Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Episode 3: Attack of the Commericalization
Episode 3: Attack of the Commericalization
2005-05-15, 7:03 PM #1
Holy commercialization batman, if I didn't know any better, I'd say Darth Vader sold out.

Off the top of my head, I can name the following associated merchendices that Starwars has been involved with in the past 3 months:

Verison
MnMs
Burger King
and Pepsi

What. The. Hell. We all know Lucas and his entire empire has made enough money off of starwars to choke China, so WHY is the entire starwars franchise becoming.... a franchise? Commercializing a Franchise is like smoking a roach smoking a roach. You're already high at that point, so why keep sucking money out of it?

JediKirby
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2005-05-15, 7:05 PM #2
lucas even played in this weeks episode of the OC more promotion++++
whenever any form of government becomes destructive to securing the rights of the governed, it is the right of the people to alter or to abolish it
---Thomas jefferson, Declaration of Independance.
2005-05-15, 7:06 PM #3
Hahaa i love your comparison. Either way, it's just the way the world works. You think Lucas is going "Yeah I think I'll completely whore myself out"...Promotions, ads etc...its just the kinda thing Big movie companies do.
2005-05-15, 7:08 PM #4
As long as there aren't product placements in the actual movie; I'm good.

*Qui-Gon pulls out Motorola phone, calls Obi-Wan*
"I need a midi-chlorian count on this blood sample I'm sending you"
*cut to Obi-Wan sitting at a computer displaying the Windows XP logo*
"Sure, as soon as I'm done my Big Mac"
Stuff
2005-05-15, 7:08 PM #5
Quote:
Originally posted by Raoul Duke
Hahaa i love your comparison. Either way, it's just the way the world works. You think Lucas is going "Yeah I think I'll completely whore myself out"...Promotions, ads etc...its just the kinda thing Big movie companies do.

But starwars doesn't NEED to do that! Starwars sells it's freaking self. I'm more than willing to believe that not even a single human being is going to go to that movie because they saw the mnm's commercial. They're going to go because they already know what starwars is.

And on a more hypocritical note; the burger king commercial is hilarious. I laughed more for that than I did Family Guy :-(

JediKirby
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2005-05-15, 7:10 PM #6
Quote:
Originally posted by jEDIkIRBY
But starwars doesn't NEED to do that! Starwars sells it's freaking self. I'm more than willing to believe that not even a single human being is going to go to that movie because they saw the mnm's commercial. They're going to go because they already know what starwars is.

And on a more hypocritical note; the burger king commercial is hilarious. I laughed more for that than I did Family Guy :-(

JediKirby

Not with the last two movies. IIRC, I & II didn't churn much of a profit. So the over comercialization of Star Wars is plan B.
Code to the left of him, code to the right of him, code in front of him compil'd and thundered. Programm'd at with shot and $SHELL. Boldly he typed and well. Into the jaws of C. Into the mouth of PERL. Debug'd the 0x258.
2005-05-15, 7:11 PM #7
i was about to post that. The Burger King commercial was awesome.
Think while it's still legal.
2005-05-15, 7:14 PM #8
yeah when i saw the burger king i was expecting him to hand darth some food... the way they did it was MUCH BETTER
eat right, exercise, die anyway
2005-05-15, 7:18 PM #9

And what are you complaining about?

I mean really.

And even the OT had rampant commercialization.

I mean, unless you're choosing to ignore the toy lines, and all those cereal box covers.

Not to mention all the television commercials those generated.

Also the amazingly large amount of merchandice generated since the ANH became a smash hit.

(Edit: I hate when I notice a typo only after someone quotes me)
2005-05-15, 7:26 PM #10
it's being whored out because it's popular... it's that simple.

Starwars is one of the biggest names in the world... it's hard to go around north america and not have someone somewhere know about starwars in some way, even if they only know parts like the whole "luke i'm your father" bit.

when something is popular, people will by a product if they slap the popular characters onto a cup and sell it with their happy meal.

after a while the big craze of the newest and one of the most anticiopated SW movies is over, some other movie will come out and BK, pepsi and other comapanies will whore out to them.
The Gas Station
2005-05-15, 7:35 PM #11
Quote:
Originally posted by Grant
after a while the big craze of the newest and one of the most anticiopated SW movies is over, some other movie will come out and BK, pepsi and other comapanies will whore out to them.

See: The Lord of the Rings.
Code to the left of him, code to the right of him, code in front of him compil'd and thundered. Programm'd at with shot and $SHELL. Boldly he typed and well. Into the jaws of C. Into the mouth of PERL. Debug'd the 0x258.
2005-05-15, 7:40 PM #12
Actually... I didn't really notice that many LotR promotions...

