Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Need at least one Canadian
Need at least one Canadian
2005-05-15, 10:07 AM #1
I'm looking for a Canadian slang word I heard a while ago but have forgotten. It's French for 'now', but it isn't 'maintenant'. Quickly or all my plans will be foiled
■■■■■■■■
■■■■■■■■
■■■■■■■■
■■■■■■
■■■■■■■■
■■■■■■■■
■■■■■■■■
enshu
2005-05-15, 10:14 AM #2
Tout de suite?
2005-05-15, 10:26 AM #3
No, it's not that. It's less mainstream than tout de suite, and I think it's slang specific for a particular region in Canada.
■■■■■■■■
■■■■■■■■
■■■■■■■■
■■■■■■
■■■■■■■■
■■■■■■■■
■■■■■■■■
enshu
2005-05-15, 10:27 AM #4
Vite? (french for "quick" or "quickly"... my old french teacher used to say this to us when she wanted us to do something immediately)
2005-05-15, 10:31 AM #5
Tenshu, what region of Canada did you hear that from? I'm from Québec and can't really think of anything else. We just say "maintenant." :p
2005-05-15, 10:35 AM #6
I'm not sure where it originated from. It sounds like 'astu' maybe? Something like that.
■■■■■■■■
■■■■■■■■
■■■■■■■■
■■■■■■
■■■■■■■■
■■■■■■■■
■■■■■■■■
enshu
2005-05-15, 10:36 AM #7
Osti?
2005-05-15, 10:46 AM #8
Quote:
Originally posted by Shintock
Osti?

Reminds me of "The Ostry"...
Sorry for the lousy German
2005-05-15, 10:54 AM #9
a c't'heure
The music industry is a cruel and shallow money trench where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.
2005-05-15, 10:59 AM #10
Quote:
Originally posted by Flexor
a c't'heure

DING DING DING
■■■■■■■■
■■■■■■■■
■■■■■■■■
■■■■■■
■■■■■■■■
■■■■■■■■
■■■■■■■■
enshu
2005-05-15, 10:59 AM #11
Shintock, you should be ashamed. :p
The music industry is a cruel and shallow money trench where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.
2005-05-15, 10:59 AM #12
Is that like saying a cette heure except condensed?
"The only crime I'm guilty of is love [of china]"
- Ruthven
me clan me mod
2005-05-15, 11:01 AM #13
Quote:
Originally posted by tinny
Is that like saying a cette heure except condensed?

Yep. To be exact, it's "a cette heure" in old french. The dialect is called 'jouale' and is spoken in and around the montreal region, and it's largely influenced by old french.
2005-05-15, 11:01 AM #14
Yep! She just pronounced it really quickly, 'asteure' or something. Can't believe I didn't make that link.
■■■■■■■■
■■■■■■■■
■■■■■■■■
■■■■■■
■■■■■■■■
■■■■■■■■
■■■■■■■■
enshu
2005-05-15, 11:03 AM #15
Man, my french is so bad. For three plus years all i've been doing is memorizing verb tables and such, I need experience talking it but there's no one around to talk to :(. So I'll just chat some people up at massassi and maybe my french will improve :).
"The only crime I'm guilty of is love [of china]"
- Ruthven
me clan me mod
2005-05-15, 11:07 AM #16
Written French I'm considered fluent. Speaking...that's a different story. I often bumble my words or use wrong tense, "le/la", etc. I guess the speaking aspect just comes with practice. Not many francophones qui habitent à California au Sud.
Code to the left of him, code to the right of him, code in front of him compil'd and thundered. Programm'd at with shot and $SHELL. Boldly he typed and well. Into the jaws of C. Into the mouth of PERL. Debug'd the 0x258.
2005-05-15, 11:37 AM #17
Quote:
Shintock, you should be ashamed. :p

Ah crap. :(

I don't really use "asteure" when I speak, but I'll use "taleure" (shorthand for "earlier"). Ah man, I can't believe I didn't think of that.

Tabarnac. :(
2005-05-15, 4:13 PM #18
Quote:
Yep. To be exact, it's "a cette heure" in old french. The dialect is called 'jouale' and is spoken in and around the montreal region, and it's largely influenced by old french.

wtf mates

screw you montrealers, we speak just like you do.
"NAILFACE" - spe
2005-05-15, 5:44 PM #19
It varies from place to place. A c't'heure is pretty much common, but jouale is the dialect specific to the montreal region.
2005-05-15, 8:20 PM #20
Quote:
It varies from place to place. A c't'heure is pretty much common, but jouale is the dialect specific to the montreal region.

Man, you need to get out of the region a bit. Jouale is a lot worse around here (back home in Sept-Iles) than it is in Montreal. It took me a while to get used to it, people didn't understand a lot of things that I was saying. :p

↑ Up to the top!