Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → A rant of Maya and RedHat
A rant of Maya and RedHat
2005-05-08, 4:49 PM #1
Good God. What a horrible combination. Whatever ****bag ever thought to take a program designed for a Windows platform and install it on an OS as ****ty as RedHat must've been smoking some coke-laced MJ because it is the most unstable, most unusable combination of **** that I have ever had the misfortune to use.

Let's not even take into account the fact that loading data from a CD-ROM drive is a complete *****. Let's not even take into account the fact that Maya is incompatible with projects from other same-update copies of itself, doesn't calculate clips correctly, and constantly breaks links and destroys geometry.

I would have thought that it costing $1000+ retail would have made this program a valuable tool and accessory. Boy, was I wrong. What a steaming pile of **** it's turned out to be. God damn, I hate RedHat and Maya.
the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot - LC Tusken
2005-05-08, 5:09 PM #2
Who the hell uses the RedHat OS?
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2005-05-08, 5:27 PM #3
I have actually heard that Maya runs great of other Linux Distros.
The tired anthem of a loser and a hypocrite.
2005-05-08, 5:32 PM #4
Quote:
Originally posted by Echoman
Who the hell uses the RedHat OS?

California State University, San Marcos
Code to the left of him, code to the right of him, code in front of him compil'd and thundered. Programm'd at with shot and $SHELL. Boldly he typed and well. Into the jaws of C. Into the mouth of PERL. Debug'd the 0x258.
2005-05-08, 5:39 PM #5
Theres a Linux port of Maya? :confused:
And when the moment is right, I'm gonna fly a kite.
2005-05-08, 6:04 PM #6
Quote:
Originally posted by JediGandalf
California State University, San Marcos

Are there any advantages of using this OS?
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2005-05-08, 7:46 PM #7
Quote:
Originally posted by gbk
Theres a Linux port of Maya? :confused:

Yep.
The tired anthem of a loser and a hypocrite.
2005-05-08, 8:01 PM #8
Quote:

No. RedHat sucks. Debian kicks RedHat's arse.
2005-05-08, 8:48 PM #9
Quote:
Originally posted by gbk
No. RedHat sucks. Debian kicks RedHat's arse.

Fedora's okay, and Gentoo's better than both.

*runs from the flames to come via GBK*
D E A T H
2005-05-08, 8:55 PM #10
Quote:

Actually, there were problems when we had to use it for my OS class. Some libraries we needed were not installed. They ran LETHARGICALLY. Although I'm told that was a misconfiguration and it was (hopefully) rectified.

I believe I can see why my university chose RH. It's not very good to have to scour internet forums and sites to get support when a critical system problem occurs. Red Hat is a publically traded company where Debian et al are not. (debian.org)

University or corporation, system downtime == very bad and the problem must be resolved quickly. IMHO, I would rather call up or e-mail the company's help desk than have to scour the net for some bloke's HOWTOs.

Edit: removed link.
Code to the left of him, code to the right of him, code in front of him compil'd and thundered. Programm'd at with shot and $SHELL. Boldly he typed and well. Into the jaws of C. Into the mouth of PERL. Debug'd the 0x258.
2005-05-08, 8:56 PM #11
I hear FreeBSD is good.
[This message has been edited. Deal with it.]
2005-05-09, 5:52 PM #12
Aye, RedHat IS at least owned by a company.

Too bad Debian et al. are all better alternatives :\
D E A T H
2005-05-09, 6:13 PM #13
There are several organizations that sell support for Debian...
2005-05-09, 6:17 PM #14
Quote:
Originally posted by gbk
There are several organizations that sell support for Debian...

But they didn't create debian. I'd rather have someone who worked on the source for the distro than someone who knows about it.
D E A T H
2005-05-09, 6:24 PM #15
Quote:
Originally posted by Dj Yoshi
...I'd rather have someone who worked on the source for the distro than someone who knows about it.

You arent going to get that with RedHat either. The programmers in the back have much more important things to do than answer phones for tech support.
2005-05-09, 6:28 PM #16
Quote:
Originally posted by gbk
You arent going to get that with RedHat either. The programmers in the back have much more important things to do than answer phones for tech support.

Considering tech support and business licenses are what get their income and living, I think the guys will take a minute off if they need to to answer questions.
D E A T H
2005-05-09, 6:50 PM #17
Quote:
Originally posted by Dj Yoshi
...I think the guys will take a minute off if they need to to answer questions.
Your kidding, right? Tech support is a round-the-clock job. RedHat has dedicated people for that. They dont need to be programmers, they just need to know Linux, specifically, RedHat. Knowing the internal structures of RPM or YUM isnt going to help any when QT is missing dependencies, or Oracle fails to install because the kernel was complied without a required feature.
2005-05-09, 6:57 PM #18
Quote:
Originally posted by gbk
Your kidding, right? Tech support is a round-the-clock job. RedHat has dedicated people for that. They dont need to be programmers, they just need to know Linux, specifically, RedHat. Knowing the internal structures of RPM or YUM isnt going to help any when QT is missing dependencies, or Oracle fails to install because the kernel was complied without a required feature.

1) I meant have support technicians, then have the coders to help if they must. Not for the coders to be part-time support technicians, no.

2) There's things a lot more involved than a missing dependency or two.
D E A T H
2005-05-09, 8:56 PM #19
Red Hat has got to be the crappiest distribution on the face of the planet.
2005-05-09, 9:02 PM #20
Quote:
Originally posted by Brian
Red Hat has got to be the crappiest distribution on the face of the planet.

Mandrake.
D E A T H

↑ Up to the top!