Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Does 25 years REALLY matter...
Does 25 years REALLY matter...
2005-05-09, 12:41 AM #1
when you are 900 years old?

I mean... on the left, Yoda is 875.. on the right he is 900....

if you put this ratio in to effect for humans, his 25 year difference would be a 2.5 years difference for us. Example, an 87.5 year old man and a 90 year old man. I see a huge difference. I really hate the way he had to redesign Yoda to make him look younger..

[http://www.sorrowind.net/laboratory/yoda.jpg]
||||||||||||||||||||
2005-05-09, 12:46 AM #2
he lost his uberness in the force to some extent perhaps, and wasnt able to keep his body young.

I'd still hit it
Code:
if(getThingFlags(source) & 0x8){
  do her}
elseif(getThingFlags(source) & 0x4){
  do other babe}
else{
  do a dude}
2005-05-09, 12:52 AM #3
You'd hit? Hmm, yeah he does look sort of like an asian...
"The only crime I'm guilty of is love [of china]"
- Ruthven
me clan me mod
2005-05-09, 12:53 AM #4
When you get old, a couple of years can make a huge difference.
Pissed Off?
2005-05-09, 12:57 AM #5
nah, he didn't think when he designed him, he should have looked VERY similar. I'm not even gonna go into the whole Anikan/Padme thing.. how he aged horribly between ep1 &2 yet NO ONE else did.
||||||||||||||||||||
2005-05-09, 1:22 AM #6
Of course he's going to look different in CGI.
"Well ain't that a merry jelly." - FastGamerr

"You can actually see the waves of me not caring in the air." - fishstickz
2005-05-09, 1:25 AM #7
And besides, he's been living in a damn swamp for the past 25 years.

LETS SEE HOW GOOD YOU LOOK WITH ALL THAT HUMIDITY!
2005-05-09, 3:25 AM #8
There's a lot of factors to take:

-As someone already mentioned, even a couple human years can show an increased lapse in age when one is venerable

-The effects of the Clone Wars has certainly sapped any youthful energy Yoda may have had -- whatever happens in Episode 3 will leave Yoda to decide to move into isolation. Stack this with the above.

-At least in the movies, we have no idea what Yoda is suppose to be -- we don't have any others of his kind to compare him to. Their aging may well differ greatly from humans. Stack this with the above.

-As someone else already pointed out, his diminishing connection with the Force means he's aging quicker. Whether it's because of age/other factors that his Force is diminishing or visa versa, the decreasing Force and his increasing age are compounding. Stack this with the above.

-Finally, the difference really ISN'T that big. The difference may even be able to be attributed to simply difference between CGI and muppet construct.

So yes, 25 years, one way or another, do matter. If nothing else, look at the difference between Episode 2, where Yoda does 20 flips and doesn't take a breather, and Episode 5, where he's struggling with an X-Wing.

Whether you feel Yoda shouldn't have done those things is an entirely different matter, of course.
The Plothole: a home for amateur, inclusive, collaborative stories
http://forums.theplothole.net
2005-05-09, 6:20 AM #9
If palpatine can do it, yoda can do it. :P
2005-05-09, 7:25 AM #10
Hey, you try living on Dagoba for 25 years.
2005-05-09, 10:33 AM #11
living on Dagoba shouldn't reshape his skull...
||||||||||||||||||||
2005-05-09, 10:48 AM #12
It could, maybe his skull is composed of stuff that absorbs swamp juice.
- Ruthven
me clan me mod
2005-05-09, 10:51 AM #13
Quote:
Originally posted by tinny
It could, maybe his skull is composed of stuff that absorbs swamp juice.
Or maybe the gravity is more than normal.

Or we can have the real reason: GL RAPED MY CHILDHOOD.
2005-05-09, 10:51 AM #14
Quote:
Originally posted by Gebohq
-At least in the movies, we have no idea what Yoda is suppose to be -- we don't have any others of his kind to compare him to. Their aging may well differ greatly from humans. Stack this with the above.

There was another member of Yoda's species in The Phantom Menace- Yaddle, one of the members of the Jedi Council.
2005-05-09, 11:55 AM #15
Stuff twenty-five years... it's the ten years between Episodes I & II I don't get....
Xbox Live/PlayStation Network/Steam: tone217
http://twitter.com/ourmatetone
2005-05-09, 12:02 PM #16
After Yoda realized he was infertile, his life went down through a spiral of depression, denial and drugs in those short years.
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2005-05-09, 12:09 PM #17
Yaddle told him no :(
- Ruthven
me clan me mod
2005-05-09, 2:08 PM #18
Whatever happened to Yaddle anyway? I don't think she was in Episode II....
2005-05-09, 2:27 PM #19
Quote:
Originally posted by Brian
Or maybe the gravity is more than normal.

