Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Playstation Portable (PSP)
Playstation Portable (PSP)
2004-05-11, 2:05 PM #1
[http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/2004/news/05/11/psp/psp_screen001.jpg]

http://www.gamespot.com/news/2004/05/11/news_6097116.html

Unfortunately I don't have Gamespot Complete, but from the screenshots, I would say the graphics are equivalent of the PS2. I was kind of disappointed that there wasn't an analog stick though, oh and it's missing the L2 and R2 button.

Games announced
Games
CAPCOM
Vampire Chronicle (tentative name, fighting)
Devil May Cry Series (tentative name, stylish action)
Viewtiful Joe Series (tentative name, VFX action)

GENKI
Tokyo Xtreme Racer (racing)

KOEI
Shin Sangoku Musou (tentative name, action)
Strategy Game (tentative name, simulation)
Table Game (tentative name, table game)

KONAMI
Ys VI: The Ark of Napishtim (tentative name, action-RPG)
Sports Game: Soccer (tentative name, soccer)
Sports Game: Baseball (tentative name, baseball)
Mahjong Kakutou (tentative name, table game)
Meikyu Tansaku Gata Monster Shooting (tentative name, FPS)

KONAMI COMPUTER ENTERTAINMENT JAPAN
Metal Gear Acid(tentative name, genre TBA)

CYBER FRONT
Koron (puzzle/action)

SUCCESS
Kumo nofu ~ Raibo ~ (communication/adventure)
Sho Mate (table game)
Zooo (puzzle)

SQUARE ENIX
TBA (genre TBA)

SEGA
Puyo Puyo Fever (action-puzzle)

Project S (tentative name, genre TBA)

SONY COMPUTER ENTERTAINMENT
Gran Turismo 4 Mobile (tentative name, driving)
Ape Escape (Sarugetcha in Japan, tentative name, action)
Tenken Chimon (tentative name, action RPG)
Doko Demo Issho (tentative name, speaking game)
Hot Shots Golf (Minna no Golf in Japan, tentative name, golf game)

TAITO
Puzzle Bobble (puzzle)

DORASU
Dorasurotto (pachinko simulation)

NAU PRODUCTION
Intelligent License (tentative name, puzzle quiz)
Onryou no Mura (tentative name translates to "Village of Ghost), horror/adventure)

NAMCO
Tales of Eternia(RPG)
New Ridge Racer (tentative name, race)
New Puzzle game (tentative name, puzzle)

NIPPON ICHI SOFTWARE
Makkai Wars (tentative name, simulation-RPG)

HUDSON
Tengai Makyo Series (tentative name, Japanese-style RPG)
Bomberman Series (tentative name, action)
The Tower of Purgatory (Sci-fi action/RPG)

BANDAI
Gagharv (tentative name, RPG)
Mobile Suit Gundam (tentative name, genre TBA)

BANPRESTO
Super Robot Taisen (tentative name, genre TBA)

FROM SOFTWARE
Armored Core Formula Front (mech game)

TOMY
Action Game (action)

YUKES
Pro Wrestling (tentative name, sports)

WORK JAM
Tantei Shinguji Santarou (tentative name, adventure)

Well Sony's vendetta with Nintendo has now extended into the handheld market, almost like some Cold War....

[This message has been edited by Cloud (edited May 12, 2004).]
2004-05-11, 2:17 PM #2
DS > PSP [http://forums.massassi.net/html/smile.gif]

Actually ...The DS has alot of new features, but graphically the PSP blows the DS out of the water. the DS has a little better then N64 graphics...the PSP looks like PS2 graphics.

------------------
OSC Empire | A.H.N.U.L.D.
[Jim7 PING reply]: 666secs

[This message has been edited by SAJN_Master (edited May 11, 2004).]
Think while it's still legal.
2004-05-11, 2:21 PM #3
/me waits for MS entry

------------------
Truth is in the eye of the beholder.
Forum Rules
Little angel go away
Come again some other day
Devil has my ear today
I'll never hear a word you say
2004-05-11, 2:31 PM #4
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Crimson:
/me waits for MS entry</font>

Kakdamn, I hope not.

