Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → My downloaded files are on drugs or something....
My downloaded files are on drugs or something....
2004-05-11, 8:08 AM #1
I mean, look at this:

[http://www.pwizard.com/screwedupfiles.jpg]

Any idea what might have caused this? (I downloaded the SFTPdev file very recently, so it wasn't affected by all this)

(Virus / malware checks came up clean)

Windows won't let me delete these files either (it says it cannot read from the source file or disk). I'll probably have to do it from within linux. My drive is fat32 so linux could probably make changes to it safely.

I don't use NTFS on this machine because I use linux on it too, and linux can't write to NTFS disks without the possibility of screwing everything up, or so I hear.

------------------
Old aunts used to come up to me at weddings, poking me in the ribs and cackling, telling me, "You're next." They stopped after I started doing the same thing to them at funerals.

[This message has been edited by Pagewizard_YKS (edited May 11, 2004).]
2004-05-11, 8:15 AM #2
Virus? (I bet)

Corrupt Files?

Evil Black Bars of Death on Adress Bar?

------------------
Snail racing: (500 posts per line)

-------@%

The Massassi JO/JA Single Player contest info
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2004-05-11, 10:57 AM #3
That looks very ill - is it affecting other folders or just that, and are these files (bizarre though it may sound) coming from a country like Russia, Japan or similar?

------------------
We are all dying to live, yet living to die...
A slightly more stripy Gee_4ce, and more than just Something British...

Visit the home of Corporal G on the Internets
2004-05-11, 11:57 AM #4
One time when I wrote a program in C++, I made some error in how I opened/wrote to files, and it created a file with random characters and they could not be deleted (not by Windows anyway; DOS got them off with no trouble).
Maybe a similar problem (or probably not).

------------------
Bond, Power, CA, The Force, Saber, IC, Epic, Oily Mexican Food, BG, /\ |> /\ /\/\, Sentences.
Now you know where I've been.
May the mass times acceleration be with you.
2004-05-11, 1:48 PM #5
I notice the directory names all have 3 letter extensions...

I dont think this is a virus, it looks more like a program thats screwed up. Is it still happening, or has it stopped?

------------------
I used to believe that we must fight the future, lest change come without our consent. I was wrong. The truth is that we must embrace the future, for only with change can we remain the same.
And when the moment is right, I'm gonna fly a kite.
2004-05-11, 1:56 PM #6
That's what seems to happen to corrupted files. That happened to me once, and eventually my whole system became corrupt and I had no other choice but to reformat.

Could be something else though.. For your sake, I hope so. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/frown.gif]
2004-05-11, 2:03 PM #7
Did you happen to download them off of a foriegn language site? [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]

------------------
"If I had a dollar for every time I had sixty cents, I would be Canada."

"Should slice indices start at 0 or 1? My compromise of 0.5 was rejected without, I thought, proper consideration."

--@%
Ban Jin!
Nobody really needs work when you have awesome. - xhuxus
2004-05-11, 2:21 PM #8
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by GBK:
I notice the directory names all have 3 letter extensions...

I dont think this is a virus, it looks more like a program thats screwed up. Is it still happening, or has it stopped?

</font>

I think its stopped.

I've been thinking about it all day, and I've narrowed it down to something that happened recently. Although i'm not ruling out a virus attack, I'm willing to give credibility to this theory:

my foot accidentally tripped the surge protector on the floor and shut off the computer, which came back on almost immediately.

I got a light blue scandisk screen when windows was booting again, but since it wasn't the dreaded dark blue one I let scandisk finish and all seemed to be well.

I guess not, eh?

I have a damage report, this problem took out the following programs and their directories:

Quicktime
Winmx
Adobe Premiere
Outlook Express (never use it anyway, no big deal)
Wings 3d
My Music. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/frown.gif]

------------------
Old aunts used to come up to me at weddings, poking me in the ribs and cackling, telling me, "You're next." They stopped after I started doing the same thing to them at funerals.

2004-05-11, 2:28 PM #9
Im seeing that these files are bloody huge. Did you really download a ****ing 2gb file?!?!

------------------
I used to believe that we must fight the future, lest change come without our consent. I was wrong. The truth is that we must embrace the future, for only with change can we remain the same.
2004-05-11, 2:31 PM #10
Quote:
Im seeing that these files are bloody huge. Did you really download a ****ing 2gb file?!?!

</font>

nope. The file sizes are probably all screwed up and are far from accurate. Only DVD isos would be that big, and you never see those anyway.

My drive is still about 90% free, so either that or my drive is MUCH larger than documented. I doubt that, b/c i still have 8gb unpartitioned space that i'm saving for a future linux install when I have time to get around to it. My current windows partition is 152 GB [http://forums.massassi.net/html/smile.gif]

------------------

2004-05-11, 2:42 PM #11
I was planning on ghosting my system so i could quickly restore in case s*** like this ever happened, but windows xp never stays pristine long enough for me to create a backup drive image. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/smile.gif]

------------------
2004-05-11, 6:51 PM #12
windows and pristine in the same sentence, that was FUNNY

------------------
Truth is in the eye of the beholder.
Forum Rules
Little angel go away
Come again some other day
Devil has my ear today
I'll never hear a word you say
2004-05-11, 7:02 PM #13
Those are language placeholders. Perhaps the files got jumped into a differen language or something. Maybe a Unicode number transfer if those filenames were all in numbers....

/end MyThoughts.exe

------------------
"If electricity comes from electrons, does morality come from morons?"
"If electricity comes from electrons, does morality come from morons?"
2004-05-12, 5:20 AM #14
More files eaten:

Macromedia Flash MX
Macromedia Authorware
Winrar

Is it reformat time, or can I fix this?

------------------
2004-05-12, 5:33 AM #15
/me looks his 4 month uptime. /me laughs.

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Pagewizard_YKS:
...Is it reformat time, or can I fix this?</font>

...The three 'R's of win32 troubleshooting - Reboot, Reinstall, Reformat.... Yeah, go for it. Itll doubtless be easier than trying to track down the problem.

------------------
2004-05-12, 5:36 AM #16
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by MaxisReed:
Those are language placeholders. Perhaps the files got jumped into a differen language or something. Maybe a Unicode number transfer if those filenames were all in numbers....</font>

Yeah, that *could* be it, except that all the files /and/ the directories conform to the old 8.3 standard... No, something else is going on.

Page, what did you use to download these things? Getright? DAP? IE?

------------------
2004-05-12, 5:37 AM #17
Quote:
Yeah, that *could* be it, except that all the files /and/ the directories conform to the old 8.3 standard... No, something else is going on.

Page, what did you use to download these things? Getright? DAP? IE?

</font>

I use flashget.

------------------

↑ Up to the top!