Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Keyboard/CPU Beeping at me
Keyboard/CPU Beeping at me
2005-05-29, 5:27 PM #1
Im trying to play a game, MOHAA, and lately whenever I try to press more than two keys at once, my CPU beeps at me. I used to be able to press about 4 keys before it beeps at me, now it only beeps when I press two, and any keys I press beyond the 2 have no effect except the beep. How can I "expand" the number of keys I hit at once? I got a new keyboard recently, could that have anything to do with it?
2005-05-29, 5:46 PM #2
Yes. You need a another new keyboard. USB keyboards and/or keyboards advertising 'full n-key rollover' have higher limits, like 4-10. Apparently.
2005-05-29, 7:52 PM #3
My USB keyboard doesn't have this problem, but my old PS2 keyboard did.
2005-05-30, 11:50 AM #4
Quote:
Originally posted by The Rules
No personal attacks, insults, or flames - This is one of our most important rules. Treat everyone with respect. If you do not agree with what someone is saying, do not flame or insult them. Flaming of any kind will not be tolerated. If you cannot refrain from flaming a person, take it elsewhere. If a person flames you, it is not ok to flame them back. Report the post immediately, and then ignore the situation. (If you have to, put the other user on ignore.) If you respond to a flame in kind, you will be dealt with just as harshly as the original person who flamed you.
D E A T H
2005-05-30, 12:00 PM #5
Was that really necessary? For ****'s sake, get over it already. Christ you're getting annoying.
2005-05-30, 1:49 PM #6
Let's all calm now. It's such a nice Memorial Day and I'd really don't want to ruin it by banning.

Carry on.
Code to the left of him, code to the right of him, code in front of him compil'd and thundered. Programm'd at with shot and $SHELL. Boldly he typed and well. Into the jaws of C. Into the mouth of PERL. Debug'd the 0x258.
2005-05-30, 1:52 PM #7
<3<3 JG

and, i've never had that problem
Holy soap opera Batman. - FGR
DARWIN WILL PREVENT THE DOWNFALL OF OUR RACE. - Rob
Free Jin!
2005-05-30, 2:20 PM #8
Quote:
Originally posted by Shintock
Was that really necessary? For ****'s sake, get over it already. Christ you're getting annoying.

Was just playing, didn't know you'd go on a hissy fit :p
D E A T H
2005-05-30, 2:24 PM #9
Its a Microsoft keyboard, too. Should have known when I dropped 15 bucks for the ****in thing.
2005-05-30, 2:26 PM #10
Quote:
Originally posted by Dj Yoshi
Was just playing, didn't know you'd go on a hissy fit :p

Jesus, it wasn't even funny the first dozen times.
2005-05-30, 2:29 PM #11
Quote:
Originally posted by Shintock
Jesus, it wasn't even funny the first dozen times.

I wasn't trying to be funny. It wasn't even in context. I was messing with you, playing around. Chill out. But I suspect we should take anything further than this to PMs anyways.

And yeah, my next keyboard's definitely going to be USB. I'm looking at that Saitek one...but it's expensive for a keyboard. Hrmm..
D E A T H
2005-05-30, 2:35 PM #12
rubber keyboards > all
Holy soap opera Batman. - FGR
DARWIN WILL PREVENT THE DOWNFALL OF OUR RACE. - Rob
Free Jin!
2005-05-30, 2:43 PM #13
Can't say I've ever used a rubber keyboard.
D E A T H
2005-05-30, 7:15 PM #14
i have one, but there hard to keep dust free, and you cant place papers on top of them cause all the keys will squish
Laughing at my spelling herts my feelings. Well laughing is fine actully, but posting about it is not.
2005-05-31, 12:59 PM #15
Quote:
Originally posted by Genki
rubber keyboards > all

I dunno man -- ever used a Saitek? I love mine.

Then again, I haven't used a rubber keyboard..so I dunno. :p
woot!
2005-05-31, 10:51 PM #16
Quote:
Originally posted by CadetLee
I dunno man -- ever used a Saitek? I love mine.

Then again, I haven't used a rubber keyboard..so I dunno. :p

My friend has a Saitek. They're nice, but I can't see dropping 60 bucks for one.
D E A T H
2005-05-31, 11:15 PM #17
I'm still looking around for a keyboard that looks like LCARS from Star Trek (the panels).
Code to the left of him, code to the right of him, code in front of him compil'd and thundered. Programm'd at with shot and $SHELL. Boldly he typed and well. Into the jaws of C. Into the mouth of PERL. Debug'd the 0x258.
2005-08-13, 12:38 PM #18
It's memorial day? Sweet sweetness! Time to uh... do something... I guess... crap.
2005-08-13, 12:53 PM #19
wtf?
2005-08-13, 12:56 PM #20
It's just keyboards in general. What keys are you pressing, I'll try to duplicate it on my saitek and see if there's any difference (also, are you using a USB or PS/2 input?)
D E A T H
2005-08-13, 1:05 PM #21
[QUOTE=Dj Yoshi]My friend has a Saitek. They're nice, but I can't see dropping 60 bucks for one.[/QUOTE]

I think I paid $35 for mine :)
woot!
2005-08-13, 1:27 PM #22
Well sorry to bring this old topic back up again, but I need help. I have a whole new computer, with a nice Logitech Elite Keyboard, and it STILL has this problem. I've updated the drivers and everything.

Is there any kind of tweak or some way to fix it?
2005-08-13, 1:29 PM #23
[QUOTE=Dj Yoshi]It's just keyboards in general. What keys are you pressing, I'll try to duplicate it on my saitek and see if there's any difference (also, are you using a USB or PS/2 input?)[/QUOTE]

I've tried both.
2005-08-13, 1:32 PM #24
ouch. this sounds like a software problem more than anything.
This is not the sig you are looking for. Move along.
2005-08-13, 1:52 PM #25
This is a standard error that reaches back through the history of computer keyboards. I have 5 different computers, with 5 different keyboards, some USB, some PS/2. They all jam up on basically the same keypress combinations. There are small tester programs so you can figure out which keys (when pressed at the same time) don't respond however, in your case, your best bet is to just rebind the game's controls to avoid every having to hit those (what was it, 2?) keys at the same time. The reason this occurs, is the keyboard sends a signal to your computer based on what keys you press, and pressing a clump of certain keys all at the same time hits a hardware buffer maximum; or something like that.

I don't know why this error occurs even with USB keyboards; I can only assume the signal standard wasn't changed and so the same buffer exists and so the same clumps of keys pressed at the same time jam up.

QM
2005-08-13, 2:02 PM #26
Yoshi, recently you've been posting stupid, insulting, annoying, flamebait crap that really pisses people off. Then a few posts down "LOL JUST KIDDING GUYS!" While if anyone posts anything suggesting that they might not be as skilled with computers, intelligent, or sharp of wit, or a joke that you don't like, you bite their head off. Lay off.
2005-08-13, 2:18 PM #27
[QUOTE=Connection Problem]Yoshi, recently you've been posting stupid, insulting, annoying, flamebait crap that really pisses people off. Then a few posts down "LOL JUST KIDDING GUYS!" While if anyone posts anything suggesting that they might not be as skilled with computers, intelligent, or sharp of wit, or a joke that you don't like, you bite their head off. Lay off.[/QUOTE]

Recently being....2 months ago? :p
2005-08-13, 2:55 PM #28
Sorry. But it's an old thread and well you know the rest.

Make a new one detailing this problem.

↑ Up to the top!