------------------
I used to believe that we must fight the future, lest change come without our consent. I was wrong. The truth is that we must embrace the future, for only with change can we remain the same.
And when the moment is right, I'm gonna fly a kite.
2004-05-11, 2:50 PM #5
Now I am angry [http://forums.massassi.net/html/frown.gif] I just saw the DS, now this thing has to come along with OMFGKAKDAMN graphics...*hissy fit* WHY WHY WHY!!!

------------------
2004-05-11, 2:52 PM #6
this looks so much better than the DS. i mean... how many times does nintendo have to remake the damn gameboy? im srticking with my original gray brick, and GBA, and might pick this thing up, since i dont have a PS2.

------------------
There are two asses in Massassi... and I'm one of them.
The Matrix Unplugged|My Portfolio|My Levels
2004-05-11, 3:02 PM #7
The DS has out dated graphics (still 3d), but it has a touch screen, dual screen (Not really impressive, that PSP has widescreen so sexy), voice regocnition, and wireless multiplayer. Meh. I dunno. I won't get either one till I get a job.

------------------
2004-05-11, 3:08 PM #8
I hate sony, but I'd proably go with the PSP over the DS, the DS has a touch screen, wireless multiplayer, voice recognition and all that...but the games on it, I can just play for GC and with better graphics..the PSP has a huge widescreen and nice graphics.

------------------
2004-05-11, 4:00 PM #9
I'm still rooting for DS over PSP right now.

As Nintendo has said, this is NOT the successor to Gameboy Advance. They are testing new features as well. Also, graphics are not the wave of the future (As in, graphics do not impress people as much as 5 years ago). They are an important part, but like Nintendo said - graphics don't sell games alone anymore.

Personally, I can NOT wait for the Super Mario 64 x4 game they showed. That just sounds fun to me - as it's tying a nogastalia type feeling with the past and expanding it.

Plus, I give Nintendo props for trying new things and willing to take risks.
2004-05-11, 4:01 PM #10
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Demon_Nightmare:
(As in, graphics do not impress people as much as 5 years ago)
</font>

Hahahahahahahahaha. Sorry, that was just... yeah.. haha.

------------------
There are two asses in Massassi... and I'm one of them.
The Matrix Unplugged|My Portfolio|My Levels
2004-05-11, 4:19 PM #11
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">“DS is deceptively amazing. … Touch screen is a very blank canvas for a game designer to be able to design their own input features. … DS really could be a killer to PSP. … I really think the Nintendo DS could kick the crap out of Sony PSP.”
– Kevin Ray, chief technology officer, Majesco</font>

------------------
Because you're as bored as I am
"This world is made of love and peace!"
"Let's live today, let's live tomorrow, and let's live the day after that, even if it means living in eternal pain."
- Vash the Stampede
"I got kicked off the high school debate team for saying 'Yeah? Well, **** you!'
... I thought I had won."
2004-05-11, 4:22 PM #12
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by GBK:
Kakdamn, I hope not.

</font>

it will be too big to hold in your hands anyway. they'll just call it MiniBox.

------------------
Forum Rules
Little angel go away
Devil has my ear today
2004-05-11, 4:25 PM #13
It'll be the size of a normal XBox, jsut with an LCD screen welded on top.

------------------
"No good can ever come from staying with normal people"
-Outlaw Star
"Some people play tennis. I erode the human soul"
-Tycho, Penny Arcade
"I'm a Cannabal-Vegitarian. I will BBQ an employee if there is no veggie option"
-DX:IW
A Knight's Tail
Exile: A Tale of Light in Dark
Scions of Light[/i]
The Never Ending Story Squared[/i]

[This message has been edited by Noble Outlaw (edited May 14, 2004).]
A Knight's Tail
Exile: A Tale of Light in Dark
The Never Ending Story²
"I consume the life essence itself!... Preferably medium rare" - Mauldis

-----@%
2004-05-11, 4:35 PM #14
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Cazor:
Hahahahahahahahaha. Sorry, that was just... yeah.. haha.

</font>

Is that arguing the point, or are you agreeing?

Don't get me wrong, people still go gaga over graphics. But the implications of graphics won't carry a game as far.

Granted: If a game has crappy graphics - most people won't like it. But if a game has INCREDIBLE graphics - people still want more then just grahpics out of a game now.

