Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → The mark of the beast
The mark of the beast
2005-05-06, 8:17 AM #1
http://www.bravewords.com/news.html?id=27301

It's a site mainly for news of metal bands, but this was interesting and I hadn't heard it elsewhere (and it's not music news).

Discusses how the mark of the beast is not 666, but 616 - as translated in Greek based on a bible from the third century. Who knows if it's correct, but if so - many songs and movies are now invalid. :(

Discuss
2005-05-06, 8:22 AM #2
The true mark is 867-5309
2005-05-06, 8:31 AM #3
There are a lot of similar mis-translations from the bible's original greek and hebrew passages. For example, the word "kill" in the commandment "Thou shall not kill" was supposedly mis-translated from a greek word that more appropriately means "murder." "Thou shall not murder" certainly has a different meaning and different implications than "thou shall not kill."

Good examples of why the Bible should not be taken at face value, even if you're a very religious christian.
2005-05-06, 9:42 AM #4
Quote:
Originally posted by DSettahr
For example, the word "kill" in the commandment "Thou shall not kill" was supposedly mis-translated from a greek word that more appropriately means "murder."
Actually, it's Hebrew in the Old Testament. But other than that, you're right.
Catloaf, meet mouseloaf.
My music
2005-05-06, 10:04 AM #5
Actually, it's Hebrew and Aramaic in the Old Testament. But mistakes are destined to occur in such a massive volume, especially due to the piecemeal nature it was translated into. But that doesn't matter if you believe in the divine origin of the text.
:master::master::master:
2005-05-06, 1:00 PM #6
I forgot to also mention, in the New Testament, Jesus never uses the word "kill" when he references this commandment. He always says "murder," because apparently, for whatever reason, the word for "murder" here was translated correctly. More proof that there's sketchy things going on in modern day Bible Translations.
2005-05-06, 1:18 PM #7
Quote:
Good examples of why the Bible should not be taken at face value, even if you're a very religious christian.

Or as my pastor would say, go to the Greek. Fortunately there aren't many things like that.
2005-05-06, 1:20 PM #8
Quote:
Originally posted by Obi_Kwiet
Or as my pastor would say, go to the Greek. Fortunately there aren't many things like that.

My pastor says the same thing.
■■■■■■■■
■■■■■■■■
■■■■■■■■
■■■■■■
■■■■■■■■
■■■■■■■■
■■■■■■■■
enshu
2005-05-06, 1:44 PM #9
Just to expand a little on the subject, this whole "616" thing has been around for a long time. Some manuscripts read "666", others read "616". What's happened here is that they've discovered a really old manuscript which reads "616", thus strengthening the case for "616" being the original number and "666" the corruption, rather than the other way around.

As far as "kill" goes, the word used in the Ten Commandments is ratsach, which means "to dash in pieces", ie, to kill in the manner of a predatory animal.

A quick search of a concordance revealed five other words translated "kill" (just to compare them). Nakah means "to strike", and harag means "to strike with deadly intent." Shachat means "to slaughter" or "to butcher", ie, to slaughter an animal for food, and tabach means pretty much the same. Lastly, muwth simply means "to die", or "to cause to die".

So while nakah, harag, and muwth could be used to describe murder, they could also be used to describe other kinds of killing (like self-defence, etc). Ratsach, on the other hand, pretty clearly refers to a savage killing of a helpless victim.

Ah, language. A never-ending source of fascination. :)
So sayest the Writer of Silly Things!
2005-05-06, 1:52 PM #10
I love Hannibal of Carthage.

I never really liked the number 666. Also, what does it mean in Hebrew? That is to say, where they use letters for numbers, what letters correspond with the numbers and do they have some meaning?
"When it's time for this planet to die, you'll understand that you know absolutely nothing." — Bugenhagen
2005-05-06, 2:06 PM #11
They don't mean anything in that way. It's just Satan's number. (Six hundred, threescore, and six) I dunno... like his bank account number?

(And that's greek, too.)
Catloaf, meet mouseloaf.
My music
2005-05-06, 2:09 PM #12
Quote:
I forgot to also mention, in the New Testament, Jesus never uses the word "kill" when he references this commandment. He always says "murder," because apparently, for whatever reason, the word for "murder" here was translated correctly. More proof that there's sketchy things going on in modern day Bible Translations.
Perhaps Aramic is easier to translate than Hebrew is. Hebrew is one of the more difficult languages out there, especially considering it has no vowels.
Quote:
Originally posted by Tenshu
My pastor says the same thing.
You talk to yourself?
Catloaf, meet mouseloaf.
My music
2005-05-06, 2:10 PM #13
Quote:
Originally posted by DogSRoOL
They don't mean anything in that way. It's just Satan's number. (Six hundred, threescore, and six) I dunno... like his bank account number?

(And that's greek, too.)

Isn't it just

7 - holy number
6 - holy number minus one, symbolizing corrupted holiness (fallen angel?)
3 times 7 - holy trinity
3 times 6 - corrupted trinity, evil
■■■■■■■■
■■■■■■■■
■■■■■■■■
■■■■■■
■■■■■■■■
■■■■■■■■
■■■■■■■■
enshu
2005-05-06, 2:17 PM #14
7 represents ressurrection, spiritual completeness, and/or God's perfection.
6 represents man's weakness, manifestation of sin, and/or evils of Satan.
3 represents divine completeness and/or perfection

If they're meant to be combined on these definitions, then you could say that 666 means "perfect evil." But it would seem instead to represent the Antichrist exclusively, and thus 777 represents Christ. Or if your in Vegas, a jackpot.
Catloaf, meet mouseloaf.
My music
2005-05-06, 9:35 PM #15
Isn't God's name is jealous. Or something like that. Wasn' t that caught in some translation problems too?
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2005-05-07, 12:35 AM #16
But the Slipknot song, Heretic's Anthem wouldn't make any sense, if your 555 than I'm 616..??
"Nulla tenaci invia est via"
2005-05-07, 12:41 AM #17
Quote:
Originally posted by DogSRoOL
Perhaps Aramic is easier to translate than Hebrew is. Hebrew is one of the more difficult languages out there, especially considering it has no vowels.

It does have vowels, they just aren't printed. Aramaic has the same thing, since it would use the same script.
:master::master::master:

↑ Up to the top!