Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → JED Source Code
JED Source Code
2005-07-24, 4:15 PM #81
Anyone here have any of the real old version of JED? I only have a few, I'm trying to get them all...
2005-07-24, 7:32 PM #82
Quote:
Anyone here have any of the real old version of JED? I only have a few, I'm trying to get them all...

Collector's iitems? :)

Quote:
I can't imagine how much could have survived from wdfuse and lawmaker.

The entire file and texture managing code went into JED with minor changes. That's what I remember. Probably there's more. Whether anything from WDFUSE made into JED - that I don't know :)

Quote:
I'd be interested in knowing how you implemented the grid. I'm thinking you would have to project the mouse-positions from screen space to world space, then to grid space; snap them; then transform them back to world space before you could use them in the cleaving algorithm.

If I remember right, here's how I did it. Using OpenGL (or custom routine if software was used for wireframe display) I would do a reverse transform of a point on the screen with Z=0 and Z=very far. That would give me the line projects on the mouse position on the screen. The rest of the operations were done in 3D space. I would calculate where this line intersects the grid plane. Then in grid plane snap this point to the nearest grid node, and go from there.

BTW, grid is actually a 3D object
2005-07-24, 7:53 PM #83
Originally posted by Jon`C:
If that is I so totally call him. ;)

I think we'd all love to see an updated version of JED supporting the new SITH2 features... when it's done of course.
New! Fun removed by Vinny :[
2005-07-24, 8:17 PM #84
Originally posted by Bender:
Collector's iitems? :)

Yeah, I know, it sounds silly, but I personally would love to try out the original JED.
2005-07-24, 11:10 PM #85
Quote:
Yeah, I know, it sounds silly, but I personally would love to try out the original JED.

I just looked - the oldest I have is 0.8.
2005-07-24, 11:11 PM #86
Quote:
I think we'd all love to see an updated version of JED supporting the new SITH2 features... when it's done of course.

You know, it's kind of a bad luck to talk this way about the project before it's almost finished :)
2005-07-25, 12:06 AM #87
Bender, I don't mean to pile onto the list of requested features, but there is one bugfix/feature that might be useful and very easy to do. It would be nice if surface selection was done in the order of distance from the camera. So if you have a couple of sectors whose surfaces overlap on the screen, the first selected should be the one closest to the camera, the last one should be furthest from the camera. It seems like JED does this sometimes but not always. More than often it seems like you have to click very fast or very many times to select the surface you want.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2005-07-25, 3:03 AM #88
Jed selects things in the order they were originally created, I think. Everything in the level has a unigue ID. Presumably, they are stored in memory in this order, so, it's easier to just do it that way.
2005-07-25, 8:59 AM #89
Easier, yes, convenient, no.
2005-07-25, 3:31 PM #90
This might not be as easy as it sounds. I'll take a look.
2005-07-25, 5:06 PM #91
Originally posted by oSiRiS:

I might finally sit down and learn how to use JED if this happens. I really would love to be able to make levels for JK, and a new engine and a new editor might finally give me the kick in the butt to learn how.
||Arena of Fire || Grand Temple of Fire ||

The man who believes he can and the man who believes he can't are both right. Which are you?
2005-07-25, 5:28 PM #92
JED isn't very hard to learn. I thought is was weird and confusing until i discovered the C button, and shortly after, I discovered the M button.
visit my project

"I wonder to myself. Why? Simply why? Why why? Why do I ask why? Why do I need to find out why? Why do I have to ask why as a question? Why is why always used to find out why? Why is the answer to why always why? Why is there no final answer to why? Simply why not? Holy cow, this is pretty deep, meaningful **** I wrote. Glad I wrote it down. Oh man."
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯ [slog], Echoman
2005-07-25, 6:02 PM #93
I remember one time NorthChaos showed me a brilliant technigue for creating borders around arches (I should probably write a tutorial on it... I don't think I've seen it anywhere but in NC's and my own work). At one point he was saying 'Okay, now we have to delete both surfaces, and use the recovery tools to build a new one...' and I said 'Can't we just merge them?'. His response was 'You can do that? OMG!'.

Thinking about it more - yes, I have deffinitly never seen that technigue used anywhere but in NC's and my own stuff. Who's interested?

Selecting surfaces based on depth -
Every time you clicked, you would have build a list of polies under the mouse sorted by distance from the camera. You could run through with the current selection algorithm, building a list of all the polygons under the mouse. Then you have to sort them by depth.
If the currently selected polygon is in the list, select the one immediatly behind it.
If not, select the one on top.

Currently, the selection algorithm just starts looking with the surface right after the currently selected one, doesn't it? Simplest way I can think of to implement the pick-next-in-jkl-order algorithm.
2005-07-25, 6:10 PM #94
it's amazing how many people don't know about the Join command.
Detty. Professional Expert.
Flickr Twitter
2005-07-25, 6:11 PM #95
Actually we were talking about merge... but join is handy too. Sometimes tended to cut up the surfaces in odd ways.
2005-07-25, 6:14 PM #96
I know you were talking about the Merge command, because I can read. I was Making A Contribution.

Recently someone asked for a plugin that did the same thing as the Join command, claiming it was a much-needed addition to the editor.
Detty. Professional Expert.
Flickr Twitter
2005-07-25, 6:16 PM #97
That's actually... rather hillarious.
2005-07-25, 6:38 PM #98
AdjoinJiffy and AdjoinJiffyQuicky will do something similar to the Join command, but a bit more efficient if I recall.
2005-07-25, 10:04 PM #99
I looked - JED does sort selected objects by distance if you use OpenGL for the wireframe renderer.

If you use software renderer, it does not sort. if you want sorting switch to OpenGL in Options.
2005-07-26, 8:11 AM #100
So is JED going to be used for other games now (as someone posted earlier)

if so, what games?
2005-07-29, 7:21 PM #101
Originally posted by Bender:
Whether anything from WDFUSE made into JED - that I don't know :)

The window layout certantly did. :p

↑ Up to the top!