Anyone look at Rogue Squadron?

When it first came out on N64, got awesome reviews. Considered one of the best looking games for the system, and the game was fun.

GC - First Rogue Squardon looked incredible, but not as high reviews. Next Rogue Squardon made the first look bad, yet it gets the worse reviews of all.

What I'm saying is that the reason RS is not considered the be all to end all game is because the gameplay is pretty 'blah'.

Graphics really pulled up RS1 and made it a highly purchased title, but better graphics could not stop RS3 from getting bad reviews. As GAMEPLAY is where people will be hooked by a game. But I remember back in the NES/SNES/etc and the PC market when everyone would always be like "Dude! This game looks sooooo amazing". Now it does not have that same effect on lots of people - as more and more care mainly on gameplay.
2004-05-11, 5:14 PM #15
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Cloud:
I was kind of disappointed that there wasn't an analog stick though, oh and it's missing the L2 and R2 button.</font>

Yeah, amazing omissions. 3 things they really should not have left out.

------------------
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
2004-05-11, 6:39 PM #16
What it now misses is a TV built inside of it.

Or then not. However, I am looking forward to see this thing released.

------------------
<landfish> FastGamerr > Satan
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2004-05-11, 6:44 PM #17
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Spork:
Yeah, amazing omissions. 3 things they really should not have left out.

</font>

Can't tell immediately if that was sarcasm or not. But, an analog stick would've been nice. It's just that console gamers have become so used to them, that it seems unnatural to not have one. R2 and L2 - eh.

------------------
Our very existence is at stake

Yay! I can finally join the snail-racing crew.

-@%

[This message has been edited by Ric_Olie (edited May 11, 2004).]
Marsz, marsz, Dąbrowski,
Z ziemi włoskiej do Polski,
Za twoim przewodem
Złączym się z narodem.
2004-05-11, 6:47 PM #18
I thought it did have R1 and L1...

------------------
Roach - Caught in the war of hemispheres.
0 of 14.
omnia mea mecum porto
2004-05-11, 6:54 PM #19
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Noble Outlaw:
I'll be the size of a normal XBox, jsut with an LCD screen welded on top.

</font>

they'll cut the size by 10%, but this will raise the weight by 40%
[edit: Roach, he said L2 and R2, not 1 [http://forums.massassi.net/html/wink.gif]
------------------
Forum Rules

[This message has been edited by Crimson (edited May 11, 2004).]
Little angel go away
Devil has my ear today
2004-05-11, 7:18 PM #20
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Ric_Olie:
Can't tell immediately if that was sarcasm or not. But, an analog stick would've been nice. It's just that console gamers have become so used to them, that it seems unnatural to not have one. R2 and L2 - eh.</font>

Not sarcasm... I really do think they should have given it an analogue stick and shoulder buttons [http://forums.massassi.net/html/smile.gif]

------------------
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
2004-05-11, 7:20 PM #21
Alright then. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/smile.gif]

------------------
Our very existence is at stake

Yay! I can finally join the snail-racing crew.

-@%
Marsz, marsz, Dąbrowski,
Z ziemi włoskiej do Polski,
Za twoim przewodem
Złączym się z narodem.
2004-05-11, 7:30 PM #22
Ah, yes, I see...meh, I think I'll manage just fine with 2 shoulder buttons.

------------------
0 of 14.
omnia mea mecum porto
2004-05-11, 9:29 PM #23
The reason that I like the GBA is that it does something no other console does; cool 2d games (albeit at an atrociously high price. They're saying it costs as much to make Metroid: Zero Mission as to make a brand new PC game??). I don't play the GBA anywhere other than my bed and desk, anyway, so the only reason I have one is the games. If they start having 3d then the DS will just be a poor man's Game Cube, because anything you can do on a N64 you can do better on a Game Cube...
2004-05-11, 10:04 PM #24
my question... is how long does it take before the PSP gets so hot it fuses with your hands? there has got to be heat issues if it can handle graphics like in that MGS screen i saw

------------------
LONG LIVE DREAMCAST!!!
eat right, exercise, die anyway
2004-05-12, 2:15 PM #25
The new Metal Gear game is known as Metal Gear Acid. I think IGN said it might be a multiplayer Metal Gear.

