Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → First the flags, now the olympics has transsexuals...
First the flags, now the olympics has transsexuals...
2004-05-17, 6:51 PM #1
http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20040517/ap_on_sp_ol/oly_ioc_transsexuals

Ok, they have offically lost it.

------------------
I can't think of anything to put here right now.
2004-05-17, 6:59 PM #2
My only question is where will they compete, or do they get their own set of events?

------------------
I'm not an actor. I just play one on TV.
Pissed Off?
2004-05-17, 7:59 PM #3
Well I guess they compete against what gender they are. It says they have to be of the new gender at least 2 years, and

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">...Olympics if their new gender has been legally recognized and they have gone through a minimum two-year period of postoperative hormone therapy.</font>

Also it mentions if the men who are now women will have an advantage over natural women.

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Some members had been concerned whether male-to-female transsexuals would have physical advantages competing against women.</font>

Personally I think its incredibly stupid any way you look at it. What was down there originally should determine what they play in.

------------------
2004-05-17, 8:14 PM #4
*holds back the laughter*

------------------
LONG LIVE DREAMCAST!!!
eat right, exercise, die anyway
2004-05-18, 4:54 AM #5
Hmmm, well if those doctors are right then the hormone therapy should mean that the men-to-women (is there a different less long word for that?) don't have huge advantages over other women, but that surprises me.
You'd think that if a huge two metre tall bodybuilder bloke became a woman s/he'd still retain the same masculinity and would have a considerable advantage over other women. But I guess you don't really need a sex change to get exceptionally masculine women.
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. " - Bertrand Russell
The Triumph of Stupidity in Mortals and Others 1931-1935
2004-05-18, 6:24 AM #6
This is the stupidest thing ever. Even the surgeons that perform these "miracles" say that males who get a gender change maintain their physically superior size/bone structure/whatnot.

But what about females who take testosterone in order to become "manly", would this make them stronger? Would this make it fair for them to compete against natural females?
2004-05-18, 6:26 AM #7
*assists Jim7*

------------------
I'm walking towards dead end, and I'm walking all alone. Two steps ago I passed insanity - Aleksi Laiho
"NAILFACE" - spe
2004-05-18, 6:30 AM #8
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Connection Problem:
This is the stupidest thing ever. Even the surgeons that perform these "miracles" say that males who get a gender change maintain their physically superior size/bone structure/whatnot.

But what about females who take testosterone in order to become "manly", would this make them stronger? Would this make it fair for them to compete against natural females?
</font>

Yes, this is why I agree with the person at the end of the article, of how the transexuals need to be judged on an individual basis. A somewhat small man turned into a woman would probably be of about the same size and stature as an average woman, so for him/her/it there'd be no problem.
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. " - Bertrand Russell
The Triumph of Stupidity in Mortals and Others 1931-1935
2004-05-18, 6:52 AM #9
But where do you draw the line? It must be really harsh to have gone through a sex change, be the best in the world (or thereabouts) in your field, then be told - "Nope, you're too manly to compete, come back in four years" but the next person in the queue, gets told "Yeah, you're fine - come on through, have a beer/high energy sports drink".

I think it's better to have a global yes, than a global no - which would be a touch unethical. I'm not saying it's the optimum solution, but it's probably the best they can come up with now / right thing to do.

My two pence.

[http://forums.massassi.net/html/smile.gif]

[EDIT: SPAG]

------------------
If at first you don't succeed, lower your standards.

[This message has been edited by Martyn (edited May 18, 2004).]
2004-05-18, 8:21 AM #10
I'm justa sweet transvistite, from transssexual transilvaniaaaa!

------------------
"A tiger? In Africa?!"

"True as toasted toads!"
"Jayne, this is something the Captain has to do for himself"

"N-No it's not!"

"Oh."
2004-05-18, 8:44 AM #11
That movie was disturbing...

That's a tough question really. You could say that men who are now women must compete with men to be safe on whether or not their original masculinity has disappeared or not, and women who are taking testosterone to be with men to be fair, since they can't compete with women, but that sounds rather sexist ... or something.

At the moment, I'm kind of inclined to say it shouldn't be allowed at all. Why should a women who becomes a man through hormone therepy with testosterone be allowed to compete with men, while a normal female athlete taking testosterone would be disqualified outright?

And who is to say these males/former females are taking the right amount of testosterone? Who is to define the "right amount?" A man taking testosterone would be disqualified, yet a male/former female can load up on as much of the stuff as makes her/him "feel right."

It may sound unfair, but I don't think there is any possible way to regulate it.

[edit]spelling.

------------------
Steal my dreams and sell them back to me.....

[This message has been edited by Bounty Hunter 4 hire (edited May 18, 2004).]
Steal my dreams and sell them back to me.....
2004-05-18, 8:49 AM #12
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Mort-Hog:
You'd think that if a huge two metre tall bodybuilder bloke became a woman s/he'd still retain the same masculinity and would have a considerable advantage over other women.</font>

He would lose a considerable amount of his figure without the high levels of testosterone, especially over the two year period. Though s/he would probably have an advantage over natural women.

------------------
Roach - Caught in the war of hemispheres.
0 of 14.
omnia mea mecum porto

↑ Up to the top!