Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Sinus pressure... MAKE IT STOP!
Sinus pressure... MAKE IT STOP!
2004-05-01, 11:09 AM #1
I've been in annoying pain all day from sinus pressure. It hurts clear dowwn to my cheek bones by now, which is something I've not experienced before. Does anyone know of a way to make it stop or ease up? (Like pressure points or something.)

------------------
Genesis 22:2-5 - And God said unto Abraham "You must kill your son, Isaac." And Abraham said "What? I can't hear you! You'll have to speak into the microphone." And God said "Check, check, check, check. Jerry, can you pull the high end out. I'm getting some hiss up here."
Valuable Life Lesson: Frog + Potato Gun = Blindness

Catalog of Electronic Components - Complete IC data sheets
National Electrical Code® (NEC®) Online - Legal requirements for wiring projects.
Catloaf, meet mouseloaf.
My music
2004-05-01, 12:42 PM #2
I know how you feel, I get it all above my eyes so it feels like they're inflating, and, regrettably, there's nothing you can do to say 'squeeze out' the pressure - best you can do (gross though it may sound) is plug up one nostril and blow like there's no tomorrow with the other, and then swap - it provides temporary relief. If you're looking for a more long term thing, a bowl of boiling water (i.e. plenty of steam) can help as can crystals or those droplets you can put on your bedding (like Karvol or Vicks) and of course the gel and the strips... lol. But to be honest it's unfortunate in that there's no way to make it go away - I know how you feel though [http://forums.massassi.net/html/smile.gif]

------------------
We are all dying to live, yet living to die...
A slightly more stripy Gee_4ce, and more than just Something British...

Visit the home of Corporal G on the Internets
2004-05-01, 2:45 PM #3
I took a hot, steamy shower. The moisture helped a quite a bit, but not completely.

------------------
Genesis 22:2-5 - And God said unto Abraham "You must kill your son, Isaac." And Abraham said "What? I can't hear you! You'll have to speak into the microphone." And God said "Check, check, check, check. Jerry, can you pull the high end out. I'm getting some hiss up here."

National Electrical Code® (NEC®) Online - Legal requirements for wiring projects.
Catloaf, meet mouseloaf.
My music
2004-05-01, 3:06 PM #4
Take a swiff of dried crushed red pepper, the stuff they stick on pizza. It'll have you sneezing like no tomorrow, and you'll be clear in no time [http://forums.massassi.net/html/biggrin.gif]

------------------
"The future is not determined by a throw of the dice, but is determined by the conscious decisions of you and me."
I am addicted to ellipses!!! AHHH!!! ...
Make Sorrowind Worthwhile... join it! http://sorrowind.net
2004-05-01, 5:01 PM #5
Drill a hole in your head.

------------------
<Outlaw_Torn> you mean your related to that damned sasquatch, Mech?
<MechWarrior> Lets just say the part of the family tree that does fork has bossy the goat in it.

<ubuu> does hitler have a last name?
2004-05-01, 5:36 PM #6
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Cool Matty:
Take a swiff of dried crushed red pepper, the stuff they stick on pizza. It'll have you sneezing like no tomorrow, and you'll be clear in no time [http://forums.massassi.net/html/biggrin.gif]

</font>

Spicy food does work for me most of the time. Try eating something cajun or something.

------------------
Steal my dreams and sell them back to me.....
Steal my dreams and sell them back to me.....
2004-05-01, 5:40 PM #7
Snort some Wasabi.

------------------
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
2004-05-01, 6:32 PM #8
Yeah, the spicy food remedy usually works wonders for me too. Your nose will be runny for a while afterwards, but at least you'll be able to breath through it.

------------------
And everything under the sun is in tune, but the sun is eclipsed by the moon...
DSettahr's Homepage | Cantina Cloud
2004-05-01, 7:20 PM #9
Drink alot of fluids and try doing a physical activity to get adrenaline flowing. Adrenaline will help constrict the vessels in your sinuses.