Or we can have the real reason: GL RAPED MY CHILDHOOD.

OMG! HE RAPED IT SO GOOD HE DID IT BEFORE THE MAJORITY OF US WERE CONCEIVED!

THAT *******!
2005-05-09, 2:30 PM #20
Quote:
Originally posted by Spiral
living on Dagoba shouldn't reshape his skull...

what? his head is just turned at a different angle.
[01:52] <~Nikumubeki> Because it's MBEGGAR BEGS LIKE A BEGONI.
2005-05-10, 4:57 PM #21
Exactly, plus he's squinting in the left pic and doing a frown with one of those chin-lift things I've seen actual people do.
Catloaf, meet mouseloaf.
My music
2005-05-10, 5:04 PM #22
i've always thought that in that 25 years, Yoda just got happier and happier, and then when Luke left him, he became depressed and started crack lining
Holy soap opera Batman. - FGR
DARWIN WILL PREVENT THE DOWNFALL OF OUR RACE. - Rob
Free Jin!
2005-05-10, 5:12 PM #23
Quote:
Originally posted by tinny
Yaddle told him no :(

Hahaha

Quote:
Originally posted by AKPiggott
Whatever happened to Yaddle anyway? I don't think she was in Episode II....

Yes she was, you just don't get to see her. But I have a theory on what's happening with all the Council in Episode III, and why Yoda is on Dagobah.

THEY WERE ALL KILLED BY GENERAL GRIEVIOUS!!! AND YODA ESCAPED BECAUSE HE WAS SCARED! :em321:
Skateboarding is not a crime.
2005-05-11, 10:41 AM #24
Quote:
nah, he didn't think when he designed him, he should have looked VERY similar. I'm not even gonna go into the whole Anikan/Padme thing.. how he aged horribly between ep1 &2 yet NO ONE else did.

You must be confused. An eight year old child would age "horribly" over ten years. The other characters were already slightly to much older so their aging would be displayed at a lesser degree, similar to how it did in the film.
"I would rather claim to be an uneducated man than be mal-educated and claim to be otherwise." - Wookie 03:16

2005-05-11, 7:54 PM #25
Spiral might now alot about making levels for outdated games, but he sure doesn't know jack about anything else.

j/k
2005-05-11, 7:56 PM #26
Um, I always thought he got sick between EP5 and EP6. That coupled with 900 years could easily kill a Jedi Master. And I thought he was sick before any of the prequels...
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2005-05-11, 9:52 PM #27
acharjay has a time machine!
May the mass times acceleration be with you.
2005-05-11, 10:26 PM #28
Quote:

Well if I didn't know any better, I'd say Anakin aged so much that he became a totally different person.
I can't think of anything to put here right now.
2005-05-12, 2:31 AM #29
^- Snicker

Ya know, one interesting thing is that Yoda might not even be that young in ROTJ. I mean he says he trained Jedi for 900 years, now that would have to mean that he trained Jedi since birth.

Maybe he's even into the thousands?

Either way, when you consider that when he was on the Jedi Council things were going smoothly. Considering the dark side of the force has such an aging curse on ol' Palpy, perhaps the light side does the opposite. With the abundance of Jedi power Yoda being tuned into, it was probably like a 24/7 health spa. However to then maroon himself all alone on Dagobah to where he even slightly starts to lose it, well that can have a devastating aging process.

Especially if he was much older than 900 years old and his species might show more degradation in the 25+/- last years of their life.

All in all, I think Lucas did make Yoda a little too young looking- mostly in Episode 1. He looked way too different there.

Though dealing with Anakin must've put on a lot of stress which can have effects in aging...

As for Yaddle, she "unoffocially" died inbetween TPM and AOTC along with Yarael Poof.
"We came, we saw, we conquered, we...woke up!"
2005-05-12, 2:42 AM #30
Where did Yoda say he trained Jedi for 900 years? He says "When 900 years you reach . . . " but I don't remeber any other number reference.
Pissed Off?
2005-05-12, 10:56 AM #31
He does say "For eight-hundred years have I trained Jedi..."

Guess he was well into his nineties before he reached Jedi Master rank. What a sucky Jedi.
2005-05-12, 3:25 PM #32
Bleh, I see it more as a wlittle way to tell the story. Make the character look a wee bit older to show that time has passed.
The answer is maybe.
2005-05-12, 9:05 PM #33
It seems to me that muppet Yoda had a more expressive face than the CGI Yoda, not so much in how much it could move, but in having very little movement it conveyed so much. The new one is pretty much crap.
"When it's time for this planet to die, you'll understand that you know absolutely nothing." — Bugenhagen

↑ Up to the top!