Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → look what i found in a P1 system...
look what i found in a P1 system...
2005-05-12, 6:57 AM #1
Adaptec AHA-2940 SCSI-2 ("Fast SCSI") card ;)
the system has only one ATA channel so they had the cdrom hooked up on it and the floppy also on ATA but the hard drive is a 1GB Seagate 5,400rpm SCSI2 drive, hehehe

this thing is like a 70MHz (maybe 100MHz) Pentium I... the sticker says it was built by AT&T... heh

so, share your interesting computer finds... and let me know if anyone needs a SCSI-2 card ;) (if it were Ultra320 or something i'd use it... but Serial ATA beats the pants off of most SCSI ;))
"*quickly adds in disclaimer that Is may still yet end up being slapped with a white glove, as all women are crazy and there are no rules*" --mavispoo
2005-05-12, 7:17 AM #2
Last week, I bought a computer at a thrift store for $2.00. I was able to open it before I bought it, and saw it was a Celeron Socket 370 something or other, so I figured I'd use the chip in place of a Pentium III 1.0ghz I had ordered until it arrived in the mail. When I got out to the car, the thought crossed my mind that I hadn't check how big the hard drive was. 20GB WESTERN DIGITAL PROTOGE!

Oh, and then my all time favorite. Last summer, I hit a lot of yard sales with my brother. We came upon one where there was a box with a bunch of computer stuff in it, cases and such. I liked one of the boxes, and with out really looking inside of it, just asked the lady how much she wanted. She told me to make an offer, and so i was going to tell her $20. Right as I was about to speak, the other lady next to her told me $5 and it was mine. I GLADLY handed her the $5, rushed immediately to the car, and opened my treasure chest to see what was inside. AMD Athlon XP 1800, 40GB IBM hard drive, MSI K7T Turbo2 motherboard all in perfectly working condition.
:D
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

Thou shalt not weigh more than thy refrigerator.

Eat well, stay fit, die anyway.
2005-05-12, 7:23 AM #3
Yesterday I found these two: http://forums.massassi.net/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=32331

Cept one came with a 21" monitor.
2005-05-12, 7:52 AM #4
Quote:
Originally posted by BrianTheSith
Last week, I bought a computer at a thrift store for $2.00. I was able to open it before I bought it, and saw it was a Celeron Socket 370 something or other, so I figured I'd use the chip in place of a Pentium III 1.0ghz I had ordered until it arrived in the mail. When I got out to the car, the thought crossed my mind that I hadn't check how big the hard drive was. 20GB WESTERN DIGITAL PROTOGE!

Oh, and then my all time favorite. Last summer, I hit a lot of yard sales with my brother. We came upon one where there was a box with a bunch of computer stuff in it, cases and such. I liked one of the boxes, and with out really looking inside of it, just asked the lady how much she wanted. She told me to make an offer, and so i was going to tell her $20. Right as I was about to speak, the other lady next to her told me $5 and it was mine. I GLADLY handed her the $5, rushed immediately to the car, and opened my treasure chest to see what was inside. AMD Athlon XP 1800, 40GB IBM hard drive, MSI K7T Turbo2 motherboard all in perfectly working condition.
:D

Damn, thats awesome, great for a little server or for old games.
Got a permanent feather in my cap;
Got a stretch to my stride;
a stroll to my step;
2005-05-12, 8:35 AM #5
i hate you, BrianTheSith

(=
"*quickly adds in disclaimer that Is may still yet end up being slapped with a white glove, as all women are crazy and there are no rules*" --mavispoo
2005-05-12, 9:28 AM #6
We found a 19 or 20 inch Dell Trinitron in the garbage. Perfect condition. Vibrant color, crisp picture, no color diverence near the edges of the screen. This thing was in mint condition.

It's really amazing what idiots throw out because they don't know what they're doing. My dad and I go looking through the garbage every garbage night around 11 PM, we usually end up with something good. Spring time is the best, 'cause of spring cleaning. You've got people pitching grills, lawnmowers, snowblowers, whole computers, anything.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2005-05-12, 9:45 AM #7
Emon: sweetness... my uncle works for a huge industrial extermination company so he knows when food companies chuck their stock... he gets day old bread, frozen pizzas and all sorts of other great stuff from the dumpsters. (he does it less now than he used to... he makes more than enough money to buy that stuff... he's just a funny guy who loves doing crazy things like that)
2005-05-12, 10:34 AM #8
I have a modem made by ATI.
2005-05-12, 11:19 AM #9
Quote:
Originally posted by Emon
We found a 19 or 20 inch Dell Trinitron in the garbage. Perfect condition. Vibrant color, crisp picture, no color diverence near the edges of the screen. This thing was in mint condition.

It's really amazing what idiots throw out because they don't know what they're doing. My dad and I go looking through the garbage every garbage night around 11 PM, we usually end up with something good. Spring time is the best, 'cause of spring cleaning. You've got people pitching grills, lawnmowers, snowblowers, whole computers, anything.

Dumpster diving is pretty awesome.
2005-05-12, 3:39 PM #10
a PII 450 dual processor with a 10,000RPM HDD. it was $10,000 when the company i worked for bought it. my co-worker bought it for $50 3 years ago. it was bought by the company when the PII 450 was the fastest thing out there.
2005-05-12, 5:14 PM #11
I got a $179 divx/DVD player (open box) for $41 even though they wanted $80 for it.
2005-05-12, 8:43 PM #12
Oh, and one time at Microcenter, they had 4 port USB/PS2 KVMs which have a retail price of $260, they were selling them on the shelf for around $200. They had them on clearence for 99 cents, I got both that were available.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2005-05-12, 8:47 PM #13
I opened up a few old comps I have here, one is a 386, the other a 486

I got alot of old comps here, a few pentiums and a pentium II also a PowerPC :\
A computer's worst nightmare:

HazTeam Website-=HT=

↑ Up to the top!