------------------
Roach - Caught in the war of hemispheres.
0 of 14.
omnia mea mecum porto
2004-05-01, 8:13 PM #10
Take a teaspoon or so of water and put it in a warm (about 98F, body temperature) glass of water. Then "inhale" or suck it up through your nose, but do not inhale it into your lungs. Please don't kill yourself trying to do this. It invades your sinuses and cleans them out, in my experience (i get sinus infections and the resulting HORRIBLE HEADACHES all the time), and you use salt water because you want it to resemble the fluid in your body OTHERWISE IT WILL HURT.

The feeling is very weird, like when you get alot of water in your nose after going in a pool or falling while water skiing. But then it clears out and is nice, JUST DONT INHALE TOO FAR.

Other than that, try some nasal decongestant stuff... go to a doctor and ask or just browse around the stuff you can buy off the shelf at a supermarket. Alot of them even carry "saline nasal spray".

------------------
Ω of 14
New! Fun removed by Vinny :[
2004-05-01, 9:33 PM #11
Ever try a nasal decongestant?

------------------
I'm not an actor. I just play one on TV.
Pissed Off?
2004-05-02, 1:12 AM #12
oS's idea might work as well. 1/4 teaspoon in 8 ounces of water should be about the same ratio as saline.

------------------
Roach - Caught in the war of hemispheres.
0 of 14.
omnia mea mecum porto
2004-05-02, 3:09 AM #13
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by MechWarrior:

</font>

As ludicrous as this sounds, with my allergies I have actually considered it before. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]

------------------
Do you have stairs in your house?
Do you have stairs in your house?
2004-05-02, 4:01 AM #14
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by oSiRiS:
Take a teaspoon or so of water and put it in a warm (about 98F, body temperature) glass of water.</font>

Um, do you mean a teaspoon of salt in water? otherwise that doesn't make sence to me.

------------------
"No good can ever come from staying with normal people"
-Outlaw Star
"Some people play tennis. I erode the human soul"
-Tycho, Penny Arcade
"I'm a Cannabal-Vegitarian. I will BBQ an employee if there is no veggie option"
-DX:IW
A Knight's Tail
Exile: A Tale of Light in Dark
Scions of Light[/i]
The Never Ending Story Squared[/i]
A Knight's Tail
Exile: A Tale of Light in Dark
The Never Ending Story²
"I consume the life essence itself!... Preferably medium rare" - Mauldis

-----@%
2004-05-02, 5:22 AM #15
Quote:

</font>

I once was pondering performing self-accupuncture.

I decided against it.. though it probably would have helped.

------------------
[19:59] Happy "Liar liar" dud: This is arguably one of the lowest points in my life.
[20:00] Happy "Liar liar" dud: I'm sitting here infront of my two computers wearing shorts and with no shirt, eating potato salad and orange juice, debating the existance of pants.
My Parkour blog
My Twitter. Follow me!
2004-05-02, 10:22 AM #16
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Spork:
Snort some Wasabi.

</font>

Someone's been watching Jackass... [http://forums.massassi.net/html/biggrin.gif]

------------------
We are all dying to live, yet living to die...
A slightly more stripy Gee_4ce, and more than just Something British...

Visit the home of Corporal G on the Internets
2004-05-02, 2:48 PM #17
Quote:
Drill a hole in your head.</font>
Aah.

So now, how do I stop the bleeding?

------------------

Catloaf, meet mouseloaf.
My music
2004-05-02, 6:56 PM #18
Sinus pressure (I think) is always the cause of my headaches.

And if you inhale crushed red pepper up your nose, it BURNS LIKE HECK!
I once sneezed while eating rice (which I always put hot sauce on), so I had a spicy rice grain in my nose and for a good 10-15 minutes I tried to blow it out.
And never sneeze when drinking soda.