[http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/2004/news/05/11/mga/mga_screen001.jpg]

[http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/2004/news/05/11/mga/mga_screen002.jpg]

[http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/2004/news/05/11/mga/mga_screen003.jpg]

Oh and that thing below the D-pad that we thought was a speaker. It is actually the analog stick except you can't press it down.
2004-05-12, 2:36 PM #26
Some more screenshots

[http://www.pspinsider.com/screens/album31/aaa.jpg]

[http://www.pspinsider.com/screens/album28/aaa.jpg]

[http://www.pspinsider.com/screens/album23/aab.jpg]

[http://www.pspinsider.com/screens/album13/aam.jpg]

[http://www.pspinsider.com/screens/album07/aaf.jpg]
2004-05-12, 4:48 PM #27
I honestly think the DS is going to blow this thing out of the water. The PSP has more impressive graphics - I don't think the PSP is quite up to the PS2's level, but it comes close. A lot closer than the DS comes. But really, when you come right down to it amazing graphics isn't the main thing on the minds of consumers. If graphics were even half as important as some of you think the Xbox would have been a reasonable success (as opposed to the animated corpse of a laughable console kept alive only because of Microsoft's fat pocketbook).

The DS has huge, colossal advantages over the PSP. Much like the PS2 at its release, the DS has an established title base of tens of thousands of games - every single game made for a Nintendo handheld before it. That's a pretty huge library. A lot of the people who are major handheld gamers have a large library of games for it already, and they'd be far more inclined to pick one up than the Sony offering.

The DS has more screen real-estate, even though each individual screen is smaller than the big honking widescreen in the PSP. A large, single display like that is ideal for something like a simple 3D action game, but really the overwhelming majority of games will want to display some sort of useful statistics on the screen as well. When you're dealing with such small screens, the information displays have to be comparatively huger. The screen gets filled up pretty quickly.

I think the biggest advantage to the DS is the touchscreen though. We've heard how Metroid Prime: Hunter's controls will work: how the touchscreen will be used for mouselook.
The fact that the DS will presumably be connectable to the Gamecube leads me to believe that, not only will the DS be the choice platform for handheld FPS titles for the foreseeable future, but that it'll also be the controller of choice for all console FPS titles. So basically what I'm saying is that I expect amazing things to come out of this for the Gamecube/Gamecube 2.

The PSP is pretty impressive in terms of a plain, cut-and-dry handheld, but there's absolutely no innovation in the design whatsoever. They're just copying the Gameboy and adding a faster processor, a bigger screen and a bigger cartridge. It's like the Game Gear for a new generation and I honestly hope they fail horribly for it.
2004-05-12, 5:55 PM #28
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Jon`C:
I honestly think the DS is going to blow this thing out of the water. The PSP has more impressive graphics - I don't think the PSP is quite up to the PS2's level, but it comes close. A lot closer than the DS comes. But really, when you come right down to it amazing graphics isn't the main thing on the minds of consumers. If graphics were even half as important as some of you think the Xbox would have been a reasonable success (as opposed to the animated corpse of a laughable console kept alive only because of Microsoft's fat pocketbook).

The DS has huge, colossal advantages over the PSP. Much like the PS2 at its release, the DS has an established title base of tens of thousands of games - every single game made for a Nintendo handheld before it. That's a pretty huge library. A lot of the people who are major handheld gamers have a large library of games for it already, and they'd be far more inclined to pick one up than the Sony offering.

The DS has more screen real-estate, even though each individual screen is smaller than the big honking widescreen in the PSP. A large, single display like that is ideal for something like a simple 3D action game, but really the overwhelming majority of games will want to display some sort of useful statistics on the screen as well. When you're dealing with such small screens, the information displays have to be comparatively huger. The screen gets filled up pretty quickly.

I think the biggest advantage to the DS is the touchscreen though. We've heard how Metroid Prime: Hunter's controls will work: how the touchscreen will be used for mouselook.
The fact that the DS will presumably be connectable to the Gamecube leads me to believe that, not only will the DS be the choice platform for handheld FPS titles for the foreseeable future, but that it'll also be the controller of choice for all console FPS titles. So basically what I'm saying is that I expect amazing things to come out of this for the Gamecube/Gamecube 2.

