Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Final Fantasy 7: Converting NTSC (US) gameshark code to PAL (UK) with hex! Whelp!
Final Fantasy 7: Converting NTSC (US) gameshark code to PAL (UK) with hex! Whelp!
2005-05-25, 4:22 PM #1
I'm attempting to convert a cheat for Final Fantasy 7 PS1 (No Random Battles) from the US version to a UK (European PAL) version of the game.

Example:
Infinite Gil code for US and UK version

Infinite gil cheat for US: 8009d260 ffff
Infinite gil cheat for UK: 8009d12E ffff

Difference = US - UK = 132 hex = 306 decimal

The cheat I'm trying to convert is
No Random Battles
US: 8007173C 0000
My UK calculation: 8007160A 0000

The difference here is 132 hex or 306 decimal also, but for some reason the code isn't working (it causes unexpected display corruption in battles).

What could I be doing wrong? I've also tried to search the internet for the PAL no random battle code without any success.

References:
Listing of US/UK codes (without the random battle one)
Hex to Decimal Converter
Decimal to Hex Converter
2005-05-25, 4:30 PM #2
You WILL be attacked by people saying "LOL u suck u use cheatz"
Yeah, you stay here and take life seriously. I'll go and have some fun.
2005-05-25, 4:31 PM #3
LOL u suck u use cheatz
"Jayne, this is something the Captain has to do for himself"

"N-No it's not!"

"Oh."
2005-05-25, 4:44 PM #4
Does your gameshark have a code-finding tool?

If it does, go into an area with lots of random battles, start a search, then go to an area with no random battles and search for values that have changed to 0.
Detty. Professional Expert.
Flickr Twitter
2005-05-25, 5:35 PM #5
Quote:
Originally posted by Morpheus
You WILL be attacked by people saying "LOL u suck u use cheatz"

This is not a "cheat". If anything, no random battles make the game harder because your chracters have less opportunity to gain experience.

Quote:
Originally posted by DeTRiTiC-iQ
Does your gameshark have a code-finding tool?

If it does, go into an area with lots of random battles, start a search, then go to an area with no random battles and search for values that have changed to 0.

It doesn't.
2005-05-25, 7:43 PM #6
You need to cheat at FF7?

Stop gaming.

Seriously.
2005-05-26, 5:01 AM #7
Quote:
Originally posted by Rob

Stop gaming.

Seriously.

I'M NOT "CHEATING" IN THIS DAMN GAME. Pardon me for hacking the game for the purpose of not wanting to enter a random battle every step I take on the world map. What the heck is wrong with the people in this forum? Read my previous post before commenting.

That makes 3 completely useless posts out of 4. Way to go from spamming to being an ******* and not contributing anything to help me lessening random battles in the game.

EDIT: And by the way, even if I did use other cheats and I sucked too much to complete this game, what makes you think I'd give a darn to hear you lecture about it?
2005-05-26, 5:31 AM #8
Quote:
Originally posted by Rob

Stop gaming.

Seriously.

Stop posting. Seriously.
VTEC just kicked in, yo!
2005-05-26, 9:21 AM #9
Quote:
Originally posted by KnobZ
I'M NOT "CHEATING" IN THIS DAMN GAME. Pardon me for hacking the game for the purpose of not wanting to enter a random battle every step I take on the world map. What the heck is wrong with the people in this forum? Read my previous post before commenting.

That makes 3 completely useless posts out of 4. Way to go from spamming to being an ******* and not contributing anything to help me lessening random battles in the game.

EDIT: And by the way, even if I did use other cheats and I sucked too much to complete this game, what makes you think I'd give a darn to hear you lecture about it?

Lecture, where?

I just told you to stop gaming, seriously.
2005-05-26, 9:35 AM #10
Quote:
Originally posted by Simbachu
Stop posting. Seriously.
nope.
2005-05-26, 9:39 AM #11
This site didn't have any indication of what country the cheat is for, but it's different to both of the ones you posted so I figured you might want to try it.

No Random Battles (World Map)
8011627C 0000

Does it have to be hex, though? If it's the PC version there's bound to be trainers that do what you want, and if it's console, well...cheat disc, maybe?
2005-05-26, 9:44 AM #12
Quote:
Originally posted by Rob
Lecture, where?

I just told you to stop gaming, seriously.

And he already said before you posted that he wasn't cheating.

Grow up, seriously.
2005-05-26, 9:54 AM #13
Thats. Still. Cheating.

What, something isn't cheating because you say it isn't?

Hold on, I'm gonna go take a bajillion steroids, and play professional baseball.

BUT IT'S NOT CHEATING BECAUSE I SAID IT ISN'T!
2005-05-26, 9:57 AM #14
Why don't you just drop it
2005-05-26, 10:00 AM #15
Maybe he's just experimenting with the GameShark and it's codes. You can always do that, you know.
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2005-05-26, 10:02 AM #16
That doesn't make it not cheating.
2005-05-26, 10:10 AM #17
Quote:
Originally posted by Rob

Modifying a game to make game play more pleasant isn't exactly what I'd call cheating - especially since most of the intelligent conversations here are related to massive modifications of games. If anything he's making the game harder, while making it less annoying. It's kinda hard to kill a mini-boss when you're 10 levels lower than you should be.

But realistically if you want to call it cheating, then lets say for a minute he is cheating. What's the point of antagonizing someone asking for help? That's pretty weak dude.

Sorry for posting yet another useless reply knobz.
You fight like a dairy farmer!
2005-05-26, 10:38 AM #18
I am sad to report that I was right...
Yeah, you stay here and take life seriously. I'll go and have some fun.
2005-05-26, 11:08 AM #19
Quote:
Originally posted by Melekin
Modifying a game to make game play more pleasant isn't exactly what I'd call cheating - especially since most of the intelligent conversations here are related to massive modifications of games. If anything he's making the game harder, while making it less annoying. It's kinda hard to kill a mini-boss when you're 10 levels lower than you should be.

But realistically if you want to call it cheating, then lets say for a minute he is cheating. What's the point of antagonizing someone asking for help? That's pretty weak dude.

Sorry for posting yet another useless reply knobz.

Gamesharking out enemies in a game IS NOT MODDING.

The game is so simple easy for a reason, and thats to keep you MOVING. They could have easily added another 20 hours onto the game by making it hard as crap.

Thats almost as bad as people who had to cheat to get through Eternal Darkness.
2005-05-26, 3:39 PM #20
Rob, change your tone or leave the thread. Knobz asked a perfectly valid question and you have no place flaming him for it,
Detty. Professional Expert.
Flickr Twitter
2005-05-26, 6:04 PM #21
Quote:
Originally posted by Rob

Who gives a flying **** if he's cheating?
America, home of the free gift with purchase.
2005-05-27, 1:03 PM #22
Quote:
Originally posted by drizzt2k2
Who gives a flying **** if he's cheating?

I don't, I just hate silly logic.
2005-05-27, 3:46 PM #23
Quote:
Originally posted by KnobZ
The difference here is 132 hex or 306 decimal also, but for some reason the code isn't working (it causes unexpected display corruption in battles).

In order to convert the code they would have had to recompile it. That means the value you're looking for could be at a completely arbitrary address, not necessarily offset by a certain amount.
2005-05-27, 4:14 PM #24
I was about to say what Jon'C said.

2005-05-28, 8:42 AM #25
Same here
Yet Another Massassi Map | Sadly I Have a Blog Too

↑ Up to the top!