Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → google web accelerator
google web accelerator
2005-05-04, 5:51 PM #1
http://webaccelerator.google.com/

Anyone tried it out? People on the SA forums say it seems to work pretty well. Its compatable with both IE and FireFox too. Looks like it works mainly by accessing googles cache where applicable, and only loading webpages if they've been updated since the cache was stored.
2005-05-04, 5:56 PM #2
Google's gone eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeevil!

First they track your searches, then your image habits (images.google), then your news habits (news.google), then your email (gmail), then your buying habits (froogle), then your traveling habits (maps), and now you browsing habits...

Google has got to have the largest, most detailed demographics database of any company on the planet.
I beat the internet. The last guy was hard.
2005-05-04, 5:58 PM #3
Wait...juz is back?

:o

Seems to be working though, I guess.
D E A T H
2005-05-04, 5:59 PM #4
Quote:
Originally posted by ******
Google's gone eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeevil!

First they track your searches, then your image habits (images.google), then your news habits (news.google), then your email (gmail), then your buying habits (froogle), then your traveling habits (maps), and now you browsing habits...

Google has got to have the largest, most detailed demographics database of any company on the planet.

They probably already have the ability to track your browsing habits through googles toolbar.
2005-05-04, 6:00 PM #5
****** speaks truth!
Holy soap opera Batman. - FGR
DARWIN WILL PREVENT THE DOWNFALL OF OUR RACE. - Rob
Free Jin!
2005-05-04, 6:04 PM #6
It says it saved me 14.0 seconds so far...but it's kind of the same if not a little slower.
Think while it's still legal.
2005-05-04, 6:04 PM #7
The unnamed returns.
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.

Lassev: I guess there was something captivating in savagery, because I liked it.
2005-05-04, 6:08 PM #8
hm. the forums load a TINY bit faster for me... like... .2 seconds.
[01:52] <~Nikumubeki> Because it's MBEGGAR BEGS LIKE A BEGONI.
2005-05-04, 6:12 PM #9
Quote:
Originally posted by DSettahr
They probably already have the ability to track your browsing habits through googles toolbar.

IIRC they say that in their EULA. But you can prevent that by disabling their google-score system.
Sorry for the lousy German
2005-05-04, 6:14 PM #10
Who cares if they do though? It's not like it's GAIN or anything... We're talking about Google here.
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.

Lassev: I guess there was something captivating in savagery, because I liked it.
2005-05-04, 6:19 PM #11
Quote:
Originally posted by Sarn_Cadrill
Who cares if they do though? It's not like it's GAIN or anything... We're talking about Google here.

Thats exactly what they want you to think!
"Flowers and a landscape were the only attractions here. And so, as there was no good reason for coming, nobody came."
2005-05-04, 6:28 PM #12
Well, if I was planning to take over the world, the route Google is taking would make the shortlist.
Detty. Professional Expert.
Flickr Twitter
2005-05-04, 6:37 PM #13
Pfft, its probably just a win32 port of Squid... ;)
And when the moment is right, I'm gonna fly a kite.
2005-05-04, 6:38 PM #14
Quote:
Originally posted by gbk
Pfft, its probably just a win32 port of Squid... ;)

linux linux lolz
</sarcasm>
<Anovis> mmmm I wanna lick your wet, Mentis.
2005-05-04, 6:59 PM #15
I disabled it. It wasnt refreshing pages (from forums specifically) that I knew were updated. I know you can tell it to ignore certain sites, but my connection here at RIT is so fast anyways I dont really have any need for an accelerator. :p
2005-05-04, 7:23 PM #16
I just uninstalled it after about two hours of surfing. It really only seems to help on sites you've been to before, as I was going through some old bookmarks and it didn't help on any of those. After the two hours of surfing, it only helped like 15 something seconds.
<Lyme> I got Fight Club for 6.98 at walmart.
<Black_Bishop> I am Jack's low price guarantee
2005-05-04, 7:34 PM #17
I might give it a shot. If you have firefox though, this might be a better option.

Hey, hey hey, ******, you're back! Got to missing your soul? :D
2005-05-04, 7:48 PM #18
Thou shalt not evade the swear filter!
Marsz, marsz, Dąbrowski,
Z ziemi włoskiej do Polski,
Za twoim przewodem
Złączym się z narodem.
2005-05-04, 8:50 PM #19
Oops switched the t and the y. Fixed now. Gotta remember the kids. ;)
2005-05-04, 10:16 PM #20
Quote:
Originally posted by Obi_Kwiet
I might give it a shot. If you have firefox though, this might be a better option.

That accelerator works differently though, by transfering more data in a less amount of time, using up more bandwidth at once but for a shorter period of time. The google accelerator works by decreasing the overall amount of bandwidth used to load each page.

↑ Up to the top!