The PSP is pretty impressive in terms of a plain, cut-and-dry handheld, but there's absolutely no innovation in the design whatsoever. They're just copying the Gameboy and adding a faster processor, a bigger screen and a bigger cartridge. It's like the Game Gear for a new generation and I honestly hope they fail horribly for it.
</font>

No....no.. Okay, first, everyone has a GBA. EVERYONE. If they don't they are the minority. Also, if they don't, they WEREN'T holding out for the DS. The DS brings the dual screen...w00t?

PSP--MP3s, Movies, and Games. No innovation? Awesome games already established, awesome price, like 159 for that caliber of a handheld is sweet, and awesome design. Sleek, stylish, it's every gamer's wet dream.

Some say "People aren't looking for just graphics". Maybe not, but the PSP has Ape Escape, a new Metal Gear, a Devil May Cry, a Viewtiful Joe, GT4 mobile, Hot Shots Golf, Tales of Eternia, and an Armored Core released for it. Please, I beg of you, tell me that those aren't awesome titles. Whatever you say will be laughed at. I'm sorry, PSP is win.

------------------
There is no signature
D E A T H
2004-05-12, 6:05 PM #29
also PSP will have NBA Street

it's already on my want list... the DS still has yet to prove itself

------------------
LONG LIVE DREAMCAST!!!
2004-05-12, 6:13 PM #30
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by DrkJedi82:
also PSP will have NBA Street

it's already on my want list... the DS still has yet to prove itself

</font>

<3 Jim

------------------
There is no signature
D E A T H
2004-05-12, 8:03 PM #31
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Dj Yoshi:
Some say "People aren't looking for just graphics". Maybe not, but the PSP has Ape Escape, a new Metal Gear, a Devil May Cry, a Viewtiful Joe, GT4 mobile, Hot Shots Golf, Tales of Eternia, and an Armored Core released for it. Please, I beg of you, tell me that those aren't awesome titles. Whatever you say will be laughed at. I'm sorry, PSP is win.</font>

I honestly can't say that I care about any of those titles. I'd rather play a 4-player 3D Mario game, a new Metroid Prime and a pair of 3D Pokemon titles. Laugh away if you really want to, but my opinion appears to be more or less in line with the general direction of the handheld market to date.

Nintendo has never even been challenged on the handheld front. Ultimately the success of a handheld is based on the target audience for the handheld console, and through some creative game design, a virtual monopoly, some advertising and price reductions the market for a handheld is pretty much in line with the market for Nintendo games.

You're horribly, horribly wrong when you claim that the ability to "watch movies" or "play MP3s" will really influence sales for this console. (How is that supposed to work, anyway? Do you have to buy movies on those special cartridges? I'm sure that'll go over really well)
The SEGA Game Gear was an undeniable failure, even though it had a backlit color screen and a TV tuner. Gimmicks and even more advanced technology have not worked to sell handhelds. The Game Gear sold poorly because it was bigger than the Gameboy, it had few good games, and it had a battery life of about 2 hours (gee, sounds like something familiar)

So tell me... when little Timmy asks his daddy for a game so he has something to do on their cartrip, is he going to ask for GT4 or a Pokemon game? When an average bloke is looking for something to play on his bus ride home, will he look for a complex RPG or is he going to go for the simple action mission-based Mario game?

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">The best-selling Gameboy Advance games, according to the Nintendo website:
1.) Metroid: Zero Mission
2.) Super Mario Advance 4: Super Mario Bros. 3
3.) Yu-Gi-Oh! World Championship Tournament 2004
4.) Pokemon Ruby
5.) Pokemon Sapphire
6.) Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
7.) Sonic Battle
8.) Donkey Kong Country
9.) Yu-Gi-Oh! The Sacred Cards
10.) Super Mario World: Super Mario Advance 2
</font>

Keep laughing; your opinion doesn't mean jack when the invisible hand is ***** slapping you into next week.
2004-05-12, 8:49 PM #32
Quote:
stuff</font>

first of all it's a disc not a cartridge, second maybe the current handheld market is the way it is because of the limitation of what is available (as in only one option for the system) now that Nintendo has something else as competition in the handheld market (don't count the n-gage it's a cell-phone with game playing ability, it wasn't designed as a game system or it owuld be easier to change games) maybe the handheld market will change... i say both systems will be worth looking into

and personally i would like to play alot of these games on car trips since the times i usually play my GBA are either times when i could play any other system i own... or if i'm in a situation where i can't and actually have TIME to play the games... and i know i am not alone

------------------
LONG LIVE DREAMCAST!!!
2004-05-12, 8:57 PM #33
Quote:
first of all it's a disc not a cartridge,</font>

The disc is in a plastic cartridge mang.
But gg.

