn it in. Otherwise, usually three days before the deadline.
If you think the waiters are rude, you should see the manager.
2005-05-05, 10:42 PM #30
Let's see, it depends. If it's a piddly 3-4 page paper than definitely the afternoon/night before. If it's a major research paper, then I will start about a week in advance, and slowly progress towards the finished product. I know procrastination is supposedaly awful, but to be honest I think I do my best work when the pressure is on. At this point, I am used to it, and my grades have not given me any indication that I should change my habits.
www.dailyvault.com. - As Featured in Guitar Hero II!
2005-05-06, 12:27 AM #31
Wrote my 7 page Ethics paper today. Over animal rights. I spent about 3 hours on it earlier tonight, then played poker, then finished up in the last half hour.
Marsz, marsz, Dąbrowski,
Z ziemi włoskiej do Polski,
Za twoim przewodem
Złączym się z narodem.
2005-05-06, 5:38 PM #32
I'm exactly like that, always telling myself, I have to start this as soon as it is assigned, but I always wait, and even on the day before I wait until it's like 8 p.m.
"When it's time for this planet to die, you'll understand that you know absolutely nothing." — Bugenhagen
2005-05-06, 5:56 PM #33
Night before??? Pffft, i do it the morning of that day.
"The only crime I'm guilty of is love [of china]"
- Ruthven
me clan me mod
2005-05-06, 6:07 PM #34
I've got a rather hefty program (a few hours worth of work) for C++ that I have to get done by monday.

I've barely started it, and don't plan to code it until sunday.
D E A T H
2005-05-06, 7:22 PM #35
I have a 7+ page paper due on sunday at midnight that I'm planning on starting tomorrow.
Steal my dreams and sell them back to me.....

↑ Up to the top!