Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Massassi Game Exchange
Massassi Game Exchange
2004-05-09, 12:22 AM #1
Would you trust someone enough to swap games over Massassi? Like, I have a bunch of old games that I don't play anymore, and I'm sure a lot of you to, too. So if we all post lists of the games we are willing to part with, we could do a game trader dealie over Massassi. One for One. Once you're done with a game, repost and and trade it again. That way, we can all get a chance to play any games we never got a chance to. Of course, you're not guaranteed to be able to get your games back, so only trade the ones you're willing to part with.

We just need to make like a central system where everyone mails their games at the same time or perhaps an intermediary where everyone mails to one person and that person waits till both games for each trade are present and then mails them on. That would result in two shippings, but everyone could include a couple of bucks in the game so the person could cover the cost and maybe make like a buck a trade for their trouble.

Any thoughts?

------------------
EvilMagic.net: Brian's Web Log
2004-05-09, 1:58 AM #2
The Something-Awful forums have a similar feature, called the "SA Mart" on which not only can people trade items, but buy and sell items from each other as well. They've managed to make it work quite well.

The question I would have would be whether or not it would be used enough. I know people (Jim7) have sold games to each other on these forums in the past, but I'm not sure enough people would take advantage of the feature for it to be worth it.

------------------
And everything under the sun is in tune, but the sun is eclipsed by the moon...
DSettahr's Homepage | Cantina Cloud
2004-05-09, 1:59 AM #3
Fantastic idea, I just suppose it would need its own forum?

The intermediary is a great idea, although I'd probably trust most peeps around here to not need it, but I'm just that way out!

[http://forums.massassi.net/html/smile.gif]

------------------
If at first you don't succeed, lower your standards.
2004-05-09, 4:46 AM #4
I'm all for it, myself. Although, we'd have to make some sort of trust factor into it. I"d hate to mail off my game and get nothing back, you know?

------------------
Prowling out of the tundra, swinging a jeweled meat hammer, cometh Outlaw Torn! And he gives a gutteral bellow:

"I'm seriously going to hump you until you scream like a banshee!"
obviously you've never been able to harness the power of cleavage...

maeve
2004-05-09, 4:48 AM #5
I'm all for it, but I wouldn't trust the US Postal system with money. sent Jim7 my money twice and the post office lost it...BOTH TIMES.

Massassi Netflix tehehe. Yay!

------------------
I’m not going to die, I’m going to see if I was ever alive. - Spike
It's not your right to decide whether they live or die. They deserve a chance! - Vash
Originally posted by Elana14: i would love a dong like that!
Think while it's still legal.
2004-05-09, 5:06 AM #6
Sounds like a good idea if its implemented properly
I trust some people here more than I do others.
------------------

[This message has been edited by MBeggar (edited May 09, 2004).]
[01:52] <~Nikumubeki> Because it's MBEGGAR BEGS LIKE A BEGONI.
2004-05-09, 5:12 AM #7
Yeah. I'd do it. I've got plenty of games I don't play anymore.

------------------
[19:59] Happy "Liar liar" dud: This is arguably one of the lowest points in my life.
[20:00] Happy "Liar liar" dud: I'm sitting here infront of my two computers wearing shorts and with no shirt, eating potato salad and orange juice, debating the existance of pants.
My Parkour blog
My Twitter. Follow me!
2004-05-09, 5:13 AM #8
somekind of three-persons-swap. Like one or another moderater recieve the first game and wait before the other to come. Then. If he has recieved the two games he send them to the people where they belong to. If one guy send his game and the other wont. Then he give the recieved game back to the one it belongs to

------------------
So,
He said: You freakin salmonfilet
I said: you tell that over here
He came to me and said: You freakin salmonfilet
Then we dronk to much and were singin: You freakin salmonfilet
2004-05-09, 5:21 AM #9
Sounds like a good idea.

I think most people would trust each other, but just in case I'm sure there's mods, admins, long-time members etc who wouldnt mind providing escrow. I wouldnt mind in the least for inter-Aussie exchanges.

------------------
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.