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by the Gamespot article:
Its built-in lithium-ion battery will have a life of 2.5 hours with video</font>

That's for playing video. I'm just assuming here that maybe, just maybe, it takes more power to play an interactive video game than it does to watch a movie. But if we assume that it's about equal, that's still not very damn portable. The whole point of a pocket console is to be portable.

I want more than that out of my battery life, and I don't want to be tethered to a power outlet - especially if I'm taking it on a plane or on a bus trip. And I know I'm not alone either.

Edit: For comparison, the GBA SP lasts for about 11 hours with the frontlight on. ~18 hours with the frontlight off. The DS is estimated to last about 10 hours too, I think.

Plus it has two screens and it's a fair bit smaller than the PSP when the clamshell is closed. It's a winner - the PSP, as I said, is just a GBA clone - a Game Gear for a new generation.

[This message has been edited by Jon`C (edited May 13, 2004).]
2004-05-12, 9:48 PM #34
Quote:

Plus it has two screens and it's a fair bit smaller than the PSP when the clamshell is closed. It's a winner - the PSP, as I said, is just a GBA clone - a Game Gear for a new generation.
</font>

Except...and I know this may sound very crazy...some of us are looking forward to Metal Gear, GT4, and Armored Core...

------------------
0 of 14.
omnia mea mecum porto
2004-05-13, 1:24 AM #35
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Roach:
Except...and I know this may sound very crazy...some of us are looking forward to Metal Gear, GT4, and Armored Core...</font>

That's nice.

Quote:
I honestly think the DS is going to blow this thing out of the water.</font>

I want to see Doom 3 for Linux, but I'd have to be pretty dumb if I actually thought that such a venture would generate a profit.

Looking back into my own past, I really looked forward to Rogue Leader, but the Gamecube had no chance against an established market leader so late in the generation. I may have looked forward to it, and I may have even claimed that the Gamecube was going to kill the PS2, but the market didn't work out that way (for various reasons which I understand a lot better now).

The real test of a product's market endurance lies in Japan. Make absolutely no mistake about that one.
What we'll be looking at is a more or less simultaneous release of the PSP and the DS, as these things usually happen in cases where major competitors demonstrate similar near-finished products at a major trade show like E3.

The opening strength of a platform depends a lot more on the quantity of launch titles far more than the quality. This is one of the many problems that stunted the N64 so early on and ultimately gave room for Sony to completely displace Nintendo as the market leader. N64 hardware sales were quite good, but there weren't enough games to keep the reasonably temperamental Japanese consumer from becoming too busy to buy a Playstation. (In fact there were only 3 launch titles for it. 2 in America, where it had a similar rejection).

I predict that the launch offerings for both units will be pretty mundane and maybe even a little stunted, unless both companies can pull together their developers and force them release a pretty amazing set of titles before the consoles are even officially completed.
If we assume that both companies face similar issues that they have in the past - namely third party adoption, slow consumer switchover and title delays, then we'll still be looking at a title shortage. Which means that, again, the console which can get the most play - the one that supports GBA games - is going to be the king.

People will see a huge mound of Metroid Zero Mission, 2D Mario games, Sonic games, Pokemon Ruby/Sapphire, 3D Metroids and Marios, sitting next to a short stack of MGA, GT4 and AC, and they are going to go for the platform that offers them the biggest selection of titles. Again, it's not a complex equation... it's precisely how the Playstation 2 managed to get its roots into the market so easily: by offering consumers and developers a more gradual changeover through offering them assurance that they won't take a pocketbook hit by adopting the newer console.

