Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → What I hate most about computers...
What I hate most about computers...
2003-12-17, 2:29 PM #1
I love simple easy to diagnose computer problems. Gimme a fried video card or bum HDD anyday. What I hate, HATE, is these pissy little annoying phantom problems that seem to have no real pattern and come and go randomly.

Take our old computer, now used by my stepson to wage war in BF1942, it has this thing where the monitor will just turn itself off and the PC status lights all come on like it's doing a lot of activity (even though it isn't). This can happen when in windows or directly at start up or anywhere in between. Sometimes it is accompanied by various error messages (the latest being some kind of 'master disk' error which showed twice then disappeared).

This happens basically every 6 months...nothing special happens to announce it's arrival and usually a few days to a week later it just stops doing it with us doing anything special to get rid of it. Then it will run fine until it's next fit many months later.

Grr, stupid phantom PC problems....anyone else have a possessed PC?

------------------
Cantina Cloud | BCF | The Massassian & A Very Massassian Xmas
Corrupting the kiddies since '97
2003-12-17, 2:36 PM #2
Mine has an irritating habit of deleting my joystick drivers in the middle of a game.
2003-12-17, 2:38 PM #3
Yes, as a matter of fact... a friend of mine's is possessed with Windows ME [http://forums.massassi.net/html/redface.gif]

One of the major problems I hear about all the time is every time she opens windows media player and a few other various random dohickies, it launches starcraft... [http://forums.massassi.net/html/confused.gif]

------------------
Do you have stairs in your house?
Do you have stairs in your house?
2003-12-17, 2:40 PM #4
My computer used to make a wierd buzzing sound sometimes for no reason, like a fan brushing against a wire. After I kicked it a few times though it stopped. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]
Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side
2003-12-17, 3:17 PM #5
sometimes when I play KOTOR the CD drive sounds like its about to take off into orbit

------------------
Happy "Diseased" dud: You said I'd be like this guy. Boycotting everything..
Happy "Diseased" dud: ted kazcnisky. That's who it was.
Happy "Diseased" dud: Wait, That's the unibomer.
Happy "Diseased" dud: Wrong guy.
"If you watch television news, you will know less about the world than if you just drink gin straight out of the bottle."
--Garrison Keillor
2003-12-17, 3:28 PM #6
With my very old one, when I got mad at it, I kicked it. Eventually, a short in the restart buttons wiring developed, and everytime I kicked it, it'd reboot.

Most convienent.

At school in yearbook, Pagemaker has a tendency to just randomly decide to delete and/or corrupt a file beyond fixing. It's done it many times. Myself and the computer have words often. Usually short, to the point, four letter words.

------------------
Frogblast the Vent Core!

--End of Line--
"In the beginning, the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move." - Douglas Adams
Are you finding Ling-Ling's head?
Last Stand
2003-12-17, 3:40 PM #7
My old computer had problems deciding how big our hard drive was. At times, we could have 6 gigs left, and it would be convinced that that wasn't enough for a 200 MB installation.

It was really frustrating.

------------------
"LC Tusken: the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot"
Jack Chick preaches it
NMGOH
the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot - LC Tusken
2003-12-17, 3:42 PM #8
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Correction:
Yes, as a matter of fact... a friend of mine's is possessed with Windows ME [http://forums.massassi.net/html/redface.gif]

One of the major problems I hear about all the time is every time she opens windows media player and a few other various random dohickies, it launches starcraft... [http://forums.massassi.net/html/confused.gif]

</font>

maybe her computer wants her to play starcraft

------------------
LONG LIVE DREAMCAST!!!
eat right, exercise, die anyway
2003-12-17, 3:58 PM #9
It's called the "mavispoo virus."

------------------
"LC Tusken: the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot"
Jack Chick preaches it
NMGOH
the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot - LC Tusken
2003-12-17, 4:29 PM #10
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Run:
Mine has an irritating habit of deleting my joystick drivers in the middle of a game. </font>

Maybe it's a female computer and thus rejects the idea of having a joystick.