[This message has been edited by Spork (edited May 09, 2004).]
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
2004-05-09, 6:23 AM #10
You can trust me!! [http://forums.massassi.net/html/biggrin.gif]

<.<
>.>

------------------
Run Away!!
The tired anthem of a loser and a hypocrite.
2004-05-09, 6:42 AM #11
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by BurrBoy:
You can trust me!! [http://forums.massassi.net/html/biggrin.gif]

<.<
>.>
</font>

Your sig really sets that post off. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/biggrin.gif]

------------------
There is no signature
D E A T H
2004-05-09, 6:55 AM #12
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by DSettahr:
The Something-Awful forums have a similar feature, called the "SA Mart" on which not only can people trade items, but buy and sell items from each other as well. They've managed to make it work quite well.

The question I would have would be whether or not it would be used enough. I know people (Jim7) have sold games to each other on these forums in the past, but I'm not sure enough people would take advantage of the feature for it to be worth it.

</font>

<3 SA-mart

------------------
"She turned me into a newt!"
Pause
"Well I got better..."
"She turned me into a newt!"
Pause
"Well I got better..."
2004-05-09, 8:11 AM #13
Since most of us are games players, can you imagine the absolute wealth of unplayed games between us? I think it's a cracking idea, but what about people like me stuck out in the UK?

------------------
We are all dying to live, yet living to die...
A slightly more stripy Gee_4ce, and more than just Something British...

Visit the home of Corporal G on the Internets
2004-05-09, 8:15 AM #14
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Gee_4ce:
Since most of us are games players, can you imagine the absolute wealth of unplayed games between us? I think it's a cracking idea, but what about people like me stuck out in the UK?

</font>

you trade with the other UK massassians

------------------
LONG LIVE DREAMCAST!!!
eat right, exercise, die anyway
2004-05-09, 8:15 AM #15
What's going to stop people from burning copies of the games that get swapped? To me, it sounds like a great way to get free full-version games without having to go ISO hunting.

------------------
Old aunts used to come up to me at weddings, poking me in the ribs and cackling, telling me, "You're next." They stopped after I started doing the same thing to them at funerals.
2004-05-09, 8:25 AM #16
Well.. if anyone wants to try it out.. I really want Fallout 1 and 2, everyone always says how great they are, but I just cant find them

------------------
"Just remember -- No matter how bad things get, Northern Minnesota will always be there"
-- Garrison Keeler
"If you watch television news, you will know less about the world than if you just drink gin straight out of the bottle."
--Garrison Keillor
2004-05-10, 1:16 AM #17
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Pagewizard_YKS:
What's going to stop people from burning copies of the games that get swapped? To me, it sounds like a great way to get free full-version games without having to go ISO hunting.

</font>

What's going to stop people from shoplifting? What's going to stop people from downloading copyrighted software? What's going to stop people from beating up old ladies, taking their money and leaving them to die in a ditch? What's going to stop people from forcing their mothers through a woodchipper, cramming the remains inside cans and selling them to 7-11?

------------------
If you can read this, you need better glasses.
Looks like we're not going down after all, so nevermind.
2004-05-10, 4:35 AM #18
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Gee_4ce:
Since most of us are games players, can you imagine the absolute wealth of unplayed games between us? I think it's a cracking idea, but what about people like me stuck out in the UK?</font>

The most postage I have ever had to pay for a CD from the US to way out here is $7. Presuming the manual doesnt weigh a lot, seven bucks aint much really.

------------------
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.

[This message has been edited by Spork (edited May 10, 2004).]
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
2004-05-10, 5:13 AM #19
I think it's a great idea. I would prefer setting up a Paypall account if it came to money transactions though. If they're unable to pay that way, you could then allow for them to send you money in the mail. I have tons of old games that I'd be willing to trade or possibly sell.

------------------
www.MentatMM.com (status = down :/)
Napalm Death Squad (status = alpha)
2004-05-10, 7:47 AM #20
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Spork:
The most postage I have ever had to pay for a CD from the US to way out here is $7. Presuming the manual doesnt weigh a lot, seven bucks aint much really.

</font>

of course shipping between US and UK would only work for PC games (and i am fairly sure GBA games also are not region specific but not sure enough) unless the people have a console that can play the games from other regions....

i still say making region specific games and DVDs is retarded

------------------
LONG LIVE DREAMCAST!!!
eat right, exercise, die anyway

↑ Up to the top!