Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Self Replicating Robot
Self Replicating Robot
2005-05-11, 9:22 PM #1
http://www.mae.cornell.edu/ccsl/research/selfrep/video/4x4ht4a.mpg
creepy
article
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/4538547.stm

Quote:
US researchers have devised a simple robot that can make copies of itself from spare parts.

Writing in Nature, the robot's creators say their experiment shows the ability to reproduce is not unique to biology.

Their long-term plan is to design robots made from hundreds or thousands of identical basic modules.

These could repair themselves if parts fail, reconfigure themselves to better perform the task they have been set, or even to make extra helpers.

So far the robots, if they can be called that, consist of just three or four mobile cubes.

Each unit comes with a small computer code carrying a blueprint for the layout of the robot, electrical contacts to let it communicate with its neighbours, and magnets to let them stick together.

By turning and moving, the cubes can pick up new units, decide where they belong, and stack them alongside each other to make new devices.

In a little more than a minute, a simple three-cube robot can make a copy of itself.

That offspring version can then make further copies. It's only a toy demonstration of the idea, but lead researcher Hod Lipson, of Cornell University in Ithaca, New York, has bold plans for these intelligent modular machines.

"Space applications clearly come to mind. If you're sending a robot to one of Jupiter's moons, and the robot breaks, then the mission is over," Dr Lipson told the BBC.

"So you would like to have a robotic system that can adapt, or to repair itself, remotely. So that would be one clear application."

Other applications could be down mines or in nuclear facilities. The researchers have previously used aspects of evolution to help them design robots.

Combining this with the biology of self-repair and of replication would make huge changes to the field of robotics.
</sarcasm>
<Anovis> mmmm I wanna lick your wet, Mentis.
2005-05-11, 9:24 PM #2
It's the Replicators!
Pissed Off?
2005-05-11, 9:26 PM #3
Awesome, these robots are well on their way to fullfilling the biological definition of "life".
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2005-05-11, 9:28 PM #4
WE'RE DOOMED
2005-05-11, 11:38 PM #5
Quote:
Originally posted by Avenger
It's the Replicators!

AHHHHHHHHH
<Lyme> I got Fight Club for 6.98 at walmart.
<Black_Bishop> I am Jack's low price guarantee
2005-05-11, 11:47 PM #6
QUICK! Call Richard Dean Anderson! We need to know how to UN-Invent them!
2005-05-12, 4:57 AM #7
Its no fun if the LEGO models build themselves -.-
"Whats that for?" "Thats the machine that goes 'ping'" PING!
Q. How many testers does it take to change a light bulb?
A. We just noticed the room was dark; we don't actually fix the problems.
MCMF forever.
2005-05-12, 5:03 AM #8
Quote:
Originally posted by Duo Maxwell

indeed
Code:
if(getThingFlags(source) & 0x8){
  do her}
elseif(getThingFlags(source) & 0x4){
  do other babe}
else{
  do a dude}
2005-05-12, 5:05 AM #9
Pfft, he himself could have made this with a paper clip and a lollipop.
nope.
2005-05-12, 9:29 AM #10
"Dear MacGyver, enclosed is a paperclip, a rubber band and a straw. Please save my wife."

*rigs the paperclip in the straw to the rubberband, shoots the paperclip into his face*
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2005-05-12, 1:28 PM #11
Quote:
Originally posted by Duo Maxwell

Or just grab a crapload of these: http://world.guns.ru/shotgun/sh16-e.htm
"We came, we saw, we conquered, we...woke up!"
2005-05-12, 2:30 PM #12
Quote:
Originally posted by Boco
Pfft, he himself could have made this with a paper clip and a lollipop.

Perhpas, but it was way cooler when he was blowing them to ****.
Pissed Off?
2005-05-12, 2:35 PM #13
Quote:
Originally posted by Emon
"Dear MacGyver, enclosed is a paperclip, a rubber band and a straw. Please save my wife."

*rigs the paperclip in the straw to the rubberband, shoots the paperclip into his face*

You mean dog. :em321:
Got a permanent feather in my cap;
Got a stretch to my stride;
a stroll to my step;
2005-05-12, 3:01 PM #14
Quote:
WE'RE DOOMED

agreed ... :eek:
2005-05-12, 9:01 PM #15
Way to ****ing be original Cornell. There have been fluid, self-replicating robots walking this Earth for billions of years.
"When it's time for this planet to die, you'll understand that you know absolutely nothing." — Bugenhagen
2005-05-12, 9:05 PM #16
Technology is getting too advanced for my liking.

< The Matrix has you Neo. >
2005-05-13, 4:18 AM #17
Quote:
Originally posted by Master Tonberry
Way to ****ing be original Cornell. There have been fluid, self-replicating robots walking this Earth for billions of years.

So...what kind of drugs were you taking before you posted this?
D E A T H
2005-05-13, 8:39 PM #18
I rmember this other forum where there was a huge "discussion" about what the dominant lifeform on earth was. It was agreed that DNA is the most successful life form, with Memes being a close second.

-... If you wanna get technical about it.

↑ Up to the top!