------------------
"We came, we saw, we conquered, we...woke up!"
"We came, we saw, we conquered, we...woke up!"
2003-12-17, 4:34 PM #11
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by ME on the topic: Anyone else got a wierd virus?:
As for the virus issue...My internet is acting WIERD. Very WIERD. 98% of the time, I can't close windows that have had Internet pages (online or offline) open in them. A bunch of times, it will just crash and then close ALL the folder windows I had open.
I don't know if it's a vius or a result of something my dad installed. He doesn't even know what's going onn.
</font>

I forgot to mention windo lockups when I'm on it.
GRRRR!!!! The thing crashed when I was trying to reply to this topic about 5 minutes ago, which really ticked me off!! The only redeeming quality of my computer now is Jedi Knight (and JO and Massassi, but more JK and Massassi)

Oh yeah, a couple years ago, my older Comp wanted to load TIE Fighter everytime I booted it up...BEFORE loading windows. Now THAT was wierd! I couldn't even get into windows at all. Then, lucky me, I shorted out the power supply, then a few years later, my dad got a new one, put it in, and somehow fixed the prob, but had to run windows in safe mode for a while.

------------------
It's Peanut Butter Jelly Time!
/Banana starts dancing

[This message has been edited by Darth Slaw (edited December 17, 2003).]
May the mass times acceleration be with you.
2003-12-17, 4:58 PM #12
My monitor has this thing when the display would be suddenly go into a shade of yellow. I'm guessing the blue channel fizzed out when it does this so the only reasonable solution to resolve it is to smack the monitor repeatly on the sides until the display goes back to normal. This usually requires about 1-17 smacks before it goes normal. I swear, if my computer had emotions, it would file for physical abuse. Probably emotion abuse too since it isn't uncommon for it to hear naughty four letter words coming from my mouth that is clearly directed towards it.

-- SavageX

------------------
"...and if you don't like that, then you need to be slugged in the face repeatedly, until my hands are soaked in blood. Have a nice day!"
http://www.savagex.net

[This message has been edited by SavageX378 (edited December 17, 2003).]
The cake is a lie... THE CAKE IS A LIE!!!!!
2003-12-17, 5:39 PM #13
which brings up the ovious question:

are PC's ment/built to fail?

------------------
IMPORTANT NOTICE PLEASE READ

Employees dying on the job are faling to fall down. THIS PRACTICE MUST STOP as it becmes impossible to distinguish between death and the natural movement of he staf.

Any employee found dead in an upright position will be dropped from the payroll.
Laughing at my spelling herts my feelings. Well laughing is fine actully, but posting about it is not.
2003-12-17, 5:43 PM #14
My computer just plain won't shut down properly, and randomly locks up. Oh wait, I was describing windows. NM

------------------
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke

"Never let your sense of morals prevent you from doing what is right." -Isaac Asimov

Never tickle the third foot!
"Flowers and a landscape were the only attractions here. And so, as there was no good reason for coming, nobody came."
2003-12-17, 5:44 PM #15
Our entire LAN loses its connection to the internet randomly. It doesn't seem to have any real cause, but it usually happens when more than one PC is connected to the internet.

------------------
The Matrix: Unplugged
2003-12-17, 7:12 PM #16
I woke up this morning, turned on my comp and now my system32 folder cannot be accessed manually (with Explorer), or by applications.

I'm on Linux until I figure this one out or find my Win2K Pro disc.
And that's not a bad thing (being on Linux). Lately I've only been needing Windows to game with.

------------------
To artificial life, all reality is virtual.
2003-12-17, 7:24 PM #17
Mine is possessed as hell. 6 months of prefect operation, then it will freeze 2 minutes after starting up for another 6. I've replaced every goddamn piece of hardware in the computer. Twice. The problem remains. Possessed. I used to think my dad was crazy for saying it, but ****, what the hell can I think now?

------------------
Have a good one,
Freelancer
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2003-12-17, 8:04 PM #18
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Evil_Tofu:
My computer used to make a wierd buzzing sound sometimes for no reason, like a fan brushing against a wire. After I kicked it a few times though it stopped. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]</font>

heh...I had the same problem back when we got our first computer in 1997, the "Gateway 2000" (when the term "2000" seemed futuristic). Kicking the thing repeatedly was the only way to stop the grinding noises it kept making, which usually only kept it quiet for another then minutes. piece of crap.

------------------
Pyro Universe The ultimate place for fireworks lovers! Learn how to put on your own show! Fireworks diagrams, instructions, pictures, safety tips, links, and a message board.
Pyro Universe The ultimate place for fireworks lovers! Learn how to put on your own show! Fireworks diagrams, instructions, pictures, safety tips, links, and a message board.

Boomtown Fireworks - Washington State fireworks retailer - huge selection!
2003-12-18, 12:48 AM #19
I can't play bf1942, it crashes to the desktop every 15 mins [http://forums.massassi.net/html/frown.gif]

I guess nobody has a perfect PC.