Mountain Dew is also doing some sort of Star Wars promotion.
2005-05-15, 7:42 PM #13
Being that they are owned by Pepsi...
2005-05-15, 7:42 PM #14
But I don't think LotR wasn't as commericalized as Star Wars (did they come out with LotR drinks, soda and M&Ms?). But maybe I'm not as observant.
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2005-05-15, 7:59 PM #15
there's also the snacks like what thins and those kinda crap. at least a dozen different snack products, and a dozen other different cereals. i work at target, i notice these things, haha.
2005-05-15, 8:03 PM #16
I agree you see it everywhere..However, I think its smart of Lucas. He is completely promoting the hell out of it in one last final effort to get everyone who isnt into star wars to go see it. Its the last movie, and we'll never see commercialization again. Also, he just has $$ in his eyes and wants to retire soon.
2005-05-15, 8:08 PM #17
* Genki munches on some Star Wars cereal while playing LEGO Star Wars and browsing Massassi
whoring out, where?
Holy soap opera Batman. - FGR
DARWIN WILL PREVENT THE DOWNFALL OF OUR RACE. - Rob
Free Jin!
2005-05-15, 8:17 PM #18
I really don't mind it. I like seeing Vader in these situations, and I like the products. I've got my 7-11 Vader cup, too many Lightsaber Spoons, and plan to get a Vader cookie jar and R2 cereal bowl.

I am reminded of a favorite Penny Arcade.
"I got kicked off the high school debate team for saying 'Yeah? Well, **** you!'
... I thought I had won."
2005-05-15, 8:47 PM #19
Its nothing new. In fact, I was watching a program on Star Wars today on VH1, and they showed some of the past commercials released for the OT. "Own dramatic Star Wars drapes." That's right, Star Wars drapes. Merchandise and Star Wars are nothing new, and have not gotten more rampant since the OT.
twitter | flickr | last.fm | facebook |
2005-05-15, 9:01 PM #20
You forgot Cheeze-Its.

mmmmm....Cheeeze-Its.
My girlfriend paid a lot of money for that tv; I want to watch ALL OF IT. - JM
2005-05-15, 9:39 PM #21
Quote:
Originally posted by Rob

And what are you complaining about?

I mean really.

And even the OT had rampant commercialization.

I mean, unless you're choosing to ignore the toy lines, and all those ceral box covers.

Not to mention all the television commercials those generated.

Also the amazingly large amount of merchandice generated since the ANH became a smash hit.

Yea.

Star Wars' hallmark in movie history isn't as being great movies, or even having special effects; they were the first movies to really introduce huge mass-merchendising.

Haven't you ever seen Space Balls?
2005-05-16, 12:06 AM #22
SW merchandise makes a ton more money than the movies do. Also, these companies have to be handing over tons and tons of money to get mentioned in hte same breath as Star Wars. What some of you are calling whoring, I call smart business. Lucas isn't having to pay for half, or more, of the promotion for RotS. That's genius.
Pissed Off?
2005-05-16, 5:35 AM #23
Seems to me that it's more for the other companies' benefit than for the film itelf... think of the little kids who will drag their parents into Burger King just because of a Star Wars related promotion. It'll be the upper-hand between Pepsi and Coke for many youngsters as well. I doubt it actually promotes the film itself that well really, everyone knows it's coming out.
Xbox Live/PlayStation Network/Steam: tone217
http://twitter.com/ourmatetone
2005-05-16, 5:54 AM #24
Quote:
Originally posted by AKPiggott
Seems to me that it's more for the other companies' benefit than for the film itelf... think of the little kids who will drag their parents into Burger King just because of a Star Wars related promotion. It'll be the upper-hand between Pepsi and Coke for many youngsters as well. I doubt it actually promotes the film itself that well really, everyone knows it's coming out.

Yeah, Lucas gains, but the promoters probably gain substantially more in comparison to what they would have had without association with the movie's release.
2005-05-16, 7:41 AM #25
You guys are talking about this like it's a problem. O_o
Democracy: rule by the stupid
2005-05-16, 9:01 AM #26
Quote:
Originally posted by Kieran Horn
You guys are talking about this like it's a problem. O_o

Took the words right out of my mouth.
obviously you've never been able to harness the power of cleavage...

maeve
2005-05-16, 9:50 AM #27
I don't think it's a problem at all. Makes the coming of the film seem more like a holiday or something.
Xbox Live/PlayStation Network/Steam: tone217
http://twitter.com/ourmatetone
2005-05-16, 11:03 AM #28
Unless you were comatose in 1999, all the stuff happening for ROTS shouldn't surprise you. At least this time we don't have Jar-Jar tongue suckers.
"We came, we saw, we conquered, we...woke up!"
2005-05-16, 11:26 AM #29
Quote:
Originally posted by Cazor
there's also the snacks like what thins and those kinda crap.

WHAT THINS
Moo.
2005-05-16, 11:33 AM #30
Quote:
Originally posted by A_Big_Fat_CoW
WHAT THINS

I DON'T SEE ANY THINS!

WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT?
2005-05-16, 11:50 AM #31
Quote:
Originally posted by Rob
I DON'T SEE ANY THINS!