Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → another hl2 question
another hl2 question
2005-05-20, 8:47 PM #1
I'm in the citadel
just killed the strider with the super grav gun
now there's a force-field in the way that had 3 energy ball things but I yanked em and it's still there. I thought of overloading it but it will only absorb/attract one energy ball thing for me.
how do I get past it?
</sarcasm>
<Anovis> mmmm I wanna lick your wet, Mentis.
2005-05-20, 9:06 PM #2
apparently, what I did was supposed to allow me to move on and it did I just had to reload, stupid glitch.
</sarcasm>
2005-05-20, 9:28 PM #3
I just beat it...and while the ending is defintely a cliff-hanger, I ****ing loved it.

I'm stoked, gonna do a quick run through the game again (first time took me a couple of months due to CS:S eating my time)
</sarcasm>
2005-05-20, 9:39 PM #4
Yeah I loved the ending... soooo cool.
2005-05-21, 9:58 AM #5
I just wish the AI didn't suck ***. Valve flat out lied about the AI system. Sure, then can find cover, and assault you, but they don't have "emotions" nor can they properly "hear" anything, nor can they "smell" you. Plus, your allied friends run INTO grenades 70% of the time rather then run away.
Got a permanent feather in my cap;
Got a stretch to my stride;
a stroll to my step;
2005-05-21, 11:49 AM #6
You must've had it on the default difficulty setting.
2005-05-22, 10:09 AM #7
Nope, on hard. I beat the game on hard. The AI is too predictable.

Don't get me wrong, they are pretty decent at attacking you and whatever, but they do too many predictable things.

For example, I toss a 'nade into a corner, with combine all around. One of more of them will "hear" this (but shoot a AR2 or something beside them and they do nothiing) and come running to stand in that exact spot. Now, you just sniper or shoot them as each of them dies and gets replaced by another combine until they are all dead. This works 70% of the time. The rest, they just don't "hear" a huge explosive 5ft from them.
Got a permanent feather in my cap;
Got a stretch to my stride;
a stroll to my step;
2005-05-22, 10:13 AM #8
What irritates me in games is when the AI goes too far to the opposite extreme, to the extent where they have God-like senses.

For example, in Nightfire, in that stealth level, I swear if those guards hear so much as a pin-drop they all flip out and suddenly 10 of them just beam in out of nowhere and alarms go off like crazy! :mad:
My JK Level Design | 2005 JK Hub Level Pack (Plexus) | Massassi Levels
2005-05-22, 12:17 PM #9
Worse is the AI with insta-headshot with the first round they fire.

After you toy around with the game, be sure to get Garry's Mod.
Pissed Off?
2005-05-22, 12:20 PM #10
What I hate is the AI for CS:S online...

Damn stupid hostages. Half the reason they die is because they just stop moving and you have to run back and get them. By that time the enemy sees you and shoots right at you. You're right by the hostages and they die.

Speaking of that though, I wish they put VIP mode back in CS:S.

On topic - I didn't find anything revolutionary about the AI either for HL2, but I still liked the game.
2005-05-22, 12:28 PM #11
Quote:
Originally posted by Sol
Nope, on hard. I beat the game on hard. The AI is too predictable.

At least it isn't the crap AI that Jedi Outcast / Jedi Academy has. At least in HL2, they actually make effort to dodge your attacks and not just stand in one spot and fire off small bursts. I swear, the AI in JO/JA was so bad that I actually felt pity for the mass of stormtroopers and aliens I was slaughtering. The AI in Jedi KNIGHT was a LOT better than JO/JA. I wonder what the hell Raven was thinking when they coded the AI and thought it was up to snuff. Pathetic.
The cake is a lie... THE CAKE IS A LIE!!!!!

↑ Up to the top!