Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Made an infrared camera.
Made an infrared camera.
2005-05-09, 7:02 PM #1
It's a simple webcam hack. I bought a cheap webcam, opened it up, removed the infrared filter and replaced it with some photograph negatives. Now it only recieves infrared light (basically, it isn't perfect yet).

I'm gonna do it a little more cleanly later, these negatives have my prints all over them, but the quality is decent for a $20 webcam that's been tampered with.

Any projects you have going on?
Steal my dreams and sell them back to me.....
2005-05-09, 7:18 PM #2
What exactly would this be useful for? Nekkid webcam sex... in the dark?
<Lyme> I got Fight Club for 6.98 at walmart.
<Black_Bishop> I am Jack's low price guarantee
2005-05-09, 7:26 PM #3
To be honest, I saw info about the mod online and was just curious.

I mean, it's an entire spectrum of light God didn't intend me to see.
2005-05-09, 9:13 PM #4
Huh, get more pics of this, that seems pretty cool...
$do || ! $do ; try
try: command not found
Ye Olde Galactic Empire Mission Editor (X-wing, TIE, XvT/BoP, XWA)
2005-05-09, 9:16 PM #5
Yea, thats pretty snifty, especially for a 20 dollar camera.
"Honey, you got real ugly."
2005-05-09, 9:45 PM #6
I cleaned up the negatives, and used less of them, so the picture's about as clear as the unmodded camera. It didn't have this green tint at first, but after a while it started to show up.

Anyway, here's some phenomena that happens in infrared.

1) These are the safety features on the reverse of an american $10 bill. They only appear in infrared.
2005-05-09, 9:47 PM #7
Or under ultraviolet light.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2005-05-09, 9:50 PM #8
2) This shirt is actually dark navy blue, yet appears white. I'm not sure what it is, because some clothing stays dark. A friend was wearing a black shirt and navy shorts; the shorts stayed navy while the shirt appeared white.
2005-05-09, 9:59 PM #9
Let's see your bed.

:shifteyes:

What?
2005-05-09, 10:39 PM #10
Quote:
Originally posted by JudgeDredd
What exactly would this be useful for? Nekkid webcam sex... in the dark?

Pretty much. :p
Pissed Off?
2005-05-10, 12:19 AM #11
with paris hilton
gbk is 50 probably

MB IS FAT
2005-05-10, 12:36 AM #12
Are you receiving reflected infrared from a light source (or heat source)? These images don't really look like passive infrared images in my opinion.
Frozen in the past by ICARUS
2005-05-10, 3:09 AM #13
Quote:
Originally posted by NoESC
with paris hilton

That's hot.
>>untie shoes
2005-05-10, 4:36 AM #14
Quote:
Originally posted by lassev
Are you receiving reflected infrared from a light source (or heat source)? These images don't really look like passive infrared images in my opinion.
Infrared is not "heat vision" like you see in bad movies.

Infrared light is emitted by almost all light sources, including the sun. If you use a very good infrared camera with the right filter you can see through clothing under certain conditions.
2005-05-10, 5:34 AM #15
I could use a pair of infrared binoculars...

I might give this mod a shot so I can catch those ******* kids that keep knocking over my mailbox. These kids aren't even creative anymore. At least when we were kids, we blew them up with homemade bombs and such.
2005-05-10, 6:56 AM #16
Infrared is all wavelengths of light longer than 750 nm (the longest visible red light), but less than microwaves. Similarly, ultraviolet is the light of a higher frequency than visible purple, but less than x-rays.

Keep in mind that I'm filtering out visible light with camera negatives, which aren't the best filters.
2005-05-10, 8:00 AM #17
do you have to replace the filters often, or can you just leave one in?
$do || ! $do ; try
try: command not found
Ye Olde Galactic Empire Mission Editor (X-wing, TIE, XvT/BoP, XWA)
2005-05-10, 8:21 AM #18
So its faked?
Nothing to see here, move along.
2005-05-10, 8:27 AM #19
No.
nope.
2005-05-10, 8:33 AM #20
It's not faked, it's just makeshift. It operates on the same principle as expensive infrared cameras. You remove the infrared filter and the camera now recieves infrared light. The camera negatives filter out visible light, but being camera negatives and not a true visible light filter, they don't filter out all of it and the quality suffers a little.

