Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → how long is too long?
how long is too long?
2003-12-17, 5:32 PM #1
As most of you know, I now pay for hosting for OSC. After having the site go down MULTIPLE times I'm quite sick of downtime in general.

It's been 3 days since I could recieve a response from either the server my site is sitting on, or the server that the my webhost's site is sitting on.

My question is, if Fairmount guarantees 99.9% uptime, that gives them a leeway of 36 days and 12 hours of downtime in one year. How long should I actually wait before I demand compensation? Price taken off my next year's bill or whatnot. 36.5 days is unnacceptable. I never did the figuring when I saw the guarantee, but upon thinking about it, they need a 99.99% uptime policy or something. There's just too much leniance.

------------------
-=I'm the wang of this here site, and it's HUGE! So just imagine how big I am.=-
1337Yectiwan
OSC Returns!!
10 of 14 -- 27 Lives On
-=I'm the wang of this here site, and it's HUGE! So just imagine how big I am.=-
1337Yectiwan
The OSC Empire
10 of 14 -- 27 Lives On
2003-12-17, 5:35 PM #2
Wow, they can make you pay a monthly fee for a month of downtown! That would suck.
2003-12-17, 5:42 PM #3
Upon further rememberence of how percentages work, (it's 11:40 and I have to go to bed) I've come to the conclusion that they aren't even allowed 1 day of downtime if they hold true to their guarantee. I forgot to move decimals to make the percentage... 36.5 days would be 10%. .365 days would be .001 or .1% of downtime. So I'm well overdue with my guarantee. So how long should I wait before I demand compensation?

They're only allowed 8 hours 45 minutes and 36 seconds of downtime to hold to their awesome guarantee. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/mad.gif]

------------------
1337Yectiwan
OSC Returns!!
10 of 14 -- 27 Lives On

[This message has been edited by Yecti (edited December 17, 2003).]
1337Yectiwan
The OSC Empire
10 of 14 -- 27 Lives On
2003-12-17, 5:48 PM #4
Upon viewing a cached google vision of their site, it IS a 99.99% uptime guarantee. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/mad.gif]

------------------
1337Yectiwan
OSC Returns!!
10 of 14 -- 27 Lives On
1337Yectiwan
The OSC Empire
10 of 14 -- 27 Lives On
2003-12-17, 5:49 PM #5
Hmmm...36.5 days over 365 days. That's still over a month's loss of uptime. Not good. It should be at best a week out of a year total downtime expected. We all know that **** happens, sometimes beyond the control of the server maintainers. But over a month? Something tells me they have shoddy equipment and/or connection. It should be the primal goal of every hosting service to keep those servers up and running 24/7/365. If upgrades are needed, that's fine as long as your notified well in advance.

------------------
<scribbly handwriting barely resembling name>
Code to the left of him, code to the right of him, code in front of him compil'd and thundered. Programm'd at with shot and $SHELL. Boldly he typed and well. Into the jaws of C. Into the mouth of PERL. Debug'd the 0x258.
2003-12-17, 6:16 PM #6
That's too long Yecti.
Call, e-mail or show up at their door and complain.
If you don't get something from them, change hosts.

------------------
To artificial life, all reality is virtual.
2003-12-17, 6:45 PM #7
Come on dude, hop in the back of my 'Camino. We'll drive on down to their HQ and toss a few cocktails of the Molotov variety...

------------------
Fight the future.
And when the moment is right, I'm gonna fly a kite.
2003-12-17, 7:16 PM #8
Demand a refund and move elsewhere, period. You should not have loyalty to a company that doesn't hold their promises.
2003-12-18, 12:38 PM #9
Well, it seems that something catastrophic occured. I'm going to email you Brian because you probably have a little more insight to this type of thing than I. But the long and the short of it is, that it appears they've gone belly up, and cancelled all of their subscriptions today. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/frown.gif]

------------------
1337Yectiwan
OSC Returns!!
10 of 14 -- 27 Lives On
1337Yectiwan
The OSC Empire
10 of 14 -- 27 Lives On
2003-12-18, 12:43 PM #10
Ugh. OSC!! [http://forums.massassi.net/html/frown.gif]

They couldn't warn you any sooner about your subscription?
------------------
I have a signature.

[This message has been edited by MadQuack (edited December 18, 2003).]
I have a signature.
2003-12-18, 12:48 PM #11
I didn't get any warning at all. Nobody did. The whole service just went belly up I suppose.

It will go back up. I just need to iron this out. I'll be pissed if I have to eat the $96 bucks, but if I do, I do. I'll find another host. Anybody got any suggestions for a host that will give me 500MB space, 5000MB traffic monthly, and either PLESK or CPanel for around $96 a year with REALLY SUPER FAST server response times and isn't going down?

------------------
1337Yectiwan
OSC Returns!!
10 of 14 -- 27 Lives On

[This message has been edited by Yecti (edited December 18, 2003).]
1337Yectiwan
The OSC Empire
10 of 14 -- 27 Lives On

↑ Up to the top!