Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → That age old question
That age old question
2004-05-09, 1:42 PM #1
I need some good 3D modelling software to download. I asked this question before, but I can't find the thread, plus I didn't get that many responses. (It was in the JK editing forum.) Apparently, I didn't save the stuff I downloaded last time before I reformatted. Either that, or I can't find it. Preferably, I'd like something I can learn quickly, yet is powerful and can do curves (like Rhinoceros) but does not operate solely on curve rendering.

------------------
Genesis 22:2-5 - And God said unto Abraham "You must kill your son, Isaac." And Abraham said "What? I can't hear you! You'll have to speak into the microphone." And God said "Check, check, check, check. Jerry, can you pull the high end out. I'm getting some hiss up here."
Valuable Life Lesson: Frog + Potato Gun = Blindness

Catalog of Electronic Components - Complete IC data sheets
National Electrical Code® (NEC®) Online - Legal requirements for wiring projects.

[This message has been edited by DogSRoOL (edited May 09, 2004).]
Catloaf, meet mouseloaf.
My music
2004-05-09, 1:45 PM #2
Blender!

www.blender3d.com

------------------
[19:59] Happy "Liar liar" dud: This is arguably one of the lowest points in my life.
[20:00] Happy "Liar liar" dud: I'm sitting here infront of my two computers wearing shorts and with no shirt, eating potato salad and orange juice, debating the existance of pants.
My Parkour blog
My Twitter. Follow me!
2004-05-09, 1:46 PM #3
[Bah, happydud beat me to it. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]]

------------------
I used to believe that we must fight the future, lest change come without our consent. I was wrong. The truth is that we must embrace the future, for only with change can we remain the same.

[This message has been edited by GBK (edited May 09, 2004).]
And when the moment is right, I'm gonna fly a kite.
2004-05-09, 1:56 PM #4
I'm a diehard blenderhead. (even though I haven't used it in a while.)

I can /smell/ when a copy of blender is opened, anywhere in the world.

------------------
[19:59] Happy "Liar liar" dud: This is arguably one of the lowest points in my life.
[20:00] Happy "Liar liar" dud: I'm sitting here infront of my two computers wearing shorts and with no shirt, eating potato salad and orange juice, debating the existance of pants.
My Parkour blog
My Twitter. Follow me!
2004-05-09, 1:59 PM #5
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by happydud:
...I can /smell/ when a copy of blender is opened, anywhere in the world.</font>

Does it . . . does it stink? [http://forums.massassi.net/html/confused.gif] [http://forums.massassi.net/html/wink.gif]

------------------
I used to believe that we must fight the future, lest change come without our consent. I was wrong. The truth is that we must embrace the future, for only with change can we remain the same.
2004-05-09, 2:05 PM #6
No, it actually smells quite like a dozen blooming roses on a sweet summer day...

<.<
>.>
<.<

------------------
My Parkour blog
My Twitter. Follow me!
2004-05-09, 2:20 PM #7
The website consistantly hates my computer. When I try to download, all my IE windows stop responding.

------------------
Genesis 22:2-5 - And God said unto Abraham "You must kill your son, Isaac." And Abraham said "What? I can't hear you! You'll have to speak into the microphone." And God said "Check, check, check, check. Jerry, can you pull the high end out. I'm getting some hiss up here."

National Electrical Code® (NEC®) Online - Legal requirements for wiring projects.
Catloaf, meet mouseloaf.
My music
2004-05-09, 2:20 PM #8
I never could use blender.

then again, I have maya unlimited, so it doesn't matter.....

------------------
Old aunts used to come up to me at weddings, poking me in the ribs and cackling, telling me, "You're next." They stopped after I started doing the same thing to them at funerals.
2004-05-09, 2:28 PM #9
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by DogSRoOL:
...When I try to download, all my IE windows stop responding.</font>

...Then maybe you try a different browser? [http://forums.massassi.net/html/redface.gif]

------------------
2004-05-09, 2:31 PM #10
ftp://ftp.cs.umn.edu/pub/blender.org/release/Blender2.33/blender-2.33-windows.exe

Direct link, for yeh.

Assuming you're on Windows, if you're not tell me and I'll get you the appropriate download.

------------------
My Parkour blog
My Twitter. Follow me!
2004-05-09, 2:32 PM #11
I think its a safe bet he is using Windows... He did mention IE, after all. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/wink.gif]

------------------
2004-05-09, 2:42 PM #12
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by happydud:
ftp://ftp.cs.umn.edu/pub/blender.org/release/Blender2.33/blender-2.33-windows.exe

Direct link, for yeh.

Assuming you're on Windows, if you're not tell me and I'll get you the appropriate download.

</font>

Timed out - which is better than what IE and Yahoo's browser were doing.