------------------
Bond, Power, CA, The Force, Saber, IC, Epic, Oily Mexican Food, BG, /\ |> /\ /\/\, Sentences.
Now you know where I've been.
May the mass times acceleration be with you.
2004-05-06, 11:22 AM #19
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by oSiRiS:
Take a teaspoon or so of water and put it in a warm (about 98F, body temperature) glass of water. Then "inhale" or suck it up through your nose, but do not inhale it into your lungs. Please don't kill yourself trying to do this. It invades your sinuses and cleans them out, in my experience (i get sinus infections and the resulting HORRIBLE HEADACHES all the time), and you use salt water because you want it to resemble the fluid in your body OTHERWISE IT WILL HURT.

The feeling is very weird, like when you get alot of water in your nose after going in a pool or falling while water skiing. But then it clears out and is nice, JUST DONT INHALE TOO FAR.

Other than that, try some nasal decongestant stuff... go to a doctor and ask or just browse around the stuff you can buy off the shelf at a supermarket. Alot of them even carry "saline nasal spray".

</font>

Apparently the proper ratio is closer to 1/2 a teaspoon of non-iodized salt per cup of water.

I've had alot of luck with this recently, but you need to be careful about how you do it. Look it up on the internet... an hours worth of research will generally reveal some truths to it.

I cannot express the changes... it's amazing. I'm happier because I don't suffer constant headaches, my eyes aren't as blurry, I can hear better, and I'm not nearly as irritable. And everything feels clear.

I've learned that sinus infections and clogs and crap are a very bad situation to be in. I only started having this crap this year, but it's been horrible. I'm more irritable and my grades have been falling. And I can't see straight. But now that I'm actively trying to fix it... it's sooooo much better.

I'm following up on this somewhat old post not to dig up old threads but because I can almost guarantee you sinus sufferers are still suffering.

[This message has been edited by oSiRiS (edited May 06, 2004).]
2004-05-06, 11:38 AM #20
I tried the water thing while I was in my shower (before I'd read the posts).
Chlorinated water does not feel good within a nasal cavity.

Anyway, the sinus problem stopped after a few days. Headaches bring me down quicker than anything, and usually end up making me sick to my stomach, too.

------------------

Catloaf, meet mouseloaf.
My music
2004-05-06, 11:42 AM #21
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by DogSRoOL:
Quote:
Originally posted by MechWarrior:
Drill a hole in your head.</font>
Aah.

So now, how do I stop the bleeding?

[/b]

Just get a klenex and the hole you made in your head should keep the pressure on nice and tight... or your could consult a doctor but thats only if you start to feel a bit dizzy.

------------------
<Outlaw_Torn> you mean your related to that damned sasquatch, Mech?
<MechWarrior> Lets just say the part of the family tree that does fork has bossy the goat in it.

<ubuu> does hitler have a last name?
2004-05-06, 11:50 AM #22
Dizzy?

Weeeoooohhh!

/passes out
Catloaf, meet mouseloaf.
My music
2004-05-06, 4:45 PM #23
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by DogSRoOL:
I tried the water thing while I was in my shower (before I'd read the posts).
Chlorinated water does not feel good within a nasal cavity.

Anyway, the sinus problem stopped after a few days. Headaches bring me down quicker than anything, and usually end up making me sick to my stomach, too.

</font>

oh crap. sorry i forgot to say this (i have tap water) but you should use bottled water in your case as chlorine is very very bad.

------------------
Ω of 14
2004-05-06, 7:38 PM #24
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Avenger:
Ever try a nasal decongestant?

</font>

------------------
I'm not an actor. I just play one on TV.
Pissed Off?
2004-05-07, 7:47 AM #25
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Avenger:
Ever try a nasal decongestant?</font>
Um... yeah... when I have nasal congestion.
[http://forums.massassi.net/html/confused.gif]

------------------

Catloaf, meet mouseloaf.
My music

↑ Up to the top!