The filters should work indefinitely.

Cameras Jon`C mentioned use filters designed so that nearly all the light percieved is infrared. I could probably find a better material for it, but the negatives work, as you can see with the shirt and $10 bill. It isn't so refined that you can see through clothes, but it cost a total of $20 and that isn't why I built it.
2005-05-10, 1:25 PM #21
My camera phone has been raped now. I'm trying to take the lens off again, but it doesn't look too good right now...
Sneaky sneaks. I'm actually a werewolf. Woof.
2005-05-10, 1:52 PM #22
Wrecked. Completely. Excuse the hurried writing.
Attachment: 5011/infra-red-cameraphone.jpg (87,071 bytes)
2005-05-10, 1:55 PM #23
At this time I would like to state that it was his old phone.
nope.
2005-05-10, 1:55 PM #24
hey, you're the moron that tried with a phone...
Holy soap opera Batman. - FGR
DARWIN WILL PREVENT THE DOWNFALL OF OUR RACE. - Rob
Free Jin!
2005-05-10, 2:04 PM #25
Quote:
If you use a very good infrared camera with the right filter you can see through clothing under certain conditions.

/me buys a camera
Cordially,
Lord Tiberius Grismath
1473 for '1337' posts.
2005-05-10, 2:05 PM #26
I thought, it would've been cool if I could have a portable real-time IR camera. But.. it didn't turn out too well. I'm going to smash it against a wall tomorrow, or brick it, I'll post picks.
2005-05-10, 2:10 PM #27
Why don't you be creative... and blow it up?
2005-05-10, 2:13 PM #28
Quote:
Originally posted by Rob
Why don't you be creative... and blow it up?

I just suggested that to him in Msn.
nope.
2005-05-10, 4:03 PM #29
Sorry about the phone man.
2005-05-10, 4:11 PM #30
Quote:
Originally posted by Lord_Grismath
/me buys a camera
Sony actually sold a phone, off the shelf, that was capable of this. After it became public knowledge they pulled it, and made the IR feature only function at nighttime.
2005-05-10, 4:15 PM #31
Quote:
Originally posted by Jon`C

Infrared light is emitted by almost all light sources, including the sun. If you use a very good infrared camera with the right filter you can see through clothing under certain conditions.

Sure, Mr. Heat Vision, but actually it is. But I'm afraid I haven't seen those bad movies.

I suppose what I was thinking would require special software to recolour observed intensity levels. It would then be more clear then to use for example to scan computer interiors for heat distribution and success of your cooling solutions, or even to scan how good the insulation is in your freezer or house (room). However, it might require a more sensitive camera. And total darkness to eliminate the visible wavelenght noise the make do filters let through.

However, this is very cool nonetheless! And the temptation to try this is very high indeed...
Frozen in the past by ICARUS
2005-05-10, 4:52 PM #32
Well, IR is electro-magnetic radiation that's close to wavelengths put out by heat, but it's not really "heat vision."
2005-05-10, 4:52 PM #33
Quote:
Originally posted by Jon`C

Like the time I was on a field trip to the fire station, and they let us try out the IR things. Apparently, "things" could be seen.
Catloaf, meet mouseloaf.
My music
2005-05-10, 6:04 PM #34
Firefighters often use IR gear because it sees through smoke more easily than the naked eye.
2005-05-10, 6:19 PM #35
Super 8MM Cameras used to have a nightvision mode that would see through some women's dresses. Needless to say, the specific nightvision mode has been pulled at retooled.
twitter | flickr | last.fm | facebook |
2005-05-10, 6:31 PM #36
My friends here were only interested in this because of the possible clothing thing too.
2005-05-11, 2:07 PM #37
there are different ranges of IR. near IR (NIR), shortwave IR (SIR), midwave IR(MIR), and longwave IR (LIR).
the kind of IR that allows you to see undergarments is NIR. the heat vision thing on military equipment is either MIR or LIR.
short, mid and longwave IR is heat.

btw, cool that you did that with your camera. :)

↑ Up to the top!