Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → What good is any of this?
What good is any of this?
2004-05-17, 7:43 AM #1
We're cleaning out our basement for the first time in who knows how long, and we have loads of old computer stuff. My dad will say, "This is worth $3000!" but that was 15 years ago. Is there anything to do with loads of old CDs, Diskettes, <1 GB hard drives, tape drives that have never been opened (1 tape holds about 140 MB), or outdated versions of random programs besides just throwing them away?

------------------
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke

"Never let your sense of morals prevent you from doing what is right." -Isaac Asimov
"Flowers and a landscape were the only attractions here. And so, as there was no good reason for coming, nobody came."
2004-05-17, 7:46 AM #2
If there's enough to make a full old skool system it'll be good for nostalgia value - you can play old dos games without worrying about compatibilty. Probably not much other worth in it all than that I'm afraid (But hardly claim to be an expert!)

[http://forums.massassi.net/html/smile.gif]

------------------
If at first you don't succeed, lower your standards.
2004-05-17, 7:50 AM #3
Yeah, recycle them. Don't throw them away, it's a tremendous waste of resources.

------------------
EvilMagic.net: Brian's Web Log
2004-05-17, 8:11 AM #4
Oh I forgot, we have an unused cartredge CD drive too. I dunno the real name, but you should be able to figure out what it is.

Where would we recycle the stuff? Do you just mean the metal bin at the dump?

------------------
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke

"Never let your sense of morals prevent you from doing what is right." -Isaac Asimov
"Flowers and a landscape were the only attractions here. And so, as there was no good reason for coming, nobody came."
2004-05-17, 8:50 AM #5
I believe that would be called a caddy.

Yeah those were the days. Or not.

------------------
http://www.sporkaudio.com
gbk is 50 probably

MB IS FAT
2004-05-17, 9:05 AM #6
If you could rig lots of those old Hds together in one case, and get a mobo and a < 1 ghz chip (any more would be a waste), you could make a decent server for not that much money.

I doubt it would run windows too well, but it would make an excellent linux server.

------------------
Old aunts used to come up to me at weddings, poking me in the ribs and cackling, telling me, "You're next." They stopped after I started doing the same thing to them at funerals.

[This message has been edited by Pagewizard_YKS (edited May 17, 2004).]
2004-05-17, 10:13 AM #7
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Bobbert006:
Where would we recycle the stuff? Do you just mean the metal bin at the dump?

</font>

Call your waste managemnet company and ask them about computer recycling. There also might be places in the phone book.

------------------
I'm not an actor. I just play one on TV.
Pissed Off?
2004-05-17, 10:24 AM #8
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Martyn:
If there's enough to make a full old skool system it'll be good for nostalgia value</font>

------------------
Kids must be shot by Monday.

Honesty tests for workers can't be trusted, report says.

Psychopaths are unpredictable.

Jay Leno's Headlines > Everything
||Arena of Fire || Grand Temple of Fire ||

The man who believes he can and the man who believes he can't are both right. Which are you?
2004-05-17, 12:43 PM #9
This stuff is interesting. We found a nice clicky keyboard and a portable CD player the size of a 2 inch, 3 ring binder. Oh, and DOS 2.0 and Basic.

------------------

2004-05-17, 7:12 PM #10
Quote:
This stuff is interesting. We found a nice clicky keyboard and a portable CD player the size of a 2 inch, 3 ring binder. Oh, and DOS 2.0 and Basic.

</font>

Dude, seriously, make a nostalgia PC. That'd be so awesome. Then see if you can get DF1 running on it well. BUAHAHAHA

------------------
There is no signature
D E A T H
2004-05-17, 7:28 PM #11
Quote:

</font>

did you also find fossil dinosaurs and mummies? [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]

------------------
Old aunts used to come up to me at weddings, poking me in the ribs and cackling, telling me, "You're next." They stopped after I started doing the same thing to them at funerals.
2004-05-17, 7:49 PM #12
If you have lots of old Hard Drives, I suggest making a Hard Drive poster. It's the coolest thing I've ever made. Just take a bunch of drives and open them up to expose the platters and weld them together to make a big shiny poster. But be warned, you will need a stud or some serious mounting supports to hang it. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/smile.gif]

------------------
-=I'm the wang of this here site, and it's HUGE! So just imagine how big I am.=-
1337Yectiwan
OSC Returns!!
10 of 14 -- 27 Lives On
-=I'm the wang of this here site, and it's HUGE! So just imagine how big I am.=-
1337Yectiwan
The OSC Empire
10 of 14 -- 27 Lives On
2004-05-18, 6:42 AM #13
dude that sounds awsome^^^^^^!

------------------
IMPORTANT NOTICE PLEASE READ

Employees dying on the job are faling to fall down. THIS PRACTICE MUST STOP as it becmes impossible to distinguish between death and the natural movement of he staf.

Any employee found dead in an upright position will be dropped from the payroll.
Laughing at my spelling herts my feelings. Well laughing is fine actully, but posting about it is not.

↑ Up to the top!