Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Free alternative to HoverDesk?
Free alternative to HoverDesk?
2003-12-18, 11:13 AM #1
Anyone know of a good application that does the same kind of thing as HoverDesk but its free? I dont want to have to pay for something that just makes my screen pretty.

------------------
"Ahhhh!! I'm Burnin'! I'm Burnin!!!" - Cleaner from Max Payne 2
Quote Originally Posted by FastGamerr
"hurr hairy guy said my backhair looks dumb hurr hairy guy smash"
2003-12-18, 11:18 AM #2
What's HoverDesk?

LiteStep, ObjectDock?

------------------
1 of 14 - The Coucil still lives
6-16 Never Forget.
Click.
1 of 14 | 6-16 Never Forget. | Click.
2003-12-18, 11:19 AM #3
Hoverdesk is a program that completely reconfigures the desktop, or more or less runs over it and just creates its own shortcuts. Programs like this are pretty demanding on the system, but i think i can handle one.

------------------
2003-12-18, 11:31 AM #4
I've tried litestep twice, and both times switched back to the regular desktop after a few days... there were just too many bugs with the non-default skins.

------------------
You underestimate the power of the Dark Side...

DSettahr's Homepage
2003-12-18, 11:46 AM #5
KDE. Eyecandy wihtout the cost... [http://forums.massassi.net/html/wink.gif]

------------------
Fight the future.
And when the moment is right, I'm gonna fly a kite.
2003-12-18, 12:16 PM #6
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by DSettahr:
I've tried litestep twice, and both times switched back to the regular desktop after a few days... there were just too many bugs with the non-default skins.

</font>

As Massassi's most avid supporter of LiteStep, I must hartily disagree. If you read all the instructions and download all the modules that you're supposed to download in addition to the installer, then the themes more often than not don't take any configuration.

Your problem probably arose because you failed to update from not only the newest version of the OTS installer, but also to the newest version of IndieStep. Most of the new themes are created for IndieStep, not standard OTS modules.

LiteStep is win.

------------------
-=I'm the wang of this here site, and it's HUGE! So just imagine how big I am.=-
1337Yectiwan
OSC Returns!!
10 of 14 -- 27 Lives On

[This message has been edited by Yecti (edited December 18, 2003).]
-=I'm the wang of this here site, and it's HUGE! So just imagine how big I am.=-
1337Yectiwan
The OSC Empire
10 of 14 -- 27 Lives On
2003-12-18, 12:22 PM #7
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by GBK:
KDE. Eyecandy wihtout the cost... [http://forums.massassi.net/html/wink.gif]

</font>

KDE is hideously ugly [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]
Detty. Professional Expert.
Flickr Twitter
2003-12-18, 12:33 PM #8
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Yecti:
As Massassi's most avid supporter of LiteStep, I must hartily disagree. If you read all the instructions and download all the modules that you're supposed to download in addition to the installer, then the themes more often than not don't take any configuration.

Your problem probably arose because you failed to update from not only the newest version of the OTS installer, but also to the newest version of IndieStep. Most of the new themes are created for IndieStep, not standard OTS modules.

LiteStep is win.

</font>

Everything you just said only reaffirmed my choice to stick with the default windows environment. Litestep is way too complicated to be worth it (for me, at least).

------------------
You underestimate the power of the Dark Side...

DSettahr's Homepage

[This message has been edited by DSettahr (edited December 18, 2003).]
2003-12-18, 1:02 PM #9
who cares what their desktop looks like? how much does one look at it anyway?
2003-12-18, 1:05 PM #10
The image isn't going to load, so I'll edit it out. But I look at my desktop alot. But LiteStep actually uses less system resources than explorer.exe Sometimes it's not much less, but yeah. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/smile.gif]

------------------
1337Yectiwan
OSC Returns!!
10 of 14 -- 27 Lives On
1337Yectiwan
The OSC Empire
10 of 14 -- 27 Lives On
2003-12-18, 2:18 PM #11
I thought KDE was Linux...:/ If it's for windows, link me biznatch XD

------------------
There is no signature
D E A T H
2003-12-18, 2:24 PM #12
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Yecti:
The image isn't going to load, so I'll edit it out. But I look at my desktop alot. But LiteStep actually uses less system resources than explorer.exe Sometimes it's not much less, but yeah. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/smile.gif]

</font>

You're exactly right. Not much less. Out of total curiosity and desperation to try and grab a little more free memory for my really lame 90Mhz, 64mb RAM system, I installed it.

It ran the defualt theme with nothing added ontop of it, and it sucked the same amount of resources Explorer did.

I uninstalled after poking around it for a bit and reclaimed my HD space. That was enough for me. It may be better, but I don't want to configure every little thing and spend countless amount of time to make it usable.

------------------
Frogblast the Vent Core!

--End of Line--
"In the beginning, the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move." - Douglas Adams
Are you finding Ling-Ling's head?
Last Stand
2003-12-18, 2:28 PM #13
you know what's sad? That 90 MHz system had as much RAM as i did 2 months ago. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/frown.gif]

------------------
There is no signature
D E A T H
2003-12-18, 2:34 PM #14
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Dj Yoshi:
you know what's sad? That 90 MHz system had as much RAM as i did 2 months ago. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/frown.gif]

</font>

Not had, HAS. I still use that system regularly. And this insident occured recently. About a month ago to be exact.

------------------
Frogblast the Vent Core!

--End of Line--
"In the beginning, the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move." - Douglas Adams
Are you finding Ling-Ling's head?
Last Stand
2003-12-18, 2:37 PM #15
Had meaning I have more RAM now [http://forums.massassi.net/html/smile.gif]

------------------
There is no signature
D E A T H
2003-12-18, 2:45 PM #16
Im liking LiteStep

------------------
2003-12-18, 2:58 PM #17
but yah i need more ram. Anything to save on resource usage I'll take...my comp sucks. If anyone has any suggestions, do tell. Using--

P700 Celeron
192 MB SDRAM
Forget name of HDD, 5200 RPS, 13 gigs(w/ windows installed), 2.44 gigs free

video card and such isn't really important in a resources issue :/

------------------
There is no signature
D E A T H
2003-12-18, 4:26 PM #18
I also am an avid supporter of LifeSteps, in my case it did significantly reduce the memory footprint of my shell, but I also like it because, and lets face it. THERE IS NO LOGICAL REASON FOR WINDOWS TO BE CONFIGURED THE WAY IT IS? Why certain things are where they are is simply a case of "seemed like a good idea at the time" or "lets just put it here until we get a better idea, then never do it". I can access EVERY file on my HDDs or CDs with ONE right click on the desktop and without having to open a windows or configure a shortcut. I can add/remove shell modules quickly, and even have live resource monitors built in (most lifesteps skins have this) Finally, I also configured it to better support my "insane number of windows spawns" internet browsing style: I simply shift click every link that looks interesting, let the pages queue up, and look through them latter (with normal Explorer the taskbar icons keep getting smaller and smaller, in lifesteps it is configured just to stack them upwards...

Long story short, if you like icons, and strange yet familiar menu systems, use Explorer shell, if you want more efficient or minimalistic approach to a shell, and are willing to learn/reconfigure a somewhat complex set of programs, dlls, and even a basic programming language (!bang commands), go for lifesteps...

------------------
"Well, if I am not drunk, I am mad, but I trust I can behave like a gentleman in either
condition."... G. K. Chesterton
"Well, if I am not drunk, I am mad, but I trust I can behave like a gentleman in either
condition."... G. K. Chesterton

“questions are a burden to others; answers a prison for oneself”

↑ Up to the top!