When evaluating the hardware of a handheld it's a no-brainer. It has to have a reasonably long battery life, the buttons need to be placed a reasonable distance apart and in an acceptable configuration, it needs to be physically portable (small and light) and there should be some mechanism in place to prevent damage to sensitive components (such as the buttons or screen) and to prevent accidental activation. If you're looking at a market for little kids, you're not only looking at the kids who will be piffing the console about and whining when it stops working, but you'll also be looking at inept mothers who will transport the unit for her spawn by jamming it in her purse along with 5 keychains, used syringes and radioactive waste. The latter point is particularly crucial.

We've seen the evolution of the Gameboy in action over the past decade or so, and the simple physical design of the PSP resembles that of the original generation GBA with an added analog stick and an extra inch or so. Thus the PSP suffers from all of the problems of an open face handheld (plus we don't even know how sturdy the analog stick is going to be - an extra doohicky to get ripped off?), a really freakin' short battery life and it's entirely possible that their disc drive will generate additional noise (<- Can anybody find a source that indicates if the console makes noise? E3 sources exempted; expos tend to be pretty loud on the floor).

In closing, there are also different variables at work here than a normal console, so it's entirely possible that none of the common knowledge I just stated above is valid. I'm not arrogant enough to assume that I know more about marketing than Sony. I know for a fact that I don't, and my experience in selling games is still somewhat limited. However, it strikes me that Sony is trying to treat the PSP more like the Playstation 3 than they're treating it as the Playstation's little brother and that would be a pretty huge mistake.

We've never had a serious contender in the handheld market, and frankly I'm not even sure if the PSP will be one. We'll have to wait and see.

Oh, by the way...

Quote:
MAYBE THE CONSOLE MARKET IS ONLY THE WAY IT IS BECAUSE THE EVIL FASCISTS AT NINTENDO DON'T GIVE THE CONSUMER ANY CHOICE AND OTHER VARIOUS COMMENTS WHICH ONLY SERVE TO DISMISS AND IGNORE JON`C'S POST BECAUSE I CANNOT COMPETENTLY ANSWER ALL OF HIS POINTS WHICH HE SPENT A LONG TIME WRITING YARRR</font>

You're forgiven.

tl;dr: Just because you like something doesn't mean it's going to take over the industry.

[This message has been edited by Jon`C (edited May 13, 2004).]
2004-05-13, 2:52 AM #36
see, i've ignored posting on the thread till i saw GENKI way up at the top... that would be my reason to get the system, a game with my name

------------------
Kroko> Massassi is like Nazi Germany online, only it's not in Germany.
|\|\|\|\|\|
<kak> WHY DO THESE RETARDS CONTINUALLY TRY LINUX?
<kak> IT DOES NOT MAKE YOU COOL.
Holy soap opera Batman. - FGR
DARWIN WILL PREVENT THE DOWNFALL OF OUR RACE. - Rob
Free Jin!
2004-05-13, 5:25 AM #37
Wow Jon'C, lots of times I disagree with you, but now your posts are insightful and knowledgable. =)

I agree with Jon'C on this, the handheld market is a lot different than console's.

And isn't the DS also getting Viewtiful Joe?

The only handheld I own is Gamegear. I never got into the GBA or GBA SP because I never felt that it really offered me anything special.

The DS though finally has my interest again in handheld. Mainly due to the option of 16 player connectivity, and the fact Nintendo might be smart and rerelease some modified older titles that allow for online. (Super Mario 64 x4 being the first). Plus the design is innovative and trying something new.

I agree with Jon'C, the first time I saw the PSP I was like "That's it?" It really does look like a GBA ripoff.

Plus, if they do not fix that battery life it will fail. Guaranteed. The Game Gear had so much potential, but when it comes down to it, the battery life completely f'd it over.

And yeah, you can buy a wall adapater, but really - if you have access to a wall adapater, why would you not just play a PS2 rather than the PSP?
2004-05-13, 8:35 AM #38
1) About appealing to kids, the PSP is for adults...not kids. Read the overview.

2) If you see the 20-30 launch titles for the PSP, you'll notice you're horribly, horribly wrong. This is more than enough to sate the Adult audience, especially with the nature of them.

3) Viewtiful Joe is out for PSP.

------------------
There is no signature

[This message has been edited by Dj Yoshi (edited May 13, 2004).]
D E A T H

↑ Up to the top!