------------------
WARNING: THIS POST MAY CONTAIN TRACES OF PEANUT!!!
TheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWho
SaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTh
eJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSa
ysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJ
k
WhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSays
N
iTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkW
2003-12-18, 4:19 AM #20
I format my harddrive and reload windows several times a year, so the only problems I have are the ones I cause. Otherwise this computer is rock solid.
2003-12-18, 4:24 AM #21
My current record for reformats and reinstalls is 10 in month with Win98.

I ended up finding out my HD was bad which was causing many of the problems.

Yes... a very annoying month that was.

------------------
Frogblast the Vent Core!

--End of Line--
"In the beginning, the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move." - Douglas Adams
Are you finding Ling-Ling's head?
Last Stand
2003-12-18, 8:06 AM #22
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Jaiph:
I love simple easy to diagnose computer problems. Gimme a fried video card or bum HDD anyday. What I hate, HATE, is these pissy little annoying phantom problems that seem to have no real pattern and come and go randomly.

Take our old computer, now used by my stepson to wage war in BF1942, it has this thing where the monitor will just turn itself off and the PC status lights all come on like it's doing a lot of activity (even though it isn't). This can happen when in windows or directly at start up or anywhere in between. Sometimes it is accompanied by various error messages (the latest being some kind of 'master disk' error which showed twice then disappeared).

This happens basically every 6 months...nothing special happens to announce it's arrival and usually a few days to a week later it just stops doing it with us doing anything special to get rid of it. Then it will run fine until it's next fit many months later.

Grr, stupid phantom PC problems....anyone else have a possessed PC?

</font>

hmmmm....

My current PC randomly freezes/restarts/comes up with kernel32.dll errors/makes weird beeping noises/refuses to turn the monitor on...

I need to get it fixed [http://forums.massassi.net/html/smile.gif]

------------------
Rah!
/fluffle
2003-12-18, 9:08 AM #23
My computer has this weird habbt of deleting .vxd files at random times. Rebuilding .vxd is always fun. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/rolleyes.gif]

------------------
I munch C code for breakfast and have enough room left over for a kernel debugging.
Free your mind, use Open Source.
2003-12-18, 9:38 AM #24
Sometimes my pc emits this very annoying high-pitched sound that drives me crazy. Its entirely random.

------------------
"Hass, alkoss, gyarapíts: s a haza fényre derûl!"

-Kölcsey Ferenc
2003-12-18, 10:05 AM #25
My USB port quits sometimes. My touchpad can move the mouse sometimes.

------------------
Snail racing: (500 posts per line)
---@%
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2003-12-18, 10:16 AM #26
I've reformatted like 5-6 times in 2 weeks because of a virus and Windows 2000. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/frown.gif]

------------------
Massassian since: March 12, 2001

[=-"The hardest thing is to forgive, but God does;
Even if you murdered or robbed, years wrong, but God loves;
Take one step toward him, he takes two toward you;
Even when all else fail, God supports you." - Nas
-=]
Got a permanent feather in my cap;
Got a stretch to my stride;
a stroll to my step;
2003-12-18, 10:33 AM #27
Another thing I forgot to mention about mine is that it takes at least 10 minutes to boot up Windows 2000. It didn't used to take nearly as long, and it shuts down in one measly minute.

My Win95 computer starts up in 1 minute and shuts down in 15-20 seconds, but it doesn't have 3dAccel. I have to run certain OpenGL programs like Joke and PuppetJedi on that one only, because it will crash my other one (Win2000 one with 3dAccel). You tell ME what's messed up here!

------------------
It's Peanut Butter Jelly Time!
/Banana starts dancing
May the mass times acceleration be with you.
2003-12-18, 10:51 AM #28
Jesus Christ, am I the only one that doesn't suffer through this trash? Seems to happen to all my friends too [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]

------------------
Eat the pudding.
2003-12-18, 11:16 AM #29
My problem is my ISP. Piece of sh**.

------------------
Here Ociffer, hold my beer while i look for my license.
*Remnant Temple beta taking a bit longer than planned but ill get it done*
Light And Darkness
I was just petting the bunny, and it went into the soup can, and part of my hand went with it. - Red vs Blue
2003-12-18, 1:51 PM #30
Haha, beautiful. The old pc refused to recognise my dvd-rom drive all of a sudden....so I swapped it out with the old cd writer, which it now recognises fine (but used to have a fit over).

Thought maybe the dvd-rom was busted but nope...works fine in this new PC. God I hate that old POS.

------------------
Cantina Cloud | BCF | The Massassian & A Very Massassian Xmas
Corrupting the kiddies since '97

↑ Up to the top!