------------------

[This message has been edited by DogSRoOL (edited May 09, 2004).]
Catloaf, meet mouseloaf.
My music
2004-05-09, 2:47 PM #13
Try here

http://planetmirror.com/pub/blender/release/Blender2.33/blender-2.33-windows.exe

or here

http://download.blender.org/release/Blender2.33/blender-2.33-windows.exe

------------------
My Parkour blog
My Twitter. Follow me!
2004-05-09, 3:10 PM #14
Yay! It worked.
Catloaf, meet mouseloaf.
My music
2004-05-09, 4:01 PM #15
*bows*

------------------
My Parkour blog
My Twitter. Follow me!
2004-05-09, 4:08 PM #16
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by GBK:
...Then maybe you try a different browser? [http://forums.massassi.net/html/redface.gif]

</font>

Fixed

------------------
"No good can ever come from staying with normal people"
-Outlaw Star
"Some people play tennis. I erode the human soul"
-Tycho, Penny Arcade
"I'm a Cannabal-Vegitarian. I will BBQ an employee if there is no veggie option"
-DX:IW
A Knight's Tail
Exile: A Tale of Light in Dark
Scions of Light[/i]
The Never Ending Story Squared[/i]
A Knight's Tail
Exile: A Tale of Light in Dark
The Never Ending Story²
"I consume the life essence itself!... Preferably medium rare" - Mauldis

-----@%
2004-05-09, 4:16 PM #17
Oh boy. If I had a dollar for every time someone asked this question, I'd be rich. If I had a dollar for every time I posted a response, I'd be doubly rich. If I had a dollar for every time someone followed my advice... well. Let's just say I wouldn't quit my day-job...

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">
Fresh meat...

I haven't tried G-Max but I'm sure, if it's from Discreet... it's great. This little guy is a branch off of Discreet's greatest program, 3D Studio Max, a 36,000 dollar modeling, animating, and rendering softwear.

Milkshape 3D is the program I use mostly, because it's simple. It's not free, but it only costs a measly 20 dollars, and it'll be the best program to get you started on modeling. You can try it for 30 days, if you don't believe me!

Anim8or isn't really my favorite modeling program, as it's about 10x more complex than it really has to be. And it's models always tend to end up sloppy and too fake looking, that is, in my opinion.

Wings 3D is a widely used program, and certainly one of the best. Although I don't use it (Because it doesn't seem to work on my computer, and I'm quite happy with MS3D), many here at Massassi do, and have come out quite productive with it.

I've never tried Blender 3D either, but I hear it's possibly the best that I've got on this list. It runs a lot like MS3D, which is most likely why I'm going to pick it up tonight and see what I can do with it. I'm pretty sure it's a free program, but it may require registration.

Rhino-3D was really popular, but for some reason you don't tend to find many models made with it. Very versitile tool.

I haven't used the following, but they really seem to do the job well. Most are free, others are sharewear (30-90 days on average)

AC3D
Looks like a great program, I'm going to download it.

Aartform Curvy
One of my picks for newbies to modeling. Start with this, and move on to the ones at the top.
[Edit]Just realized they've closed Beta testing, but if you can wait until February of 2004, do so. This program can get anyone into modeling.[/Edit]

Draw-3D
Another one of my newbie picks.

3D Canvas
A pretty limited modeling program, but quite productive. Good for newbies, but I'd prefer one of the two above this, because this one seems to 'Stupid' to help you learn to use the larger and more complex programs.

Materialize 3D
Basically a rendering program. Just download the trial version, if you like it, register it before the 30 days.

Character FX
A very sexy character animating and coordinate editor, but it's sharewear, so enjoy it while it lasts.

Aztec 3D
One of the few fully functional free programs.

Behemot
People who don't know how to spell made this program, I'd worry. It seems interesting though, granted it can convert pixels into models...

HexaSuper
Almost seems too good to be true, this program claims it can convert Splines into full blown 3D models... I don't trust it, but I'm downloading it anyways. If it works, or even half-works, it'll be certainly worth it.

3D Links has all of the sites above, pluss tons more that I wasn't too sure about, but could be great programs.

Whelp, now that I've compiled that insane list, I'll leave you with a final note:

Good luck.
</font>

I posted that on this thread. Since then, I tried all of those programs extensivelly, and stand behind the opinions that I first had with the programs.

JediKirby

------------------
"I was driving along listening to the radio, when Judas Priest comes on. It was 'You've got another thing coming.' All of a sudden, I enter 'VICE CITY RAMAGE MODE' and nearly ran some guy over"
- ]-[ellequin
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2004-05-10, 5:45 AM #18
Heh... I even posted in that thread. Maybe everything is on one of my other drives. Oh well, I'll just download all over again.
At least this time, I have DSL.

------------------

Catloaf, meet mouseloaf.
My music
2004-05-11, 7:41 AM #19
Anyone ever try Design Workshop?
Catloaf, meet mouseloaf.
My music
2004-05-11, 7:48 AM #20
I could never see how anyone can use Blender.

------------------
Run Away!!
The tired anthem of a loser and a hypocrite.

↑ Up to the top!